Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Your Bad Self - Male Domestic Violence Sketch Tonight-Not Funny

• 21-07-2010 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭

I was flicking thru the channels and stopped at this sketch show.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/programmesales/yourbadself.html

The sketch had a radio interviewer mixing a Bloody Mary interviewing a male domestic violence victim and dismissing his comments.

Now I know some people dont find Myles na Gopalleen funny and even Waiting for Godot doesn't do it for me but my teenage daughter is a huge fan.

So I googled the production company Treasure Entertainment who are credited with the show and found this article
    Treasure Hunt
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Adam Lacey talks to Treasure Entertainment's Robert Walpole about finding and distributing quality film[/FONT]
    Ah, film producers. Were I to be transported back to 1980s Hollywood, I could probably safely assume that a mid-morning call to a high-flying mogul in a production office would have resulted in him having to put down the bag of uncut coke, shoo the semi-naked, work-desperate starlets from his office and spark up a zeppelin-sized Montecristo before even considering picking up the blower to a bothersome hack like me. Of course nowadays, in the twilight of the Celtic Tiger and the Irish film boom, it’s all strictly business and after many calls to Treasure Entertainment’s Dublin offices, I eventually pry Managing Director Robert Walpole away from a plethora of meetings and conference calls to share his thoughts on Irish film production, distribution and the trials and tribulations of making an indigenous film work commercially, both here and abroad.

http://www.filmireland.net/123/treasurehunt.htm

Maybe the subtle humour goes over my head as domestic violence is not funny. A minority issue like dissing male victims of domestic violence on a sketch show run by a national public service broadcaster.

What next - will we see a racist joke revival

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

CDfm wrote: »

Its youth entertainment isn't it.

On RTE, are you being serious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

squod wrote: »
    On RTE, are you being serious?

Maybe I'm being facetious -who finds it funny and what moron of a commisioning editor thinks it is of broadcast quality.

Treasure Entertainment hit the cutting edge with this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

That character ignores everyone though. That's the joke. He drinks and ignores people.

It's not making fun of domestic violence.

He's a pretty terrible character though, not funny at all. But not offensive either.

Also - TV FORUM!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Moved from After Hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Maybe I'm being facetious -who finds it funny and what moron of a commisioning editor thinks it is of broadcast quality.

The same moron of a commisioning agent who also thought Katherine Lynch's Wonderwomen, Maeve Higgins Fancy Vittles, The Savage Eye, Sarah & Steve, The Byrne Ultimatum, Smoke & Mirrors, Project Ha Ha, Killinaskully and Makin Jake were all funny.

• Advertisement

Sarah and Steve was alright.

AnonoBoy wrote: »

It's not making fun of domestic violence.

The DV victim was portrayed as a nerd and thats ridicule and stereotyping -why not a 300 pound black wrestler called Bubba or a weightlifting lesbian.

Where is the humour ??

It is just not funny and crosses the line over to offensive.

The DV victim was portrayed as a nerd and thats ridicule and stereotyping -why not a 300 pound black wrestler called Bubba or a weightlifting lesbian.

Where is the humour ??

It is just not funny and crosses the line over to offensive.

Hugh O'Conor doesn't play wrestlers too convincingly.

Hugh O'Conor doesn't play wrestlers too convincingly.
    The same moron of a commisioning agent who also thought Katherine Lynch's Wonderwomen, Maeve Higgins Fancy Vittles, The Savage Eye, Sarah & Steve, The Byrne Ultimatum, Smoke & Mirrors, Project Ha Ha, Killinaskully and Makin Jake were all funny.

The content is offensive and maybe Hugh O'Connor could do lesbian characters and traveller characters instead.

It is not funny and this is beyond a lapse of judgement or a bad call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

If you're going to be offended by something then at least go for something of consequence. That programme is as forgettable as it is humourless.

• Advertisement

It is relative.

I was surprised the thread was moved here from AH and might have been better staying there to get ridiculed or even going to humanities or even the Gentlemans club or Ladies Lounge.

