Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinea pig bar spacing?

Options
  • 21-07-2010 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

I can't find this anywhere on the internet, but there are a few guinea pig people on here, so might aswell ask. :) Does anyone know the maximum safe bar spacing for a guinea pig cage, for female guinea pigs (almost fully grown).

My baby rabbits were getting out of their pen in the shed, and another rabbit attacked one (I stopped it before she got hurt!), so I had to take out that rabbit (and her friend) and put them out in one of the guinea pig hutches/runs, and had to put that guinea pig in the rabbit pen instead. But the spacing is about 1.5inches maybe, I'll go measure it in a minute. I don't think they can get their head through, but if anyone knows if 1.5inches is too big then I'll try to think of something else . . . my only (usually) spare cage is being used at the moment too. :rolleyes:

I can buy mesh tomorrow to stop the baby rabbits getting through, or maybe the day after, have to get my bro to drive me to the shop to get it . . . and then they can all go back to their normal cages. I had some mesh across but the baby rabbits have started to climb over it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

According to Guinea Pig Cages, you shouldn't use anything bigger than 1.5 inches, so you're right on the border. If they're fully grown I'd say they'll be alright though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Thanks a million :)

Hopefully it'll be fine for a day or two.

I had a new idea, and put the guinea pig in the baby rabbits' cage (with mesh) and the rabbits in the other cage. Because the guinea pig won't be able to climb over the mesh. Though the baby rabbits still can so one went into the guinea pig cage :rolleyes:

I watched them though, and the guinea pig was showing no sign of aggression, actually was chirping happily and following the rabbit around in a friendly way, more happy than I've ever seen her! She was also delighted at being in a 6ftX2.5ft cage all to herself :) And at least she can't stick her head through the bars now. She seemed to like the company, since her friend has been separated from her for the last week because she might be pregnant (she's in the spare cage). As my dad said, "it's tough being a zoo keeper" (this and the boy guinea pigs were fighting recently and the two girl pigs before they were separated and one bit me when I was trying to separate them! oh and two of the dogs were fighting, and the cats mostly hate each other anyway!)

I know it is a bit risky that the guinea pig could hurt the rabbits (only 3 weeks old) but the only other option is to put the guinea pig in a cat carrier and that'd be way too small. Maybe ok for a night or so . . . I can't decide which is a better idea . . . I don't think the guinea pig will hurt the babies if they go in, and the babies can get out again to go back to their mum.

Oh and I do know that rabbits can pass bacteria onto guinea pigs, but I always put mine next to each other in their runs outside and I handle them without washing my hands between them and stuff, and never had any problems . . .

Advertisement