Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing rifle

Options
  • 21-07-2010 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

im thinking of upgrading the 22 mag to a 223, will i be allowed to sub or is it up to the super

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Bit of a debate at the moment. The FPU say you can only do a like for like caliber switch but plenty of people are getting change overs as long as the reason for the firearm is the same. ie foxing, deer stalking, etc.

In short, I think it comes down to the discretion of your local superintendent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

jap gt wrote: »
    im thinking of upgrading the 22 mag to a 223, will i be allowed to sub or is it up to the super

You can only sub like for like so no... ull have to reapply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Hibrion wrote: »
    Bit of a debate at the moment. The FPU say you can only do a like for like caliber switch but plenty of people are getting change overs as long as the reason for the firearm is the same. ie foxing, deer stalking, etc.

+1
    I changed .22lr for .223
    6.5 for .308. No issues

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Hibrion wrote: »

+1 on that.

Some lads will get it done as a sub others will be made re-apply.

Completely up to the Super/Chief Super and district selective.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

My answer from a previous thread:
    BTW When looking for the forms, I'd recommend using the Garda website (Just to make sure you're getting the uptodate forms from the horses mouth, so to speak, and not from any other third party websites, however kosher they may be)

It's important to bear in mind that the substitution section can only be used AFAIK for "like-for-like" substitutions.

Quoting directly from Annex E, Page 39, of Fachtna's Glorious Guidelines:

"When an application to substitute a firearm certificate is made – on the basis of ‘like for like’ – the process should be completed by the Garda Síochána in a reasonable time frame of approx. 14 days. This application will be made on the ordinary application form FCA1 and will not require a fee. In this situation, the applicant will not be required to undergo the entire application process again e.g. medical enquires, referees etc. It should be noted that approx two weeks following the issue of a substitute firearm certificate, the original firearm certificate will cease to be in force and should be destroyed by the holder.
    When assessing a ‘like for like’ application, an issuing person should be satisfied that the applicant’s ‘Good Reason’ for possessing the firearm has not changed since the original grant of the certificate. For example, substituting a non restricted long firearm for another non restricted long firearm is allowable provided that the applicant does not intend shooting deer instead of say species that are destructive to farming or hunting activities. As stated, the ‘Good Reason’ must remain fundamentally the same as in the original grant."

So the good news is:
    a. If it's a substitution (like-for-like) no fee is payable
    b. The application process "should be completed within a reasonable timeframe" of approx. 14 days.
    c. There's no need for the references and medical rigmarol.

But make sure the change is "like-for-like": From what I'm reading though, a .223 target rifle can be substituted for a .308 target rifle as like-for-like (and vice versa), as they are both non-restricted long firearms, the "good reason" is "fundamentally the same as in the original grant".

Would this apply to a change from a 12g to 20g shotgun?
    From a SxS shotgun to a semi-auto O/U?
    From a rimfire target rifle to a centrefire target rifle?

I don't know, but I'd say a good application could be put forward if:

a. The good reason is fundamentally the same
    b. Both firearms are in the same category, ie both are non-restricted or both are restricted.
    c. Both firearms are in the same "type" listed in Section 3.4, i.e. revolver, rifle, pistol, shotgun, etc.

e.g. My reading of the above and of Page 31 of Fachna's Guidelines would imply (to me at least) that a "like-for-like" substitution from a .22lr to a .223 for the purposes of "Fox Culling" would be acceptable.

But again, that's all just my own reading of the situation and I'm very happy to stand corrected on this, from lads who've already been through the process of getting a substitution granted.

My advice here is the same as a fortnight ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

thanks, i will just call in and ask, dcorbus never knew it was asked already, my friend wanted to do it a bit back but never got around to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

here is one for ye . i have a shotgun and 3 months ago purchased a rifle so today in the post got a substitute licence and it was a second licence i applied for ??????:confused::confused:

charlie10 wrote: »
    here is one for ye . i have a shotgun and 3 months ago purchased a rifle so today in the post got a substitute licence and it was a second licence i applied for ??????:confused::confused:

You may go in and query it.

I'm getting the magic S on my .308, 2nd time lucky :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

i got the s too but what does this mean now will i get a cover note in order to pick up my rifle or what

charlie10 wrote: »
    i got the s too but what does this mean now will i get a cover note in order to pick up my rifle or what

normally you are covered,n if the Fo gives you a letter you can pick it up

I still have a letter stating what I can shoot with my Glock.

it was not legal, but hey. The law in the your area are the ones who enforce the law.

So if they say you are OK, Then you are OK, Just stay local until you get it sorted.

I got the OK on a section 42 before the form came through for similar reasons

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

jap gt wrote: »

Shouldn't be a problem. The way most supers seem to view it is - it's a rifle, it's .22 cal, it's the same thing. I know for a fact somebody recently subbed a .22 PCP for a .223 CF. Apart from anything else it saves you 80 yos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

The law in the your area are the ones who enforce the law

hey, tac, that's always assuming you never ever leave your own area and inadvertently cross over into another district where the boys in blue may not be so warm, welcoming, and understanding as your own local constabulary!;)
    i have a shotgun and 3 months ago purchased a rifle so today in the post got a substitute licence and it was a second licence i applied for

Best get in touch with your F/O or the Supers office and get this sorted ASAP - AFAIK, once your "substitution" licence (i.e. the one issued incorrectly this time for your rifle) is issued, your other licence will automatically cease to have effect within 14 days (I think). So best not too leave it too long before getting to the bottom of this.

I presume you have a copy of the FCA1 form which you filled in and submitted - as this will show the F/O the error of their ways and should speed up getting the situation rectified.

dCorbus wrote: »
    hey, tac, that's always assuming you never ever leave your own area and inadvertently cross over into another district where the boys in blue may not be so warm, welcoming, and understanding as your own local constabulary!;)

I rarely shoot outside the the heart of Ireland. It's the best shooting in the country, But i understand if I was in the Lord Lucan with my rifle in the boot it could be awkward!

Best get in touch with your F/O or the Supers office and get this sorted ASAP - AFAIK, once your "substitution" licence (i.e. the one issued incorrectly this time for your rifle) is issued, your other licence will automatically cease to have effect within 14 days (I think). So best not too leave it too long before getting to the bottom of this.
    +1
    I presume you have a copy of the FCA1 form which you filled in and submitted - as this will show the F/O the error of their ways and should speed up getting the situation rectified.

I mostly agree with dC ;)

Advertisement