Look, my view is that RTE does not give balanced coverage to domestic violence by women perpetrators even though you have the same numbers of women beating up men as you have men beating up women.

So when I see an item like this on a sketch show by the public service broadcaster that probably gives more broadcast time to the issue of male victims of domestic violence in a perjorative way I am going -then it will probably get on cureent affairs this summer its - Whoa there Neddy, pull up the wagon there is something wrong here.

If it would not be funny in another context -its not funny now.

The second issue is that public service broadcasting remit cannot apply objective and equal treatment to gender issues and it does not. Here it is stereotyping. RTE cannot even run a current affairs show giving equal coverage by gender on dv issues.

Major fail RTE and Treasure Entertainment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

You missed the point completely. The whole point was that it was a serious issue that was being ignored. It's how jokes are meant to work. You take a situation and you turn it on it's head and come up with the most unlikely outcome. No radio show is going to have a drunk who doesn't give a sh*t interviewing on serious matters. It's not a funny joke, but that's what the joke is. You're just being too sensitive on a non-issue.

Ah I see - it is now my fault that it is not funny.

You never have drunk people on Irish radio or TV , tut tut, not so. :rolleyes:

So then we are looking at the situation-for situation comedy - you mean to say it would be funny if I substituted blacks, travellers or lesbians.

So then we are looking at the situation-for situation comedy - you mean to say it would be funny if I substituted blacks, travellers or lesbians.

No it'd still be a sh*te joke but it wouldn't be any more offensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Savage Eye is the best thing in tv since the wire!!

It was a comedy show created by RTE and you're surprised that it wasn't funny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

humanji wrote: »
    No radio show is going to have a drunk who doesn't give a sh*t interviewing on serious matters.

ahem

I am not talking about the humour -you could even say it was satire and that would work if they were prepared to put helpline numbers like www.amen.ie at the end of the show

As it is people complain about the gender bias RTE has on DV issues where you have female perpetrators ,even though,the numbers are about equal to male perpetrators.

So it works on two levels -it mocks the victim and uses the current affairs coverage it gives as part of the joke.

It doesnt bother me that its unfunny as I don't expect funny from RTE and there are plenty of funny comedians and stand up acts in Ireland like say Brendan Burke who manage cutting comedy and common sense even in Comedy Clubs.

This didn't.

I am not talking about the humour -you could even say it was satire and that would work if they were prepared to put helpline numbers like www.amen.ie at the end of the show

So you think they should have had a "If you were affected by any if the issues in tonight's program please call......" at the end?

And then it would be ok?

Sorry but that doesn't make sense. If the joke is tasteless it's tasteless whether they provide a phone number at the end. In fact, providing a number like that could be viewed as even more tasteless by some - sort of like rubbing salt into a wound.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Whenever Im looking for equality and fairness comedy is the first place I go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Ah I see - it is now my fault that it is not funny.

You never have drunk people on Irish radio or TV , tut tut, not so. :rolleyes:

Did you even read what I wrote? They weren't making fun of victims of domestic abuse. They're making fun of the situation.

A man walks into a bar. Ouch!

There you go, a simple joke. You're expecting some sort of story involving a man in a pub, but the situation is turned on it's head by using a different meaning for the word "bar". That's how jokes work. Take a situation and come up with a punchline that is so far removed from what is expected that the listener/viewer doesn't see it coming. Is it makign fun of the man, or the situation? It's the way jokes have worked for thousands of years.

That's what is being attemped in that show. In a serious interview you don't expect a drunk interviewer who doesn't give a f*ck about the subject. It's not a funny sketch, but that's what the joke is. The actual subject isn't important at all. Funily enough when you mentioned "blacks, travellers or lesbians", the joke would be exactly the same. It still wouldn't be funny, but it'd be the same.

And then it would be ok?

Sorry but that doesn't make sense. If the joke is tasteless it's tasteless whether they provide a phone number at the end. In fact, providing a number like that could be viewed as even more tasteless by some - sort of like rubbing salt into a wound.

I didn't mean to imply that it would be ok -it would be less offensive.

