Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is this worth it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I would, over the Variado, yes.

Alloy vs Carbon, better group and a substantial weight difference (~7.5kg vs ~10kg) that you would really notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

the new focus cayo with the bb30 bottom bracket shell (the crankset/bb isnt bb30) is in that wiggle sale with 33% off http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Bike_Sale/14/Focus_Cayo_105_Compact_2010/5360045299/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭torturedsoul

the new focus cayo with the bb30 bottom bracket shell (the crankset/bb isnt bb30) is in that wiggle sale with 33% off http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Bike_Sale/14/Focus_Cayo_105_Compact_2010/5360045299/

Saw that myself too ednwireland. Was going to buy at planet X except their frames are all sold out in Large. would you recommend the that focus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i bought the 09 version love it (but all my bikes are quite racy geometry)
    they did complain the new one was too stiff in the cycling plus bike of the year review
    as i dont have the 2010 frame i cant really comment
    but the 2009 one is stiff comfortable and corners on rails i know a few people here bought them before the planet x fad started
    cant say much more really as i dont have one and havent ridden that updated model
    review here of the cayo expert but i think thats the same frame http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/cayo-expert-10-37740

cheers dude, When your spending that kind of money you want to be sure. Im looking through some mags at the moment trying to get a better idea. LAst thing you want is a lemon...

Appreciate it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I went from a Variado to the Planet X, and there's a pretty big difference!

The Cayo is so Boards 2009 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

What size are you OP? Are you 100% sure you need a large planet x?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Well I'm just shy of 6 foot and wish I'd gone for the large over the medium PX.
    Its a good bit smaller than my medium-large giant defy 4.

Im 6ft on the button, i think the large would be best. Nothing worse then the neck pain gotten from the small frame i have at the moment...

What was the biggest difference between the Planet X and the focus in your opinion...

Also doing a lot of research at the moment and I am wondering, are the road racers durable enough for Irish roads. I mean I go off the beaten track (still on roads mind you) but up mountain roads which aren't the best sometimes.

By that i mean are the tyres durable enough on the road racer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Im 6ft on the button, i think the large would be best. Nothing worse then the neck pain gotten from the small frame i have at the moment...

What was the biggest difference between the Planet X and the focus in your opinion...

Also doing a lot of research at the moment and I am wondering, are the road racers durable enough for Irish roads. I mean I go off the beaten track (still on roads mind you) but up mountain roads which aren't the best sometimes.

By that i mean are the tyres durable enough on the road racer?

I'm the same height, and have a large planet x. Main difference is the PX is Carbon (compared to the variado), which makes it a lot lighter. Also the finishing kit is of a higher quality, and it's a bit more responsive.

No problem at all with irish roads on a Road bike

Thanks for all the help tiny...

Just a quick one for you and any of ye. What do ye think of Wilier Triestina bikes?

They look pretty **** hot to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Just a quick one for you and any of ye. What do ye think of Wilier Triestina bikes?

They look pretty **** hot to be honest.

Some of the frames get mixed reviews, not that that means anything necessarily.

When I was looking at buying one the UK distributor was only doing built bikes, but bellatisport.com were selling the framesets.

jedi-sports.de stock the bikes at what look like fairly reasonable prices.

Definitely on my list of bike brands to buy if I saw a good deal.

edit: bellati have the Wilier Cento Uno Superleggera frameset listed at €3,486.43. Ouch!

Advertisement