Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap Wireless Triggers & Remotes/Wireless Flash

• 21-07-2010 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at the YongNuo 602 set:
    39242-foto1-300x199.jpg

They're pretty cheap (under 60) and they run on 3 AAA batteries (and a lithium one too) and they get great reviews, but before I go and splurge, is there any better alternatives? I've read they work with TTL and everything (even if they didn't, I wouldn't be too bothered).

I'm buying them with the aim of buying thema nd a cheap flash - but is there any cheap flashes that use nikons commander mode? Can they be used without a remote?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

TTL? Are you sure? I've some cheaper yongnuo triggers and quality isn't great on them. They work out fine for what I paid for them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

I have designs on picking up a set of Cactus V4's next week to try out, mainly out of curiosity.
    The V2's they replace were well received with the main issues being with the battery cover and type. The V4 changed these and they've been highly regarded since. I know a few people who are pretty fond of their PW's and were surprised at the response of these, given the price.

I have a set of Alien Bees CyberSyncs, which I'd very seriously recommend as an alternative to PWs. Really is amazing kit for the price. They're pricier than the Cactus or the ones you've seen, but €130 for the tx and rx was a bargain given the quality and features.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Maybe not TTL. Could've mixed up some readings there!

I've done some other reading and I'm considering just getting a Nissin Di622 - it works wirelessly, wouldn't need any triggers to fire it and it works with the CLS system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

NakedDex wrote: »
    I have designs on picking up a set of Cactus V4's
    I have a set of Alien Bees CyberSyncs, which I'd very seriously recommend as an alternative to PWs. Really is amazing kit for the price. They're pricier than the Cactus or the ones you've seen, but €130 for the tx and rx was a bargain given the quality and features.

*Goes off to investigate*.
    I've heard amazing things about them. Didn't realise they were so cheap. Where'd you buy yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MaggyM

I got 'InterFit Strobies' wireless triggers that work with my 580ex off a canon 7d (and 400d before that).
    I picked them up for €62 (in Hall's). I brought in my camera and tested to be sure they worked before I purchased.
    I am still learning the details and technicalities of using flash off camera but these work for me perfectly. Might be worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

The Cactus V4's come to about €40 delivered, hence me taking a punt on them out of curiosity.
    The Alien Bees I got via that link actually, but I had them shipped to a friend in the US and got them to ship them on to me. I may pick up another Rx next time I'm there to visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Check out flashwave2 kit - seriously good build quality, and tbh, only step down from pw2's would be the range....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

I've a set of those RF602's. No ttl but can sync to 1/200 & have a range (tested) to at least 80m on a full battery. Haven't missed a beat ever & I got them for about €40 via eBay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

mehfesto wrote: »
    I've done some other reading and I'm considering just getting a Nissin Di622 - it works wirelessly, wouldn't need any triggers to fire it and it works with the CLS system.

I'd recommend you research this one fully before opting for the Nissin flash. If it does work without the triggers then fine. But I sold a set of triggers recently on adverts.ie (they were more similar to cactus 2 I think), and the buyer found when he got home that radio triggers don't work with his Nissin flash. I doubt if there was another make of flash on the planet they wouldn't work with! It may only be the Canon version of the Nissin units that has the problem (and it's a known problem) - but it's worth researching before spending too much.

Advertisement