RTE has a public service broadcasting remit and as part of that it has a duty to be sensitive and should be able to say right -we need to be pragmatic on our approach.

RTE has a terrible record on gender balance in domestic violence & child welfare reporting where women are perpetrators in its current affairs reporting. Absolutely awful standards.

I am not saying don't broadcast -I am saying that when you do either be sensitive or be reasonable.

Financial services ads can add stuff at the end about homes being at risk and terms and conditions applying and if they can do it why not tv programmes.

So anything that makes them improve has to be better than what they do now.

If there was a code of conduct that required it to be done then it would be in the psyche of the programme makers and broadcaster to be sensitive.

At the moment it is not.

humanji wrote: »
    It still wouldn't be funny, but it'd be the same.

You say its not funny but defend it.

I have no problem with them broadcasting it or how they cover current affairs issues on DV either.

I am just saying -if it is amateur attempts at humour etc go with some warnings our cut out the content.

Code of Conduct, best practice and standards in public service broadcasting should not be bad words. They should be good words.

Thats all.

Obviously this is your hobby horse but your attention is misdirected to this comedy show.

You're completely blowing this out of all proportion. It's not a current affairs program, it does not have a responsibility to tiptoe around mentioning anything for fear the over-sensitive will be offended.

rovert wrote: »
    Obviously this is your hobby horse but your attention is misdirected to this comedy show.

It was the first time I watched the show. I thought it was well produced and while it is not my cup of tea. Nonetheless, I gave it a whirl.

Maybe its not typical of the show -but you tend to judge standards based on the lowest common denominator -thats why they are standards.

I am not picking on the show as it operates within the guidelines that is set for it.

I genuinely like Irish Comedy. Killinaskully nailed a rural Village and characters down. Soupy Norman -was very clever and very funny. I am not a Des Bishop fan but I understand he has fans and is not to my taste though I find Brendan Burke great & very witty and funny-others may not likr him.. You could go back to late great Eugene Lambert with Wanderly Wagon and say it set a standard and would stand up against programmes made today in major markets.

I am not criticising the shows comedy or acting or talent.

I am saying that the sketch I saw was offensive and I am a first time viewer and secondly I am saying that when it comes to best practice -this may be representative of it in RTE.

So I am not judging it by any other standards than normal criteria.
    You're completely blowing this out of all proportion. It's not a current affairs program, it does not have a responsibility to tiptoe around mentioning anything for fear the over-sensitive will be offended.

I am not saying do not try new things and we have a tradition of satire.

Others have said it wasn't funny too and if it is not a funny show maybe it went for a cheap laugh.

Others have said it wasn't funny too and if it is not a funny show maybe it went for a cheap laugh.

Yeah I didn't think it was funny. But that doesn't mean it's offensive.

Yeah I didn't think it was funny. But that doesn't mean it's offensive.

I made a point and posted this in AH as I thought it was a crass sketch and I thought it deserved a bit of ridiculed for that.

The thread got moved to here to the much more serious TV forum at your request and I have taken the time to explain why its offensive and questioned what seems to be RTE's general standard which is more in keeping with the style of this form.

I would have been happier if it had stayed in AH -but as it was moved have no problem explaining myself.

You wanted a debate in the TV forum -so don't blame me if I discuss the programme on those terms.In fact, in retrospect I feel a lot stronger about it than I did when I posted in AH.

I made a point and posted this in AH as I thought it was a crass sketch and I thought it deserved a bit of ridiculed for that.

The thread got moved to here to the much more serious TV forum at your request and I have taken the time to explain why its offensive and questioned what seems to be RTE's general standard which is more in keeping with the style of this form.

I would have been happier if it had stayed in AH -but as it was moved have no problem explaining myself.

You wanted a debate in the TV forum -so don't blame me if I discuss the programme on those terms.In fact, in retrospect I feel a lot stronger about it than I did when I posted in AH.

