Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Time Road Bike Buyer

• 21-07-2010 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi all,

I've just started road cycling this year and currently have the loan of my friends Trek 1000 Discovery Channel road bike. However it has come to the point where I really want to purchase my own bike. As i'm not eligible for the cycle to work scheme, my budget is a max of €1000.
    Ideally i would like something similar to the Trek but quite like the look of the Cube aerial
    Any advice/tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated as bike technology is still slightly ahead of me at this point.

Thanks in advance,
    Coggy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Hi Coggy, best place to start is by searching the forum as there are many 'which bike' threads and working out what you are looking for in a bike. there you will find reviews and thoughts on bikes, also check adverts for ideas about second hand bikes. Happy hunting!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Coggy, I'm going to be very unscientific here and say find a bike you like and get out and ride!
    The bikes at this price point will all be very competitive, with minor differences in spec and fit in the big names (and maybe better spec in some less well known brands).The absolute bestest bike can be a bit of an academic exercise, it depends on whats available locally! Find a bikeshop with a good reputation and good customer service that you can see yourself going back to.
    If you are new enough you will need the help and advice of your local bike shop from time to time. I can get a lot of my stuff online because I have an have an arsenal of bike tools and I know exactly what I need to get - it can be confusing if you don't know what's compatible with what etc.
    I'd say there are no dogs of bikes at that price, Trek or Giant would be the most common starter bike.You have a good head start there with the lend of the Trek (altho the geometry may have changed slightly since the 1000 was replaced). You should already know if that size bike fitted you on long cycles and what you liked/didn't like on it - gears/saddle/grips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Something like this maybe?

You'll get better deals on-line, but as its your first bike, better to go to a shop and "try before you buy".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭farmerval

Wiggle and Evans both have sales just started so good value may be had right now.

Advertisement