Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How bad is Eircom really...?

• 21-07-2010 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

Sorry for all these similar questions but basically i convinced the folks to get a new provider in the house and they dont like change. This provider took complete control of the line and only mentioned afterwards that there was an error at the exchange for them and its been quite a while(weeks) with no light at the end of the tunnel. Now i personally dont mind too much, the tv shows can wait and i have one of those portable O2 badboys for a small amount of browsing but the problem is the phone line has also gone and has been for over a week, the rents need that for work so theyre adamant that we drop the whole thing and just go to Eircom for everything which they assume is some stellar company where no problems exist.

Essentially because we've been messed around a bit ill have to go back to Eircom and i need to know how bad it is really. Its more expensive then anyone else for 24meg but would i even be getting 24meg or anything close to it considering the contention rates?

Cheers guys, sorry again for the multiple threads about different providers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Sorry for all these similar questions but basically i convinced the folks to get a new provider in the house and they dont like change. This provider took complete control of the line and only mentioned afterwards that there was an error at the exchange for them and its been quite a while(weeks) with no light at the end of the tunnel. Now i personally dont mind too much, the tv shows can wait and i have one of those portable O2 badboys for a small amount of browsing but the problem is the phone line has also gone and has been for over a week, the rents need that for work so theyre adamant that we drop the whole thing and just go to Eircom for everything which they assume is some stellar company where no problems exist.

Essentially because we've been messed around a bit ill have to go back to Eircom and i need to know how bad it is really. Its more expensive then anyone else for 24meg but would i even be getting 24meg or anything close to it considering the contention rates?

Cheers guys, sorry again for the multiple threads about different providers.

Eircom are not easy to deal with.. BUT given the horror stories ive heard and some of the problems ive seen they are the best of a bad lot.. just IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

I've had 2 experiences with Eircom at 2 different addresses.

I can't stress how bad they were.

My connection was effectively like dial-up. Just less reliable.

Both times the customer service was terrible.

Had they decent broadband, I would have no reason to ring them.

Alas, they don't.

I have also been with Vodafone, UPC and Irish Broadband.
    Vodafone weren't wonderful and UPC and IB are/were great

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

In my experience, they're not bad when everything is going okay.

The problem is when something messes up, they are hopelessly slow and have stupid arbitrary 10 working days to fix everything. Or after two weeks you'll get "Oh thats not my department, you should have logged that with .." whoever. I don't give a f*ck, you're all the same company, sort it out.

Oh and they're not exactly cheap either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

I have been with UTVIP, Perlico and another provider I can't remember. Broadband was always slow in the evening, if I needed support I had to ring a premium number...
    Anyway I went back to eircom, pay about 50 euros a month for line/BB/calls. Not a big fan but the other providers have to route their issues to eircom as eircom owns the line at the end of the day.. so better off begin with the Kingpin and not his side kicks.

Point to note, UTV used to charge me when I went over the download limit (and with Itunes moves at 1Gb its easy to reach 10 gbs) but eircom has never charged me . and to be honest I have had no issues with eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,094 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Does anyone think that Eircom are bloody-minded when it comes to sorting out their competitors' customer problems, or am I being too suspicious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Does anyone think that Eircom are bloody-minded when it comes to sorting out their competitors' customer problems, or am I being too suspicious?

No youre spot on, ive been thinking the exact same thing lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Sorry to chime in late and what I have to add to the conversation you may find is totally useless to you but, from an ethical standpoint, Eircom should be lambasted.

3 strikes, snooping and censorship. That should be enough to put anyone off signing up with them.

Advertisement