I'm not blaming you for anything. All I'm saying is that your point is a bit all over the shop and the only person who seems to have found the sketch offensive is you. Your reasons why seem to totally miss the point of the sketch which has been explained to you several times - they're not saying domestic violence is not a serious issue, the fact that it is a serious issue is the point of the 'joke'. The DJ is more concerned with his drink that with the very serious issue being discussed.

I'd be making the very same points if this stayed in AH so I don't know why you're warbling on about that.

• Advertisement

Ooop.I can see what the sketch is. I kind of ignored that part of your post.

Its a bit of an OG by a broadcaster to use a criticism of its coverage of an issue as the basis for a sketch. I have no doubt it that was not intented and the irony of the content of the sketch is not lost on me.

And it is still objectionable more so because of their current affairs policy and practice on the issue. It gives the two fingers to those who complain about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

Would you have raised the issue if it was a woman talking about domestic violence in the sketch? or is the problem that:

RTE broadcast the show uncensored
    RTE didn't have a contact number at the end of the program (do you think contact numbers for alcoholic groups who need to drink at work, like the DJ, or pregnant women, or the butt of any of the jokes in the program should be provided)
    RTE are involved in some conspiracy fighting against the reportage of the full extent of domestic violence against men

Did RTE even produce the program?

I think supporting or highlighting the cause of domestic violence against men is a noble one, and may be under-reported but I think this is one of the more ridiculous objections to a TV program/TV station that I can remember. I think the reaction on this thread has been far kinder to that you would have got on AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

Get a life for gods sake.

I think this programme isnt half bad. not the worst ive seen on rte for sure. that actor who plays the radio dj is very good.
    Loved the electronic laugh sketch

Morgans wrote: »
    . I think the reaction on this thread has been far kinder to that you would have got on AH.

Thanks.

I am not knocking the show but knocking the sketch because it is true.:D

And, you would be surprised how up to date posters on AH are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

Come on this is funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Oh for ****s sake.

• Advertisement

Would you have raised the issue if it was a woman talking about domestic violence in the sketch? or is the problem that:

RTE broadcast the show uncensored
    RTE didn't have a contact number at the end of the program (do you think contact numbers for alcoholic groups who need to drink at work, like the DJ, or pregnant women, or the butt of any of the jokes in the program should be provided)
    RTE are involved in some conspiracy fighting against the reportage of the full extent of domestic violence against men

Did RTE even produce the program?

I think supporting or highlighting the cause of domestic violence against men is a noble one, and may be under-reported but I think this is one of the more ridiculous objections to a TV program/TV station that I can remember. I think the reaction on this thread has been far kinder to that you would have got on AH.

The difference is that RTE give plenty of coverage to violence against women and (as you like the word censored) censor out violence against men in a gender biased way. For the life of me I dont know why they dont cover both as a single issue as domestic violence being wrong -irrespective of gender. You would not reporton alcoholism or drug addiction in a gender biased way,

My problem with the sketch is that it portrayed a broadcaster ignoring the issue and conducting an interview in an uninforned way and the sketches dialougue/script is very close to what actually happens no matter how gauche the character is -it is an accurate portrayal of the coverage RTE gives and that people complain about.

So my problem with the sketch is that it is so close to the truth it is uncanny. It is the reality,ergo,it is not funny because of that.

I am not a conspiracy theorist but -it is current affairs editorial policy to report the issue in a gender biased and not a gender balanced way -which is exactly what they do.

As regards RTE not having responsibility for a production it does not make any sense and it is unrealistic for anyone to believe that it carries and broadcasts shows unseen.

None of this is unreasonable or simething senior RTE staff would not be aware of and which is why the broadcasting of thesketch is incredibly insensitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

So where's the thread to ban childrens cartoons ? Seriously, violence against animals is not a funny issue, Tom and Jerry has a hell of a lot to answer for, and as for all those poor henchmens families, does anyone ever think about them ? Shame.

