Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the greatest smartphone?

Options
  • 21-07-2010 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭

I currently own a HTC HD2 and I have to say I'm very impressed with it. The large 4.3inch screen is amazing for web browsing and watching movies. I think I'll be going for an Android phone as my next purchase, but probably not for a few more months yet.

So, what do you think is the latest and greatest or do you know of anything exciting being released over the next few months?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

why buy an android phone if u can run android on ur hd2 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

im using the new v5 desire build right now all day and no crashing or freezing...few problems, still few things not working but its stable

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Samsung I9000 Galaxy S currently rules the roost, according to GSM Arena.
    If you are looking for the ultimate Android device, there are very few things really to make you consider another handset.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9000_galaxy_s-review-478p9.php

good phone but i think its an ugly phone...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Must say I like the iPhone generally and also my current 5800 for good features.
    Haven't tried an Android yet.

biko wrote: »
    Must say I like the iPhone generally and also my current 5800 for good features.

Can i ask what your using the 5800 for? , because that is my current phone and i can't wait to get rid of it for the desire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Best phone I've used would be either the iPhone 3GS or the HTC Desire. Also had an iPhone 4, wasn't a fan.

Have the Desire now, and I would rather it over the 3gs, as it isn't as restrictive, is fast,smooth,a and good size screen.

The touch screen is only ever so slightly behind the iphone, and I really do mean that, it's much of a muchness.

So all in all, very happy with the HTC, and really liking android for a change. Next phone wont be for another year, but will probably go for whatever the flagship android phone is, preferably a HTC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭not_xanthor

Much as i dislike Apple...it's probably the iPhone.

Calling the 5800 a smartphone is being generous.

but 5800 is a brilliant phone for the money! and it has symbian and as much **** it is it is a OS which makes it a smarthphone...

• Advertisement

but 5800 is a brilliant phone for the money!

Do they even sell it anymore!

It's not a bad phone but I've had enough of it. Granted the recent update to v50 has made the phone a lot more usable but it's miles behind android.

Can't wait to leave it for the Desire

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Do they even sell it anymore!

It's not a bad phone but I've had enough of it. Granted the recent update to v50 has made the phone a lot more usable but it's miles behind android.

Can't wait to leave it for the Desire

i miss mine...was best the best music phone i had...ok a bit slow and all and when u fill up the card with music it takes ages for it to load when going in to the library first...but battery life+music quality from the headphones and the stereo speakers was best ever!!! it did was it was meant to do for me :P i wish my hd2 had great speakers like it and audio quality :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

In terms of compactness, music and 8mp photo quality I would choose the SE W995

i bought my mother that...camera ok but could be better...
    and music speaker quality is nowhere close to the 5800

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Can i ask what your using the 5800 for? , because that is my current phone and i can't wait to get rid of it for the desire
    I've no problems with texting or calling, actually I used to hate texting from my old Samsung. 5800 have restored the easiness of texting.
    I use the free voice guided GPS for driving and walking (just testing it out really).
    The music quality is great and with a good set of headphones it matches/ surpasses most players I've had.
    There's a lot of apps for it, some more useful than others (just like with the iPhone).
    Only issues I can think of: auto-rotation can be a pain sometimes when lying down but is easily disabled.
    The plastic cover feels less secure than the metal covers of other phones.
    Battery life is about 48 hours with normal usage. This varies greatly from phone to phone, some can manage a week.
    Yes, there are slicker phones out there at 4 times the money but this is a great phone at its price.

Why would you want to get rid of it?
    A comparison

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I've no problems with texting or calling, actually I used to hate texting from my old Samsung. 5800 have restored the easiness of texting.
    I use the free voice guided GPS for driving and walking (just testing it out really).
    The music quality is great and with a good set of headphones it matches/ surpasses most players I've had.
    There's a lot of apps for it, some more useful than others (just like with the iPhone).
    Only issues I can think of: auto-rotation can be a pain sometimes when lying down but is easily disabled.
    The plastic cover feels less secure than the metal covers of other phones.
    Battery life is about 48 hours with normal usage. This varies greatly from phone to phone, some can manage a week.
    Yes, there are slicker phones out there at 4 times the money but this is a great phone at its price.

