Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion wanted on Performance of Website

Options
  • 21-07-2010 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭

I am a member of a sports club and I reckon our webite is very slow.
    The company who designed the website are good friends to the people running our club but I have been asked to help out with the re-design of a new one with the same vendor. I really think it is crap but the people running the club will stick with this company because they are mates. I have tried IE6, IE8, Google Chrome and Firefox. I have also tried my work and eircom Internet Connection.

I do not want to post the website here in case its me who is wrong as it would be unfair to the vendor.

If any expert boardies could have a look I would appreciate it. Just drop me a PM for the website url. Tell me is it a good design or is it a cowboy job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Freemancon

In fairness to the Company, the website design and speed might not be a reflection of their abilities. I am sure every designer on this forum has developed sites that they were not entirely happy with...This happens because the client has really bad design taste and/or wants to do everything on the cheap. But on the other hand...they may be crap...just don't want you to rush to any judgements too quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

Unfortunately without posting the web site nobody here can help you out.

There are simply too many factors that can affect performance. If you want you can PM me the site...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Send me a link if you want

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Agreed that we'd need a URL.

We can do better than give an opinion on it - with performance, it's quantifiable.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

Maybe check out loadimpact.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

sgthighway wrote: »
    I am a member of a sports club and I reckon our webite is very slow.
    The company who designed the website are good friends to the people running our club but I have been asked to help out with the re-design of a new one with the same vendor.

It could also be the hosting / database server that's causing the "slowness".

I've had the same systems running on different hosts and the difference can be astounding!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Thanks for all the replies. I got a PM of one of the boardies who lurks in this section and after he looked at it he agreed it was slow.
    It looks like the SQL side of the site is a bit on the slow side. Caching also appears to be the issue. I will put these conclusions to the developer and put pressure on him to fix it.

Apologies again for not putting the url here but I didn't want to put out a bad name for any company in these hard times.

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

nellyshark wrote: »
    Maybe check out loadimpact.com

That's a cool website, thanks for sharing :)

Advertisement