Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheque written in wrong name

Options
  • 21-07-2010 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I recieved a cheque that was had the wrong name under Pay To and was crossed so I couldn't lodge it.

The person who issued the cheque took the cheque back off me, put a line through the incorrect name and put the correct name above it along with his initials. Will the bank accept this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Deaddude wrote: »
    Hi all

I recieved a cheque that was had the wrong name under Pay To and was crossed so I couldn't lodge it.

The person who issued the cheque took the cheque back off me, put a line through the incorrect name and put the correct name above it along with his initials. Will the bank accept this?

no to be brief.

A crossed cheque is to payee only and having a name crossed out and another name in would require a least to be initialed by him beside the mistake but i would imagine the bank would not accept it even with that.

All the person needs to do is cancel that cheque and write out a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Well he did just that, crossed out the name put the correct name above it and put his initials beside it so I'm hoping that it is accepted?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

The only person who can alter a chq is the drawer. What he did was correct. The bank will take the chq.

The crossing stills stands but now applies to the new name.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭NCG

The only person who can alter a chq is the drawer. What he did was correct. The bank will take the chq.

The crossing stills stands but now applies to the new name.

Hopefully you have the money by now, but yes, the bank will accept the cheque. If it is a large amount they may contact him to confirm the change (ie that you didn't just change it yourself), but they generally just do this by a quick telephone call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭LordDorington

Can anyone advise me? I recently wrote a cheque before checking my balance and only later that day realised that there were insufficient funds to cover the amount. The company that I gave the cheque to actually processed it that afternoon and the money left my account within a few hours. This overdrew my account by four hundred euro, and I do not have an overdraft facility on my account. First off, I thought that without a cheque guarantee card, the bank should not have authorised immediate clearance of this cheque, second, that my acc should not have been pushed into overdraw (thought the cheque would bounce) and third, I thought that I had the right to cancel the cheque up to three days after? Bank have said there is nothing they can do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

If you write a cheque to pay for the something, the cheque guarantee, guarantess that the cheque will be honoured up to amounts of €130. The cheque guarantee is for your benefit when paying for something, it has nothing to do with immediate clerance of a cheque, they just guarantee they will pay checks you write up to 130. Hard to explain this but your understandance of this is wrong.

If you are cancelling a cheque you have to do it immediatley, you do not have three days to do same.

The peson you paid probably has the same bank as you hence why the cheque was debited immediatley, again not unusual.

The bank pushed through the cheque as they though they were doing you a favour, why would you write a cheque you didnt want to pay? they dont know that you would have preferred it to bounce. So they pushed it through, again not unusual.

Advertisement