Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Were PC Gamers Too Good For Microsoft's Cross-Platform Gaming Project?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

mouse and keyboard are a lot easier to use for FPS's, but would rather a controller for any driving game.
    would've been fun to see it happen though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Pretty sure Quake 3 on the Dreamcast and PC proved that this would never ever work. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

FPS is waaay easier with a mouse and keyboard. not surprised by this at all, but it still would have been nice to play. i'd love to see all the MW2 fanboys on xbox get pwned by players on the PC :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,437 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Actually it was the PC people hacking into the Dreamcast servers :) They were some fun times blowing away noobpad users.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Just didn't sell enough/there wasn't enough interest.
    Tis a bit of a shame, but oh well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Perhaps they shouldnt have tested a FPS :p They should have tested an RTS - oh wait.... or an MMO - Wait. Uhm, Plants vs. Zombies? No wait, thats single player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

It would be fun to see it happen but there's just no competition between gamepad and keyboard/mouse. Also, I'm guessing these gamers didn't have their own rigs with them meaning they were playing on machines not calibrated to their own personal preference (though in some cases that might have been of benefit to them).

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Actually it was the PC people hacking into the Dreamcast servers :) They were some fun times blowing away noobpad users.
    Hacking into? But they could play together anyway? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

It's a ridiculous title for the article and it's shamelessly pandering to PC fanboys. A target from a distance of 1000m. Give one person a sniper rifle and, another a handgun. Who do you think is going to be more accurate from a sample of a thousand rounds? It would have no relation to the marksmanship of the individual: one piece of equipment is a better fit and the other isn't. For competitive FPS or RTS, keyboard & mouse is faster and more precise than a controller.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,437 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

gizmo wrote: »
    Hacking into? But they could play together anyway? :confused:

That was the original plan but Sega decided to keep the servers closed to DC owners only. Didn't take long for PC crowd to hack in and have a fragfest against the noobpadders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

There was no hacking required. You just needed to install Q3A 1.29 and change the master server to play DC users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

That's probably considered hacking these days.

While it was probably more based on lack of interest/sales, there was never going to be much competition when one side needs auto-aiming to make a FPS playable.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

This isn't a PC v consoles issue, it's a control device issue.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I don't get why they can't allow people to plug in a mouse and keyboard into the 360 or PS3 anyway. I mean I understand the need to sell controllers and other money spinning peripherals, but I wouldn't think twice about buying an XBox branded "hacked so that it's the only device of this sort that will work on this console" mouse and keyboard combo and I'd probably start playing FPS' properly on my XBox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Yet theres so many console eejits that proclaim a pad is better :rolleyes:

Anyway theres one game for sure this would have worked fine on. Street Fighter 4

There was zero reason not to do it with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Oh my god, you mean to tell me a kb&m is more accurate than a pad??
    In other news the sky is blue and scientists reveal the earth orbits the sun.
    Doesnt really matter anyway as 99% of the best games of the last year or 2 were console only anyway.

0f57d13fdf6e1256403552a844cd7c8083af108a.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Kharn wrote: »
    I don't get why they can't allow people to plug in a mouse and keyboard into the 360 or PS3 anyway. I mean I understand the need to sell controllers and other money spinning peripherals, but I wouldn't think twice about buying an XBox branded "hacked so that it's the only device of this sort that will work on this console" mouse and keyboard combo and I'd probably start playing FPS' properly on my XBox.

You can get devices that let you do this. The level of control is not 100% of what it should be but by god, you kick some serious ass with it. Otherwise, its actually disabled by the console makers.

I know the devices you mean alright Cuddlesworth, have considered picking one up, but they're not cheap and I'd love to play with one before making the commitment. If you're interested, search for XFPS360 folks.

