Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black Rapid Camera Straps

• 21-07-2010 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Just to let you know....Photocare in Lr Abbey Street have just received the first consignment of the BlackRapid strap range from the USA.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

How much are they charging?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Highly recommended too! I just love mine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Highly recommended too! I just love mine...

Me too, just wondering the price.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 image1960

R-4 = €60
    R-5 = €70
    R-7 = €70
    RW-1 = €70
    DS (double strap) =€140

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

R-5 only 60 eur including shipping from BlackRapid site.

• Advertisement

coolmoose wrote: »

Ah, sure €10 in the difference to get it straight away isn't too bad, in fairness.

Still think it'd be madness to spend over €100 on a strap (speaking as an enthusiast with basic stuff - if you're carrying pro-level/expensive gear, then it's probably worth it).

Not a bad looking knock off here;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300448084119&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Might actually buy the knock off. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I'd definitely lol if I saw someone walking the street in that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I'd definitely lol if I saw someone walking the street in that...

... the spurs on their cowboy boots clinking against the pavement ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I wouldn't pay anything close to €70 for a strap! I thought hard about paying that for a lens recently :D

But I hate the Nikon one I got with my cam, I don't want to advertise for you Nikon, thanks very much. A quick peek at reviews of those Black Rapid straps says it uses the tripod thread on bottom of cameras? That is terrible if it's true, a lot of people like to keep the tripod mount screwed on the cam when out and about for handiness.

€10 is €10! €50 including shipping for the R-4, so they're all around €10 cheaper.

And no way would I wear a double strap unless I was a pro shooting an event or something!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I have the rs 4 and I really think it's worth it

And no way would I wear a double strap unless I was a pro shooting an event or something!

Really? I can't wear a single camera anymore. I always carry two. No matter what way I walked with one camera I was always uncomfortable. :(

You should try a sling type strap like the Black Rapid or similar...makes carrying one camera a joy, you'd almost forget it was there (and I'm talking a D200 with 70-200 and grip here

Still couldn't wear a harness or double strap myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

These things are too weird, I would look a right sight wearing that harness at a Wedding

Tried a sling style one before. Still wasn't mad into it. Have my own little makeshift double camera strap thingy (it's just a strap holding two camera straps together) and it's made life easier for me. Goes across my upper back/lower neck and makes it more comfortable.

Dunno what it is that makes it more comfortable. Common sense would say the additional weight of an extra camera will just make any uncomfortable-ness (real word?) worse, but I find it grand. Odd. Two cameras can be a bit diffcult at times, with narrow doorways or such, but at the end of the day, it's still just more comfortable in my opinion.

I bought that eBay knock off I linked to above. If it turns out to be OK, then I may invest in the blackrapid one down the line (after looking into it heavily of course. Would only pay €140 for a strap, if i was guaranteed i'd never need to replace it).

Its actually $77, so if you do the maths, that converts to €64 incl US mail which is slow and unreliable.
    Any business reseller ( and some internet shopper ) have to pay the Irish 21% Vat bringing the cost to €77.
    So to be able to buy locally ex stock at €70 is a very fair deal. I wish we could have as fair a price comparrison from the camera manufacturers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

image1960 wrote: »
    US mail which is slow and unreliable.

WHAT are you crazy!? The US mail is far from slow and as for unreliable, I always seem to get my bills (at my Irish address) at regular intervals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

US mail is pretty good, I've always found. Both EMS and US Mail have always been more reliable than most courier options when I've received packages from abroad.

The import taxes are a kicker you need to remember with that site. If it's €60 including shipping (for example), you'll pay €12.60 in VAT and €2.10 in customs duty (3.5%). Generally they'll tack on a service charge of a few euro for having the item go through customs in the first place, and if it's a courier or registered mail, rather than regular post, the company who deliver it will charge you an extra handling charge for picking it up at customs and finishing the delivery (UPS are the worst for this).

It sounds silly, but I get a lot of parts and the like from abroad, mainly US and Asia. I've been hit for everything from €3 to €210 in extra charges in the past. It's why I buy local as much as possible.

image1960 wrote: »
    Its actually $77, so if you do the maths, that converts to €64 incl US mail which is slow and unreliable.

Nope was €60.10 actually.

US mail is far from slow and unreliable by the way.

Granted some buyers may be unlucky and end up paying customs charges.

Out of curiosity, how much would you charge overall including shipping within Ireland for these straps?

The buy rate last week was 1.22 to the Euro. So this week its a little higher but I,m done with the petty stuff.
    If you want one posted in Ireland it would be at post cost. Will let you know tomorrow if you wish

• Advertisement

Nobody is being petty...I know this price for a fact as a friend bought one a few days ago from BR direct.

Ya that would be great thanks, I know a few who are interested in buying them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm still quite happy with the free smug-mug strap I got from a link on here!

For the sake of a few quid, I'd prefer to buy one in a shop here. I really do prefer being able to check something out before I'd buy it, and it's not the kind of price difference that'll break you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

A quick peek at reviews of those Black Rapid straps says it uses the tripod thread on bottom of cameras? That is terrible if it's true, a lot of people like to keep the tripod mount screwed on the cam when out and about for handiness.

no, that is briliant. i use my manfrotto tripod plate attached to the base of me camera and the blackrapid strap attaches straight to it. Meaning i can go from a really comforable strap to my camera on its tripod in a matter of seconds

i can't ever imagine using another strap again

Cost of post and packing in Ireland is €3
    BTW we include a voucher for 3 x 12x8" prints, free with each strap sold.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

Borderfox wrote: »
    These things are too weird, I would look a right sight wearing that harness at a Wedding

I have the double strap and wear it at weddings. It is a bit commando alright, but it saves my back and beats always having to remember where I put my 2nd camera.

Correction...it is 4 12x8" prints we are giving with each strap.
    Its a thank you for buying local, and an opportunity to show the quality of our prints.

Good to see. Fair dues, Image1960.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

DotOrg wrote: »
    no, that is briliant. i use my manfrotto tripod plate attached to the base of me camera and the blackrapid strap attaches straight to it. Meaning i can go from a really comforable strap to my camera on its tripod in a matter of seconds

i can't ever imagine using another strap again

Any worries about the weight of the gear - on a single fixing point - damaging the camera ?

• Advertisement

update on this...friend received his strap with no customs charges, so I ordered one myself to see, arrived this morning, no customs charges, cost me €61.68...not a huge saving I'll admit...but a saving nonetheless!

It's a joy to use, much better than the sling-type strap I was using. Anyone in Cork who wants to try it out before ordering from Photocare or online PM me and we can arrange.

Advertisement