Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celebrity Masterchef UK

Options
  • 21-07-2010 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,881 ✭✭✭✭

Started tonight.. can't say I knew any of the contestants bar Neil Stuke from 'Game On' (the 2nd Matthew after Ben Chaplin left) and Nihal Arthanayake from Radio 1.

Best moment was when they were asked to do the vegetables in the tempura better and it showed the lad from The Apprentice with the vegetables hovering over the oil with no batter on them.. and it then showed John Torode bent over laughing in the background. He then realised and got a spatula and started throwing up bits of batter on top of the vegetables. Then he realised he'd to immerse them. Classic stuff! :D

It's on again tomorrow night at 8pm on BBC1 with 5 new celebs.

EDIT: While we're on the topic.. the editors on this show need to find some new music. 'Open Your Eyes' by Snow Patrol and 'Tonight Tonight' by The Smashing Pumpkins tends to feature all too often!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

On tonight are
    Former world champion athlete Colin Jackson, actress Tricia Penrose, Christine Hamilton and TV presenters Martin Roberts and Jenny Powell are put through a series of gruelling cooking challenges.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,881 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Am gutted Neil Stuke was kicked out.. thought he was the best cook by far!

But his food let him down tonight, and I knew he'd be booted!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Lovely Lisa FTW. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Mr E wrote: »
    Lovely Lisa FTW. :)

But, will her lack of confidence get the better of her?....

/cuts to dramatic shot of her sobbing over a soufle... :D

This is BY FAR the most entertaining reality TV show on the box at the moment, so good that it has actually managed to make me root for the generally odious Christine Hamilton (who seems alright as long as her smug husband isn't in a shot).

They do need to shake up the formula a bit though, the directors are just editing to a pretty lazy template that makes every shot and reaction look like stock footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

basquille wrote: »

He delivered big, bold flavours but ultimately his ability to deal with pressure let him down. As Gregg says, cooking doesn't get much tougher than this.

• Advertisement

conorhal wrote: »
    But, will her lack of confidence get the better of her?....

/cuts to dramatic shot of her sobbing over a soufle... :D
    Every time it comes on, I shout across the room:

"COOKING DOESN'T GET MUCH TOUGHER THAN THIS!"

:D
    This is BY FAR the most entertaining reality TV show on the box at the moment, so good that it has actually managed to make me root for the generally odious Christine Hamilton (who seems alright as long as her smug husband isn't in a shot).
    Don't know who I want to win out of the remaining 3! :(

They do need to shake up the formula a bit though, the directors are just editing to a pretty lazy template that makes every shot and reaction look like stock footage.
    I remember reading an interview with Gregg or John in the last week saying that the next season might incorporate some of the properties of 'Masterchef Australia' (not a bad thing at all).

Speaking of which - Season 2 of 'Masterchef Australia' starts airing on Watch on September 6th at 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭onway

Wasn't really sorry to see Neil going - even though his cooking was good I thought the whole ' I'm doing this for my dead Father ' business was a bit x-factor...!!!!

Would kinda like Dick to win as he really seems to be into the whole food thing.....

The three finalists are ex-Holby City actress Lisa Faulkner, Coast presenter Dick Strawbridge and professional battle-axe Christine Hamilton

I hope Lisa wins

Kept expecting Neil to ask Mandy Lisa for a shag.

Mr E wrote: »
    Kept expecting Neil to ask Mandy Lisa for a shag.
    Twas a cracking little show in it's day..

.. and Neil was far better than Ben Chaplin in it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Just a Gripe

basquille wrote: »

Hi new to the boards and found you as was looking for others opinions on last Fridays CMC.

I'm sorry, I didn't overly take to Neil, but a little more explanation as to how he has been voted off against the clearly lacking Lisa or the confused and always late to complete Christine, who was also quite clueless IMO, would be greatly appreciated.

I love this program although sometimes the editing sucks and we don't get enough time watching how they prep the food, just the comedy balls ups and disapproving incredulous looks from the presenters.

The week before I'd witnessed Lisa and Christine scrape through ahead of a much more talented Chef in the actor with the lipless mouth (I forget his name) set me up to be for the first time in a long time, being really hacked off.

Neil going doesn't sit right with me. I believe he went because he was lacking being Eye Candy (Lisa) and he wasn't bumbling, weepingly positive, with an "all for one" mentality, blue rinse pleasing motor mouth, (Christine). I won't mention Dick as he is clearly way ahead of Lisa and Christine and my personal fave to win, him and Neil in the final would have been a clash of natural talent vs Dicks weekly development into a great chef.

I think it's a joke he went to be honest and unless they edited bits we didn't see of him they have let the audience down by letting go (for ratings sakes) probably the most talented chef on there. I applaud his comments at the end, by the fact he was bemused and unimpressed himself with his omission from the last three.

Perhaps it was his win at all costs mentality and self crusification if he messed up, they had an averaion to, I don't know, but as Gordon Ramsey shows us, being a chef isn't about being cordial, or cute or just scrapping by, it's about having real talent and drive to be the best. Christine being there is a joke and Lisa isn't close to Neil. :mad:

Howdy Just A Gripe.... welcome to boards!

I genuinely think Neil messed up last Friday. I knew he would be the one to go when the dishes were being presented (before the decision was made). I can't remember the exact details, but his meal was 'rustic' (for want of a better word) when the challenge called for a bit of finesse. It was a bad choice of dish for him, and it cost him a place in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hmmm, Christine is mostly cool under pressure but then she should be well used to Reality TV show pressure by now :D

Lisa seems like a genuinely nice person and her food seems great. She is definitely getting more confidence as time goes on and I wouldn't mind seeing her win.

Dick is brilliant. He has totally changed the way he cooks since the first few outings. In many ways he's come on the most and wouldn't mind seeing him win either.

Tough call. Overall there's noone in the final this series that shouldn't be, I don't really mind who wins but Dick or Lisa would be my preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

So who's going to win, would love to see Dick do it, but Lisa seems to be the preferred one :D Time to pour a glass of wine and settle in for the next hour :P

Girlfriend's watching stupid 'Big Brother'.. so I won't be able to watch it til 10 or so.

I'd be happy with Dick or Lisa winning it. But I'd say Lisa will win it!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

I promise not to post and spoil the surprise :D

Thanks for that.. I'll avoid the thread anyways til after I watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭onway

Would really like Dick to win also......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Dick or Lisa.

I am surprised that I actually now like Christine as a person (although don't rate her in the kitchen).

Just watched it now. Didn't she do well? :)

Bravo... a deserved winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Knew she'd win it, the way the camera hovered on her face for ages and when the two lads were talking about her, the music changed.

/over analysis.

Yeah, am happy she won it!

Although not the most exciting Masterchef final. Was a bit of a letdown tbh!

So Lisa Faulkner won?

I didnt see the final

Yep, she did indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yup, she won deservedly too (or at least the editing made it look that way). Delighted for her but all three finalists were great imo. Good year for Celebrity Masterchef, I think they upped the drama and tension this year a lot compared to some other years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

Fantastic program. Love the pace and the variety, even if it does mean they sometimes gloss over the detail. Don't know what we'll watch now it's over.
    And now if I get offered even something as simple as a cup of tea I can hardly stop myself from responding 'Yes but can you deliver that BIG flavour?'. :)

Advertisement