Also, not sure I'd agree with that statement about the best games Chairman Meow. Being a cantankerous pain in the arse, I'm more set in my ways and I'd be of the opinion that some of the best games in recent times have suffered greatly as they've had to be "dumbed down" and shortened to be more suited to the console market. I remember when a game would take days and not hours to play through on single player :) However, that's a very different argument and off topic for this thread.

Doesnt really matter anyway as 99% of the best games of the last year or 2 were console only anyway.
    Do tell

Overheal wrote: »
    Do tell

Demons Souls
    Alan Wake
    Uncharted 1 & 2
    Super Street Fighter 4
    RDR
    Heavy Rain
    God of War 3

thats off the top of my head, most of those from the last 6 months. Shall i go on?

• Advertisement

umm...

lol?

There is a point to be made that consoles get more attention these days but that's simply a business decision - you can make a lot more money and control things a lot more with them and that's fine, there's no point whinging about it when I'm one of the people supporting it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CrazyFish

They did that with shadowrun but Id imagine that game solf like 2 copies on pc because I only ever played one person on pc on it. Shadowrun never took of really which is a shame as its better than most of the fps out these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

CrazyFish wrote: »
    They did that with shadowrun but Id imagine that game solf like 2 copies on pc because I only ever played one person on pc on it. Shadowrun never took of really which is a shame as its better than most of the fps out these days.

Played it (and still do) on the 360. Was a fine game that got some serious hate because it wasn't the Shadowrun game everyone wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Shall i go on?

please do

aside from street fighter iv (hint) and RDR i've not heard of many of those

either way im not going to dispute either that they were big in their own market or that they arent well known - I do not follow the console market - but you're claiming they make up 99% of the Greatest Releases of the Last Two Years. Big Words. They greatly overlook Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Left 4 Dead, Arma II, And dare I say Alien Swarm, Wrath of the Lich King, Dawn of War 2, Plants vs. Zombies, World of Goo, Torchlight, Borderlands, Dragon Age... I definitely could go on.

aside from street fighter iv (hint) and RDR i've not heard of many of those

either way im not going to dispute either that they were big in their own market or that they arent well known but you're claiming they make up 99% of the Greatest Releases of the Last Two Years. Big Words. They greatly overlook Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Left 4 Dead, Arma II, And dare I say Alien Swarm, Wrath of the Lich King, Dawn of War 2, Plants vs. Zombies, World of Goo, Torchlight, Borderlands, Dragon Age... I definitely could go on.

I said those were in the last 6 months (aside from uncharted 1). If i was really arsed i wouldve gone back and looked up most exclusives this gen but im not.
    MW2, F3, L4D, World of Goo, Borderlands and dragon age are already on console so im not sure what the point youre trying to make there is.

Im just countering people looking down on consoles for having an inferior control system and being all 'lolol pc gaming master race' etc by pointing out that not many big exclusives come out for PC anymore, and anything that is good and exclusive tends tob e fairly niche like ARMA.
    If i was trying to survive on pc alone the last few years id probably have given up gaming as all i keep my pc for nowadays is stalker.

either way im not going to dispute either that they were big in their own market or that they arent well known - I do not follow the console market - but you're claiming they make up 99% of the Greatest Releases of the Last Two Years. Big Words. They greatly overlook Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Left 4 Dead, Arma II, And dare I say Alien Swarm, Wrath of the Lich King, Dawn of War 2, Plants vs. Zombies, World of Goo, Torchlight, Borderlands, Dragon Age... I definitely could go on.
    All available on consoles though and all getting extremely good versions too but I'm not getting into that one again. ;)

Of course, with regards the topic at hand, in any of those competitive games the PC player would still have a massive advantage due to the KB/M combo. :)
    Demons Souls
    Alan Wake
    Uncharted 1 & 2
    Heavy Rain
    God of War 3
    But seriously, you haven't heard of any of those games? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

But does console have sc2?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Actually I found Street Fighter 4 was better on a gaming keyboard than a pad.. which surprised me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

The day they launch a console with a keyboard and mouse I might actually buy one.

Advertisement