Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to fix the Final Fantasy series

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

No fancy graphics would fix the mess of a story that was Final Fantasy 8.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Same could be said of FFVII. Battle system isn't going to be much cop either. It would need a lot changed, probably a FFIV DS style remaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

while i think ff7 doest have the best battle system (all FF has its own flaws in each of their battle system anyway), a remake ff7 with the same battle system can works wonders - it is still decent but yet is simple and can be easily accepted/learned by most general gamers. not a bad thing at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Adding just a bit of strategy and individuality in the combat would go a very long way. I mean FFVII has got one of the most simplistic and dull battle system of any RPG and is only tolerable because the game is an absolute breeze and so it doesn't negatively affect it that much. The materia system can't be changed unfortunately, it's one of the main reasons the system isso bad, because it's synomynous with FFVII and would be too big a departure. Every good RPG out at the moment relies on something in it's battle system to make it stand out whereas FFVII has nothing that makes it stand out so it will seem very very dated.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

A sequel on the PS3 maybe doable for VII at a push...how long is left on the FFVII compilation timer? Think it was 20th anniversary of the original game release or something. Would probably just end up like XIII though lol!

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Adding just a bit of strategy and individuality in the combat would go a very long way. I mean FFVII has got one of the most simplistic and dull battle system of any RPG and is only tolerable because the game is an absolute breeze and so it doesn't negatively affect it that much. The materia system can't be changed unfortunately, it's one of the main reasons the system isso bad, because it's synomynous with FFVII and would be too big a departure. Every good RPG out at the moment relies on something in it's battle system to make it stand out whereas FFVII has nothing that makes it stand out so it will seem very very dated.

really, retro? do people really want an outstanding battle system in rpg nowadays? when i look at the sales of ff13 i am confused:o

is such a sad fact that good rpg =/= good sales now. seems like people nowadays just want some fast food rpg.

I haven't played FFXIII so can't really comment on it but the reason FFXIII did well was because of the brand name attached to it. Sure Square have been slapping the FF name on to games that are clearly not in the FF franchise and they still sell. On the other end of the spectrum you've got Persona 3 that sold by good word of mouth and elevated Atlus into a much bigger company and made their SMT franchise a much bigger deal all because of quality gameplay. It can happen, look at Disgaea as well, but it only happend rarely and with the best games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I haven't played FFXIII so can't really comment on it but the reason FFXIII did well was because of the brand name attached to it. Sure Square have been slapping the FF name on to games that are clearly not in the FF franchise and they still sell. On the other end of the spectrum you've got Persona 3 that sold by good word of mouth and elevated Atlus into a much bigger company and made their SMT franchise a much bigger deal all because of quality gameplay. It can happen, look at Disgaea as well, but it only happend rarely and with the best games.
    Don't play final fantasy 13. You spend your days condemming people for panzer dragoon(iirc) I do the same about FF13. Worst game I've ever played.

panzer dragoon(iirc)

Legend of Dragoon. Panzer Dragoon is awesome. It can't be as bad as LoD surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭stooodent

FF is dead. Buy Shin Megami Tensei games instead.

hes right... FFX was the last decent one ever since enix stuck there teeth in the franchise went down hill :(

• Advertisement

Legend of Dragoon. Panzer Dragoon is awesome. It can't be as bad as LoD surely?

20 hour tutorial.

stooodent wrote: »
    hes right... FFX was the last decent one ever since enix stuck there teeth in the franchise went down hill :(

TBH it was more the Squaresoft part that did that.
    20 hour tutorial.

Legend of Dragoon: 80 hours of ****iness.

FF was 70 of ****e.....butit had a 20 hour tutorial for one of the easiest battle systems ever. Much much worse, plus you couldn choose your own team for the 20 hours

I accept your remarks and raise you the most boring battle system ever. Random battles are incredibly frequent in LoD and to make matters worse they go on for ages. Every time you attack you have to do a parappa the rapper minigame to do extra damage. If you use an item you have the hammer the buttons to get extra effects out of it and there's no spells outside of dragoon transformations which are effectively limit breaks and no elemental affinities (iirc). Also these spells require another minigame to do. It's dragged out by awful load times and desperately bad battle music to add insult to injury. Also healing is done by defending and you only get 10% of your health back so you have to defend loads if you are low on health because healing items are expensive.

This is fun! :D

I'll probably buy FFXIII soon because it's cheap and suffer through it, there's no stopping it unfortunately :(

you have to get it retro :D we cant wait to hear what do you think of it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

I'll probably buy FFXIII soon because it's cheap and suffer through it, there's no stopping it unfortunately :(

That's what I thought too, it can't be THAT bad. But it is, sadly. Resistance is futile though, right?

Well I did play the whole way through FFXII despite it really boring me and knowing I should have stopped hours ago. I'm a whore for self flaggellation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Well I did play the whole way through FFXII despite it really boring me and knowing I should have stopped hours ago. I'm a whore for self flaggellation.
    I say you'd like the battle system Retr0, one of the best ever conceived. And I've played a helluva lot of RPGs. You just have to get through quite a few chapters of handholding to get there. :pac:

GothPunk wrote: »
    I say you'd like the battle system Retr0, one of the best ever conceived. And I've played a helluva lot of RPGs. You just have to get through quite a few chapters of handholding to get there. :pac:
    implied_facepalm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

In my day people used to articulate their point. Perhaps you just have nothing worthwhile to contribute?

• Advertisement

It's implied. one of the best battle systems ever??? Yeah cos pressing A and Lb for the whole game is so amazing:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

GothPunk wrote: »
    I say you'd like the battle system Retr0, one of the best ever conceived.

I dont know about that. Did it have alot of potential...hell yes, the Paradigm job system was a great idea. Its very close to the job system in FFX-2, which i really liked...if they just weren't dress-spheres lol!!! No way is it the best conceived. They need to give the control back to the player rather than the AI and ditch that auto select. You can opt to not use it but the fast pace of the battles pushes you to use it more than not to.

There definitely is some strategy to the battle system after 20mins in but its all on the developers terms rather than you as the player experimenting. My major issue with the battle system though was not giving me control of my other party members...everything else could be forgiven.

now we just need someone who doesnt need ff13 anymore and donate it to Retro :P

Advertisement