Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economic books

• 21-07-2010 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

I looking for some good books on Economics any popular editions I can get my hands on not internet sites as I do'nt have internet access at home thanks again

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭T Corolla

Thank you very much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I think that's a bad list. Nobody is going to read all of Capital or the General Theory unless they have a serious interest in the history of economic thought.

OP, if you want to read to learn economics (the discipline) then Mankiw would be a good start. That won't teach you anything about current affairs/NAMA etc though. For that kind of thing, your best bet is to read stuff by people like Thomas Friedman, Tim Harford etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

I think that's a bad list. Nobody is going to read all of Capital or the General Theory unless they have a serious interest in the history of economic thought.

OP, if you want to read to learn economics (the discipline) then Mankiw would be a good start. That won't teach you anything about current affairs/NAMA etc though. For that kind of thing, your best bet is to read stuff by people like Thomas Friedman, Tim Harford etc.

There's a reason why I didn't mention Thomas Friedman.
    Also, didn't I say that these were to give the OP an idea of what to look for...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

There's a reason why I didn't mention Thomas Friedman.
    Also, didn't I say that these were to give the OP an idea of what to look for...?

Sure, and I gave my thoughts on the idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Specifically,I would reccommend his intermediate book. Excellent textbook, had it in the second year of my undergrad and was one of the few I found useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Anonymous1987

If you want light reading and pop-econ books I would recommend

Animal spirits by Akerlof and Shiller which offers an interpretation of the current crisis.

Globalisation and its Discontents by Joseph Stiglitz which critiques the IMF and WTO from a former economist at the World Bank.

Freakonomics by Levitt which applies economics to areas where you would not usually associate economics with.

You could probably get any one of these for €10 in paperback

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

The Da Vinci Code

Twilight

Atlas Shrugged

Black Beauty

I assume the OP has no knowledge of economics and is looking for something that is accessible and gives a simplified overview of economics in practice. I could be wrong but I doubt the OP is looking for a textbook or some outdated political economy book written in ye olde English.

Maybe the OP would like to elaborate what they are looking for? Are you looking for books about current affairs, popular economics, an economics textbook or something in between?

@BESman

I assume the OP has no knowledge of economics and is looking for something that is accessible and gives a simplified overview of economics in practice. I could be wrong but I doubt the OP is looking for a textbook or some outdated political economy book written in ye olde English.

Maybe the OP would like to elaborate what they are looking for? Are you looking for books about current affairs, popular economics, an economics textbook or something in between?

Was he not joking about the Da Vinci Code?

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Was he not joking about the Da Vinci Code?
    I took the post to be in reference to the pop-econ books I listed despite the authors of the first two being Nobel laureates in Economics.

I took the post to be in reference to the pop-econ books I listed despite the authors of the first two being Nobel laureates in Economics.

I see.

Yeah I'd side with Besman then.

A beginners macro book would be a great place to start in my opinion.

Freakonomics (for example) is a great book but I don't think it gives the kind of overview you would want or need starting off

Fair enough, depends if the OP wants to educate himself with a textbook or just some casual reading on the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭T Corolla

I know nothing about economics and want to learn the basics for myself.
    Thanks folks for your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

T Corolla wrote: »
    I know nothing about economics and want to learn the basics for myself.
    Thanks folks for your help

Mankiw is your man then. Its the textbook used for almost every introductory course in undergrad economics in universities all over the world. The book used for the Leaving Certificate by Denis O'Grady is very good too and it gives you an Irish perspective as well.

Advertisement