Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Installation problem

• 21-07-2010 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭

Had UPC installed yesterday. Today the connection went off. I had no internet. Rang UPC off the mobile because the phone that was plugged into the modem didn't work, I have to have the phone plugged into the modem until my Eircom phone line goes dead.

They told me the modem was faulty after they ran some tests from there end. Then about an hour or two later everything went back to normal again except the television which is the 20 normal channels from UPC went partially fuzzy.

My question is how can a television problem be linked to the modem. If the modem is faulty then why are the normal TV channels going faulty.

Also to note I have the magic eye plugged into the TV's that have the interference of partial fuzziness problem. The Sky is working, obviously because it's a different system, and the normal channels are working on the TV with the Sky box as well, the UPC channels work on the tv with Sky.

Anybody any insight into this. It's hard to believe the modem can effect the TV. Or am I wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

modem can cause issues - in that you've a single pipe of data coming to your house over the wire.
    It's possible for the modem to screw up the data on that line which would interfere with the TV, etc..

Easy test - remove the cable from the back of the modem and see if the TV goes back to normal. If not, then it sounds like a bigger issue, and you need to get an engineer out I would think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

RikD wrote: »
    modem can cause issues - in that you've a single pipe of data coming to your house over the wire.
    It's possible for the modem to screw up the data on that line which would interfere with the TV, etc..

Easy test - remove the cable from the back of the modem and see if the TV goes back to normal. If not, then it sounds like a bigger issue, and you need to get an engineer out I would think.

Yup, TV goes back to normal when I remove it from the modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Had another guy come today. Heard him saying the signal or something was 53, -5. Broadband and phone are working now. But TV still has interference.

Anybody any help with this?

Advertisement