Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

symptoms of brain tumour

Options
  • 21-07-2010 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

I am the proud owner of a beautiful boxer. unfortunately over the last few months her health has been very poor (she's only 4 since May). She started getting seizures / fits and our vet diagnosed her with epilepsy. She went on medication straight away and thankfully didnt get any more fits.

Couple of weeks ago she started getting very wobbly on her legs and she was finding it hard to walk as her balance was way off. Took her to vet again and to our horror he said he thinks she may actually have a brain tumour. Apparently she is showing all the signs of it (fits / seizures, unsteady on her legs, losing her balance etc). We're heartbroken.

He put her on an anti-inflammatory for a week to see if she would improve. He said these may help reduce swelling in her brain and relieve pressure. Low and behold she improved after a couple of days of being on these tablets so its not looking good for her. Unfortunately these tablets are not a long term treatment so we're at our wits end as to what to do.

She seems fine at the moment. she's on the tablets for another 2 weeks but he has reduced the dose to see how she gets on. Apparently the only way to know for sure if it is a brain tumour is to get an MRI scan done which costs an absolute fortune (somewhere in the region of Eur1,200.00!)

Basically im just wondering has anybody else been in a similiar situation? I'm hoping and praying its not a tumour and that maybe the epilepsy medication was just gone a bit high in her system and thats what was causing her to be so unsteady on her feet. We got the vet to do a blood test to check the levels of epilepsy meds in her system and we'll have the results of that on Friday. I'm distraught. Cant think about anything else. The thought of having to put her down is unbearable :(

Advertisement