Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transporting your dog.

Options
  • 21-07-2010 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering how people on boards transport their dogs around? Do you just have them loose in the car or do you use a purpose build cage or a dog harness that a seat belt feeds through? I use seat belt harnesses for mine or a cage in some circumstances depending on what I'm driving that day.

I see quite a lot of people on the road with their dogs up on the back window ledge and I can help but think that if the driver had cause to slap on the brakes the dog is a missile that is going out the windscreen or will smack them in the back of the head like a rock.

What do you use with your dog in the car? 31 votes

Nothing.
    0%
    Cage.
    29%
    adser53[Deleted User]steph1anniehooscudzillahelimachoptorUrbanSealrusheMichael B 9 votes
    Harness & seatbelt.
    35%
    EGARphasersTop DogISDWsambuka41GalwayKiefertoadflyTooManyDogsCreedonsDogDayckylithbelongtojazz 11 votes
    Other (Please detail)
    35%
    tk123LucyBlissbarbiegirlboomerangTop DogboodlesdoodlesGalwayKieferlorebringernamurtWiscoZapperzy 11 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Cage isn't an option with a labrador + Yaris combination so he sits in the backseat. Really ought to get him a harness but haven't yet done so. I'm not sure how effective they are anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

In back of estate car, with dog guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Other (Please detail)
    I have a harness that clips into the seatbelt but it still allows the doggie room to move from window to window in the back seat. He's nosey and he wants to know what's going on on either side of him. He's a Westie so he has loads of room back there. He loves the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I also have an estate and keep them in the boot space with a dog guard. I used to have a Micra and would belt them all in on the back seat, but since baby arrived we had to rethink that one as even with the harnesses they would have been too close to the baby and too cramped. An estate or a dog trailer seemed the only way to go, so estate it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Harness & seatbelt.
    I have a van, so they have crates in that. When we are away at weekends with them, we sleep on the wooden platform I had built over the crates - it gets very cosy:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Harness & seatbelt.
    ISDW wrote: »
    I have a van, so they have crates in that. When we are away at weekends with them, we sleep on the wooden platform I had built over the crates - it gets very cosy:D

Same as above sans the wooden platform :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Harness & seatbelt.
    I have a barjo cage system for my car, so I can open the boot, lock the cage door and they all have plenty of air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I don't drive so if someone else is driving to the vet I just hold the dog on a lead. If I couldn't be there then they'd use a cage, just a large cat carrier cos they're small dogs. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

Other (Please detail)
    We had a close call the other day and I was so glad the two dogs had their seatbelts on. Some idiot drove straight towards us on our side of the road and the OH had to slam on the breaks. After I prised my hands from the seat, I turned around to check on the two dogs and they were looking at me like "what's the problem?" Would hate to think where they might've ended up without the seatbelts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Cage.
    used a variety of things, a work van on occasion, back seat of a punto/brava/astra/vectra.

Dog was fine it it, normally sat in the front but tended to bark a lot but never moved from the seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In the boot with a little bit of the rear shelf folded back so she can see out. She can also see though the back seats. On longer journeys (> 30 mins) we put her in the passenger or rear seat with a harness on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Other (Please detail)
    On the back seat with his harness and lead on and the lead threaded through the seatbelt, he can still stand up and move around a bit but if the car was to break suddenly he would still remain on the seat.
    I hate to see dogs on the back windscreen, it's so dangerous if theres an accident and it's distracting. Also it's ludicris to think people drive with a dog on their knee, and Iv even seen someone with a dog on the dashboard above the steering wheel. It's the same with a child really, can you imagine if you had an accident where the airbag went off with a dog on your knee. :eek:

My aunt and her bf had an accident and their spaniel x shot forward hit her boyfriends head and hit the windscreen, bf had concusion and poor dog was badly shaken and hated the car after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Harness & seatbelt.
    My 2 have cages in the car, as my springers cage is huge it does mean I have to have the back seats down but as he is a lunatic in the car it is the only safe way to transport him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Harness & seatbelt.
    If it's a short trip, say to the park, they're in the footwell. Anything longer and they go in their cages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My two go in the boot of my hatchback with the parcel shelf off. But I do have a harness for the bigger dog to use on the back seat if needed(if I need the boot for something else), as he won't stay still if the car stops. He's fine when its moving, sits nicely looking out, just doesn't get that I have to stop for traffic lights, junctions etc:rolleyes: and expects to be getting out within 2 seconds of the wheels stopping moving.
    The little dog sits on daughters lap being cuddled if they're in the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Other (Please detail)
    I have a harness that clips into the seatbelt but it still allows the doggie room to move from window to window in the back seat. He's nosey and he wants to know what's going on on either side of him. He's a Westie so he has loads of room back there. He loves the car.

Same here - I have a Clix one and it's really strong and he has room to move from window to window. He used to sit belted into the front passenger seat but he got too big (golden retriever pup) and started blocking the mirror so he sits in the back seat now. I was worried about him hurting himself if I had to break suddenly and he slid into the footwell so the other week I folded the doubeseat part of the back seat down and left the single one up thinking he'd jump onto the single seat and settle down on the folded down side - instead he just sat on the single one and at one stage I looked in the mirror and he was curled up as tight as he could be asleep on the single seat! :rolleyes::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Harness & seatbelt.
    Harness for my lab, cage for my Jack Russell!

At the start I felt bad putting one in a cage and not the other, but she is just too mental in the car to be left to her own devices. She got out of her harness the first time I tried it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Cage.
    with 4 dogs I'd need a limo or a truck to transport them all in cages or harnesses ;)

90% of the time they're loose in the back my car-van (peugeot partner) with a mesh guard seperating the front from the back so they can see me but not get at me and lick my ears while I'm driving :)
    The other 10% of the time they're in the boot\back of our jeep with the seats folded down and my missus in the passenger seat acting as a buffer to protect me. They're great in the car, just sometimes they get a bit too close for comfort

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

In the boot with a dog guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Very rarely take dogs in the car... Only when we are moving as we have all we need for them here.

A long, 8 hr drive a few weeks ahead when we move; the dogs will be in the back behind the luggage and we will attach them to the seat belt anchors.

Collie has only travelled a few miles before and wee dog is a back seat driver who tunnels to put her head on my shoulder, so this time taking no chances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I voted 'other' - back of an estate with a dog guard.

Advertisement