Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dogs and moving day

Options
  • 21-07-2010 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Well I think it has finally dawned on my 2 wonderful dogs that we are moving... surprisingly the boxes and lack of couch didn't get to them but the boxes starting to disappear out the door has. Since this afternoon they have been hell to live with!

They are fighting each other, completely ignoring me when they aren't trying to sit on my lap (while i'm standing) and generally have regressed totally in behaviour :(

Does anyone have any advice on how I make the next 2 days easier for us all? We leave on Friday but will be packing the van and cleaning between now and then.

Please help it's horrible seeing them so out of sorts:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I'm not sure but I am in the same situation we are moving on Friday. They dont seem to notice what is going on yet but that could be cos we are way behind on packing!!

Just be careful when you get them to the new house, when we were moving before I was carrying Tilly, put her down for 2 seconds to pick up a box (stupid I know) and she had disappeared. Poor thing was scared it was pitch black and she didnt know where she was. Found her quickly but was a very scary minute! In other words make sure your garden (if you have one) is doggy proof and dont let them out of your sights until you have them secured!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Is there one room you can leave until last? A quieter place away from the action? Their blankets, beds,, extra food, extra walks?

When our time finally comes, the dogs will be loaded into the car before the van is packed for that reason. Away from the action.... This has worked before....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I agree with Graces7, put them in the car with blankets, toys, familiar stuff. That's what I did each time I moved with my dogs, and then parked the car around the corner because one dog got very upset when she saw strangers taking the stuff out of our house and putting it into a removal van.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I'm hoping to move in the next 6 mths and what I'm hoping to do, money permiting is to put my dogs in boarding kennels while the move is in process and I sort out the new garden for them. I know this might sound a bit drastic but I dont want to mess the dogs around and I have young children, I would be afraid they would escape in the middle of the move.

Best of luck with moving:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Knine wrote: »
    I'm hoping to move in the next 6 mths and what I'm hoping to do, money permiting is to put my dogs in boarding kennels while the move is in process and I sort out the new garden for them. I know this might sound a bit drastic but I dont want to mess the dogs around and I have young children, I would be afraid they would escape in the middle of the move.

Best of luck with moving:)

I have to admit i've caved in under the pressure and they are both off to kennels tomorrow until friday. My fabulous loving Jack Russel is off her mind at the moment, she's snappy and narky and really not coping with all the move and my springer just won't leave my side! This is not fair on them and they have been to these kennels before and loved them so I think it is for the best. By the time they come back on Friday the van will be packed. I will have their cages and toys ready in the car and then it'll be a nice long walk and then a silly long car and ferry journey. I feel so bad doing this too them but I know they will benefit in the long run. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

oh and Tilly girl I know what you mean about running off, my 2 will be getting their leads on before they leave their cages as i'm 100% sure they'll be off down the road in a panic/excitment otherwise:P

• Advertisement
Advertisement