Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange cough and shaking of the head??

Options
  • 21-07-2010 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

For the past couple of days my dog has been shaking her head alot,i understand dis could be an ear infection but der is no discharge no smell and dey dont seem to be inflamed...i cant see anything either ive looked really hard...ting is she has started coughing aswell it sounds wot i can only describe as a rasping sound...could it just be a cold her nose is abit runny...she doesnt cough alot only realy when she is excited or after drinking water...any1 else experienced this or should i go to the vet ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If shes shaking her head a lot it usually does mean they have an ear infection or mites so best to take her to the vets and get her checked out as you might not always see a discharge or have a smell.

The cough sounds something similar to Kennel cough so i would deffo get her to the vet.

Has she been in kennels or anything recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sassychick

hi andreac no she hasnt been in kennels recently...its not all the time she does it..just doesnt sound nice...her form is good altho today is the first day she hasnt eaten and just lyen on the sofa:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

If it were my dog I would be getting her checked out. Any unexplained coughing needs to be checked out as there can be some serious issues causing it.

The head shaking could be an infection or the dreadful ear mites even if you cant see anything. Harvest mites are also rampant at this time of year but usually affect the dogs body as well as the ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

The head shaking could be caused by ear mites and should checked out by a vet. As regards the cough, does anyone in your house smoke? My eldest dog had the same cough until I stopped smoking and she hasn't coughed since.

Advertisement