Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URGENT - Help! Disaster with anti-mould paint

Options
  • 21-07-2010 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

I have just tried to paint my bathroom ceiling with anti-mould paint. Followed all the instructions - washed ceiling last night with decorator's cleaner and then rinced. Tried to start painting today then with the anti-mould paint, but it seemed to dry as soon as i dipped the brush in and put it on the wall. When i started using the roller it just kept peeling any previously painted or adjacent bit of paint off.
    I don't know what to do to sort this. Can i dilute the anti-mould paint so it doesn't dry as fast or can i paint over it with normal ceiling paint. It looks terrible as it is now, only half painted with the rest all flaky paint bits!
    Any advice is much appreciated? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Get a scraper and scrape off the flaking paint. Then try again.
    It flakes if it's applied to wet plaster, the area was overly wet or if it was poorly finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭celod

Thanks, for the advice.
    After i posted this, I diluted the paint and re-applied before the first coat had dried and it semi-sorted the peeling/flakiness! The first problem coat was applied to a stucco type ceiling which may have added to the problem. Just did a second diluted coat there and it looks alot better. It may not have the full anti-mould properties now, but at least it looks ok.
    I have found out since that they recommend that the first coat is diluted (approx 1/5) to seal the ceiling and to create a smooth surface and then the second coat is put on undiluted.

Advertisement