Why would you want to get rid of it?
    A comparison
    I had the 5800 for 6 months but got fed up after updating to V50. It just became way too laggy(sp?). I have a Desire now and imo they are worlds apart but I do wish I had the battery life from the 5800 on my Desire :(

Yeah, as you can see from the comparison you currently get twice the processor speed and RAM in the Desire. I don't have too many things going at the same time so haven't really been bothered by lagging yet. I've ordered a new battery (€15) so hopefully it'll return to about a weeks life. This is really only an issue when travelling, for me anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I've used the iPhone 3GS, Nokia N97 and HTC Desire (Android 2.1).
    Of those 3 my preferences are
    HTC first
    3GS second
    N97 - looooong way behind the other two but its battery life is great compared to iPhone / Desire.

Everything is customisable on the Desire (without messing about) and it's been rock solid.

It's also dependant on what OS you prefer, iOS, Android or Symbian.
    There are walkthroughs on youtube.

With N8 a new version of Symbian is out.

i wouldn't have hopes on Symbian...it looks like crappy version of android really...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

i have a 5800 and for me it is a pretty good phone. I have no experience with other smartphones so maybe I'm missing out on something but the 5800 serves my purposes perfectly. It has free voice guided GPS which is great and I find the interface easy to navigate and I don't have any issues with the screen and writing texts etc is grand.

The browser may be a bit rubbish but I just use Opera Mini and I'm only ever browsing to download podcasts which I can either listen to on the go or through the very good speaker.

The radio does freeze on me more than I like and occasionally there is an issue where it won't allow me to enter more than one letter of a password on a website. Other than that though, I like it a lot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

i have a 5800 and for me it is a pretty good phone. I have no experience with other smartphones so maybe I'm missing out on something but the 5800 serves my purposes perfectly. It has free voice guided GPS which is great and I find the interface easy to navigate and I don't have any issues with the screen and writing texts etc is grand.

I would have typed the same stuff as you 3 months ago (replacing 5800 with N97). Then I used the Desire. My wife has the N97 now and it's soooo annoying when she needs me to do something on that phone as I'm used to the Desire. It's just slow and clunky compared to Android.

With that said I haven't used the 5800 so if the OS is more responsive than the N97s my arguments don't matter.

I would have typed the same stuff as you 3 months ago (replacing 5800 with N97). Then I used the Desire. My wife has the N97 now and it's soooo annoying when she needs me to do something on that phone as I'm used to the Desire. It's just slow and clunky compared to Android.

With that said I haven't used the 5800 so if the OS is more responsive than the N97s my arguments don't matter.

its not far off it...they could have just put a faster engine into it but guess this is why the battery life on it was so generous...i mean i used to listen to music nearly all day everyday cycling to college and would last me around 3-4 days while randomly using wifi!!!

Thanks for the comparison biko:D

Don't get me wrong though it's a great little phone and the battery life is( or rather was) good i could easily get 4 days out of it but with the recent V50 update find it only lasting two now:(

The music player is decent and the speaker was brilliant one of the best I've seen in a phone.

But i've had bad experiences with it
    nokia5800fuzzyscreen.jpg

Do you know how hard it is to enter a phone number(:mad::mad:or a pin number:mad::mad:) with seeing the screen.

Thankfully now though it's fixed

Yeah I sat a whole evening on mine when out drunk, before I realised it's not good for the phone.
    Cost me 33 to fix diy. Now I'm more careful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Best smartphone on the Irish market for me has to be the HTC Desire. Does everything fast and perfectly and has a decent app store.

@evolutionqy7 The N8 is going to be the first and only top teir Nokia to use Symbian^3 so I don't see it getting much developer support.

@The Sparrow I was shocked how after only 2 days using a HTC Desire I found the 5800 to be soooooo slow and sluggish when up to then I though it was the dogs bollocks :eek:

@Keano A Legend 100% agree with ya about v50 being a horrid firmware for the 5800. 5800 user's should avoid v50 like the pox.

Advertisement