Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

itchy dog!

Options
  • 21-07-2010 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭

My mams Carin terrier has a problem with an itch, every summer he gets little bumps all over him. He is driven mad with the itch. The vets cant diagnose it, their best guess is that it is due to Harvest mites,and this has only happened since he moved to the country. But they only give him an antihistamine injection and a few tablets. It doesnt ease it much for him.

Is there anything else that she can do to help him?? :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

My little Jack Russel also suffers badly with a rash. She has had allergy testing but that didn't show anything :(
    She spent most of last summer on steroids and antiboitics as it kept getting infected, so far this summer it hasn't been as bad.
    I found aloe vera gel helped sooth it for her and I would put her tshirt on so she couldn't just lick it straight off, the tshirt also helped with the scratching.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Ive had dogs and cats who got terrible irritation from Harvest Mites

This is what I found helped

Wash with shampoo with aloe vera, rub the lather right down into the skin and against the direction of hair growth. Make sure you get inbetween their toes. Leave the lather for a few minutes.

Also Dorwest Pennyroyal Shampoo is excellent.

Zooplus also do a foam that works. I think Beapher is the brand name.

Unfortunatley you might have to use these treatments every week from late summer until Autumn when the harvest mites are about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Thats great guys thanks for the advice. I'll pass it along to my mam,hopefully it'll help the poor little chap!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

If its harvest mites you'll be able to see these little scabby patches, they usually start around the feet, the travel upwards to arm pits and face and ears, they like warm and damp conditions.
    My two dogs got them last year and they were in kennels when the lady there spotted it. She treated them with a solution from the vets, stinky stuff but it worked, dabbed on with cotton buds where the mites were. Stopped the itching after a week or so, and once scabs fell off they were all gone.
    If its definitely harvest mites I can ask the lady what the stuff was she used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

The eldest dog had an itchy rash for the first time in her life last summer - the vet put it down to an allergy and gave me hydrocortisone creame to put on the rash, which didn't do much to be honest. I tried putting manuka honey on the rash, which cleared it up within days.

Whatever the allergy was, it hasn't reappeared this year

• Advertisement
Advertisement