Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a handy round of golf - where to go

Options
  • 21-07-2010 8:05pm

Myself and the brother in law are looking to play a round of golf on Sat 31st July, but I've only ever played on driving ranges or pitch n putt.

Is there any golf course on the East side of Galway where we can go and pay 20, 30 whatever and just go out and play a round.

I went to the Athenry one but they were pure snobs about the whole thing.

I was thinking maybe Mountbellew or Cregmore or Portumna

Any advice?

Comments

Oh, on a side note, is there any Pitch & Putt courses around East Galway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Mountbellew golf course has recently been turned into an 18 hole gc and I think its only 20 a round

There are pitch and putt courses outside tuam on the longford road and outside athlone on the tuam road.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,900 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Dunmore is a 9 hole golf course and a nice one at that. Myself and my Dad had membership there last year. €15 green fee.

And seeing as you don't like snobby people, Dunmore would definitely suit you. It's the reason we went there and not to Tuam.

Looks like I might be going to Mountbellew. 20 Eur green fees seems alright

Thanks for the input folks, appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

I was thinking maybe Mountbellew or Cregmore or Portumna

Any advice?

Cregmore - Not a fan, played it a few times now. I find it a bit boring.

Portumna - Is a fine course, very long, tough if you are starting off.

Mountbellew - played it once - not bad. They have added nine new holes, the back nine gets very tight a lot of tee boxes crossing each other.

If you are just starting off and you want to paly a round try Curra West http://www.currawest.com/ Open day on Saturday also. 6 par 3's so that might help you. No snobs down there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

mars bar wrote: »
    Dunmore is a 9 hole golf course and a nice one at that. Myself and my Dad had membership there last year. €15 green fee.

And seeing as you don't like snobby people, Dunmore would definitely suit you. It's the reason we went there and not to Tuam.

You mean there are snobs in Tuam Golf Club? Wow. Like to hear more.

dec25532 wrote: »
    You mean there are snobs in Tuam Golf Club? Wow. Like to hear more.

Sarcasm or seriousness?

Don't get me wrong, but there are some lovely people playing golf in Tuam that I would give my left arm for if they needed it. There's an airs and graces feel about Tuam that I don't feel when I go to Dunmore.

Not sarcastic, I assure you. I think the days of snobbishness attached to rural golf clubs should be a thing of the past. They are lucky to hold onto the members they have at the moment. You will always get a bit of misguided and outdated elitism but that should be becoming a thing of the past at this stage.

You'd think so wouldn't ya?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

dunmore is a grand golf course in fairness!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

+1 for Curra West, nice and friendly course. Not going to host the Masters any time soon, but nice course to get around. I love the stone walls on it too. its about 20 quid a round too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Loughrea Golf Club have an open "week" from 29th July - 8th August.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 martin699

I've played on Dunmore, Mountbellew and Tuam golf courses...

I like the atmosphere of the Dunmore course, its a very relaxed and friendly place... and nobody has ever given out to me for being a slow beginner there... Only thing I would say about Dunmore is the fact that its only a 9 hole course... you can play it twice but you get bored eventually...

Played in Mountbellew recently on a sunday evening and there was 4 of us playing... We got given out to 3 times over 18 holes for being slow and it wasnt even us who was holding people up... the group in front of us were horridly slow and holding us up... would it put me off playing there again... definitely not because i have a thick skin and generally just say "yeah yeah yeah sound" when people say anything to me... its only €20 for green fees so thats pretty good IMO...

Tuam is a nice enough course alright... and during the week anyway the people are friendly... might be a different story at the weekend... not even sure if they allow green fees on a weekend...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Sorry to hijack this thread but I've got a question lads, and said I'd post it here before posting a new thread about it.

I'm going to Inis Oirr very soon and I want to know whether there's any golf facilities on the island? I don't care what type it is, course or Pitch & Putt, will be dying for a game :D

I'm guessing they don't have either but some of you might know ? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Doocey wrote: »
    I'm going to Inis Oirr very soon and I want to know whether there's any golf facilities on the island?

No, but there is a pub.

Think there are three pubs and one of them could even be a hotel. Fek the golf!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Ah yeah, home from it now, was there a few years ago too. Has changed fook all.!

Lovely spot, and yeah, the pubs are fairly convenient alright :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

I hear they have large bunker practicing facilities along the shore!!!

I saw a sign in Athenry for a Pitch & Putt place. Anyone been to it? Is it any good?

Advertisement