Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saturday Spin Redux -24th July, 10am Dundrum

• 21-07-2010 7:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭

Right you fabulous lot! I've been hard at work staying off the bike for the guts of a year in order to lose any semblance of fitness that I had, just so I can start off a Saturday spin again :)

Meeting in Dundrum, under the Luas bridge for a wee spin towards the mountains -all fitnesses catered for!

Route will take us up by Johnnie Foxes, towards the viewpoint, then maybe up round Sally Gap, but there's plenty of opportunity to turn for home at various points if (like me!) you're not feeling up for an epic!

Come one, come all and lets have a bit of craic, and maybe some cake!

I'll be the fat bastard on the pink bike, so see you there :)

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I take it Tiny that given your lenghty hiatus, the pace of the spin could be classed as "relaxed", i.e. noob friendly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

el tonto wrote: »
    I take it Tiny that given your lenghty hiatus, the pace of the spin could be classed as "relaxed", i.e. noob friendly?

Oh my yes! I won't be going anywhere fast :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

el tonto wrote: »
    He's not that unfit. Murdered me on a short hill last week. But then again . . . Who hasn't.

ROK ON wrote: »
    He's not that unfit. Murdered me on a short hill last week. But then again . . . Who hasn't.

*ahem* that was a tiny hill about 5k into the spin, you got your own back 50k later!

My climbing skills are next to non-existant, so everyone will be able to keep up (just promise to wait for me at the top!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

pink bike? leisurely pace? possibility of cake? How could one say no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I was planning on doing something similar to this. Not an epic one by any means, but it's still got a fair amount of hills and a good few of them are ones you wouldn't do all that often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Might be up for this Tiny, I too am returning from a spell of inactivity and need to get back to full fitness. Sounds like this might be what I need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Probably in, what time?

Blowfish wrote: »
    I was planning on doing something similar to this. Not an epic one by any means, but it's still got a fair amount of hills and a good few of them are ones you wouldn't do all that often.

That's not a million miles from what I was thinking, though I am going to stick closer to town (ie not head to the Wicklow gap), as this will allow noobs to turn off if they're feeling it and not be stranded too far from home -though if there's people that fancy going further, they're more than welcome to!

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Probably in, what time?

What part of 24th July, 10am Dundrum is confusing you? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

haha sorry I am a muppet, I only saw the Saturday spin :o

Just giving this a gentle bump to the front page to catch anyone that missed it last night :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Count me in - had pencilled Saturday in for a spin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Should be there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 NoddingCyclist

Hey Guys, Think I might try and join you for this. Not sure how long I'll last out with y'all, but figure got to give it ago at some stage and sure it gives me a chance to meet some of you!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

I'm up for this, could be quite a peleton.

I hope there's a few new (and some older faces out there!)

Pace will be fairly slow, so no problem for most people!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

If my bike is fixed in time i'll definitely be up for this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Would like to make it but I need to be in Croke Park on Saturday.

If it's raining, I am not going anywhere. Bordeaux is on telly I am not missing it.

• Advertisement

If it's raining, I am not going anywhere. Bordeaux is on telly I am not missing it.

Am I going to have to get out the wimp list.... :)

We may have the first Donkey of Wimp award on our hands Caroline.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    We may have the first Donkey of Wimp award on our hands Caroline.
    LOL I created that list I own it. It's not about wimpage nor Donkeys this case is about mental health. I need to see my hometown on telly during the tour de france. Been doing it for the past 30 years. I can't break the tradition, it would destroy me.

LOL I created that list I own it.

Things change sweetheart, things change....

Gets out pen and paper.... C....A....R....O....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'm in,

Gets out pen and paper.... C....A....R....O....

I challenge your to a race up bohernabreena.

I challenge your to a race up bohernabreena.