The difference is that RTE give plenty of coverage to violence against women and (as you like the word censored) censor out violence against men in a gender biased way. For the life of me I dont know why they dont cover both as a single issue as domestic violence being wrong -irrespective of gender. You would not reporton alcoholism or drug addiction in a gender biased way,

My problem with the sketch is that it portrayed a broadcaster ignoring the issue and conducting an interview in an uninforned way and the sketches dialougue/script is very close to what actually happens no matter how gauche the character is -it is an accurate portrayal of the coverage RTE gives and that people complain about.

So my problem with the sketch is that it is so close to the truth it is uncanny. It is the reality,ergo,it is not funny because of that.

I am not a conspiracy theorist but -it is current affairs editorial policy to report the issue in a gender biased and not a gender balanced way -which is exactly what they do.

As regards RTE not having responsibility for a production it does not make any sense and it is unrealistic for anyone to believe that it carries and broadcasts shows unseen.

None of this is unreasonable or simething senior RTE staff would not be aware of and which is why the broadcasting of thesketch is incredibly insensitive.

While you are making a lot of noise in this thread about male domestic abuse and if that raises the profile of the issue, well done.

However, I think your criticisms of the sketch show are generously a million miles away from being valid ones.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    So where's the thread to ban childrens cartoons ? Seriously, violence against animals is not a funny issue, Tom and Jerry has a hell of a lot to answer for, and as for all those poor henchmens families, does anyone ever think about them ? Shame.

Vicky Pollard is so close to the truth about chav teenage females that really there should have been a helpline provided. Irresponsible broadcasting.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    While you are making a lot of noise in this thread about male domestic abuse and if that raises the profile of the issue, well done.

However, I think your criticisms of the sketch show are generously a million miles away from being valid ones.
    Vicky Pollard is so close to the truth about chav teenage females that really there should have been a helpline provided. Irresponsible broadcasting.

Hey, I didn't find the show funny because it is not to my taste.

Its not a cartoon.

I can take what people are saying that the sketch was a bit of situation comedy and the intended joke was the drunken interviewer. To achieve that they used pathos and stereotyped a dv victim to do. Thats all fine and dandy is it .Even those defending it say it was unfunny and did not work. Fine.

I cant wait for someine to say it was subversive and parodying the broadcaster - my objection is the stereotyping and that it is so close to the actuality as not to be comedy at all.

I didnt intend to have this debate but while I am having it -what I am not doing is trying to raise the profile of the issue.

What I am saying is that if you look at it in the context of editorial and current affairs reporting , which may be what it is lampooning, it is that accurate as to be indistinguishable from actual practice. It may have not been intended but that was my reaction.Tne interviewer portrayal is well acted and I can probably identify on whom it is based.

So that sketch should either have cut on the basis that it was unfunny or contained a warning because it was insentive.

You may not agree with me but do you see my point.

• Advertisement

No I dont, it is comedy show.

No I dont, it is comedy show.

So a comedy show does not have an ideological viewpoint ???

Is that your point ?

This one clearly doesn't.

This one clearly doesn't.

I have only seen it once. So it is not clear to me. All I can say as as an editorial issue on current affairs that the reporting is not gender balenced.

Yes. Your point would be more valid if it was a drama/documentary/current affairs program, in my opinion.

I think your criticisms of the sketch show are ridiculous. If you really think there should be a helpline for that, there should be a helpline for dozens of other causes. Its a utterly ridiculous point, and one Im not going to debate anymore.

Best of luck should you take the cause up further. Its a noble one.

Is there a slipping on a banana skin helpline?

Thanks Morgans & everybody.

I am not on a crusade here & dont expect people to share my point of view - but as the thread ended up here i thought it only fair to explain my reasons for being offended.

Its something worth thinking about when you see a news, current affairs or drama show.

I am a fan of irish theatre and actors and recently started a thread " The Green & the Greasepaint" in History & Heritage on Irish Stage and Screen and people who played here and those who went abroad - the original Jane from Tarzan was Irish from Roscommon and I would love to see people add to the list.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055964448

I do agree that its a pity to take apart a sketch show on the basis of one sketch and that humour is subjective.

Is there a slipping on a banana skin helpline?

You might find what you need here under Hazards & Risks

http://www.hsa.ie/eng/

Advertisement