You're on... Saturday, 10am

You're on... Saturday, 10am
    Fine I'll be there ( doh')

Fine I'll be there ( doh')

:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Blowfish wrote: »

Nice route. I cycled some of these roads coming from the Sallygap, around Seefin and Seahan on Tuesday, coming up by Grassamucky rather than Piperstown. Word of warning, the hill connecting the military range to the Boharnabreena road is in tatters with potholes you could lose a large van in. You'd want to take it easy coming down it on a road bike. Fantastic scenary, though the climb back up to the military road left me a bit shattered.

smacl wrote: »
    Nice route. I cycled some of these roads coming from the Sallygap, around Seefin and Seahan on Tuesday, coming up by Grassamucky rather than Piperstown. Word of warning, the hill connecting the military range to the Boharnabreena road is in tatters with potholes you could lose a large van in. You'd want to take it easy coming down it on a road bike. Fantastic scenary, though the climb back up to the military road left me a bit shattered.
    heh, I actually got caught out by that last weekend. The start of the descent is on pretty good roads so I was descending as normal but it suddenly turns to crap, leaving me to hit a pothole at 60kmh. I was pretty damn happy that all I came away with was a puncture.

Potencial injury might keep me away from the road bike tomorrow. Made a possible stress fracture worse yesterday.

Anyone going to see the National Track champs tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

I'm up for this too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Potencial injury might keep me away from the road bike tomorrow. Made a possible stress fracture worse yesterday.

Jens would be disappointed.:)

Hope it's not too serious.;)

I hope to make it out Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 NoddingCyclist

Hoping to still make it tomorrow, but eh getting in with the excuses early ;)
    Came off my bike on my way home (coming down hill, car ahead stops suddenly, I hit my brakes and went sky-diving over the handlebars. Keep forgetting how dang responsive the mtb brakes are :mad: ).
    I am ok, but a little sore. Think more dented ego than anything else.
    Was glad I did have my helmet on thouggh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ankle's not entirely screwed, I felt strong today and it'd be nice to get out for a spin again.

Still on the fence, the talk of races up bohernabreena doesn't line up with my idea of "relaxed". :D I'm just glad that I can get up it without dismounting.

I'll get up early and see how I feel. Supposed to be nice tomorrow, not too sunny. Ideal, really.

seamus wrote: »
    Ankle's not entirely screwed, I felt strong today and it'd be nice to get out for a spin again.

Still on the fence, the talk of races up bohernabreena doesn't line up with my idea of "relaxed". :D I'm just glad that I can get up it without dismounting.

I'll get up early and see how I feel. Supposed to be nice tomorrow, not too sunny. Ideal, really.

There's no racing going on -plan is to descend Bohernabreena, not go up it! :)

It's pouring in D15 ... I'm staying in to watch the tour...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Slept in Again and only got back from Swords at 11. On the plus side I did have a lovely fry on the way back as a treat. Also the rain was refreshing, if a bit salty.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Good crowd turned up, about a dozen I reckon. Two in new jerseys. Rain held off but roads damp.

• Advertisement

Good spin, loads of people out. Headed back through Enniskerry after reaching Kippure with Astramonti and the artist formerly known as eggie.

Weather was ok, I was freezing up on some patches of road, don't enjoy wet roads :(

Nice spin indeed, slightly hampered by my 11-23 cassette (note to self, change it before heading to Wicklow again!), and a double puncture on the crap road leading down to Bohernabreena, but all round quite enjoyable!

Nice spin indeed, slightly hampered by my 11-23 cassette (note to self, change it before heading to Wicklow again!), and a double puncture on the crap road leading down to Bohernabreena, but all round quite enjoyable!
    pfft, copycat ;)

with your knee history i think that cassette should go.

Could someone tell me how much climbing we did today?
    (recent additions to wimp list need not reply) ;)

Garmin's telling me 1067m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Cheers guys, enjoyed that - I was the guy in the other new Boards jersey. Got home to discover I forgot my keys, and had no phone, so had another 10k detour at the end :D

Definitely underdressed today, thought it was going to be warmer but should have known better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

That would be about right. Mine reads 880m but I took the flatter route home.My knee didn't want to know about more climbing.

@abcdggs I never got a chance to introduce myself to you today,I was in the Boards Orwell top.Sorry about that.:o

Sorry to hear about the punctures Tiny,you should have taken the flat route home.;) That surface is just getting too bad for road bikes.

@abcdggs I never got a chance to introduce myself to you today,I was in the Boards Orwell top.Sorry about that.:o

Not a problem, generally i can remember one name and face at a time. Hello to you too, i was the one in the black and white jersey.

with your knee history i think that cassette should go.

It's fine on the flat, and if I race, it's perfect -just need to remember not to have it on up the mountains!

• Advertisement
Advertisement