Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Were PC Gamers Too Good For Microsoft's Cross-Platform Gaming Project?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

knipex wrote: »
    The day they launch a console with a keyboard and mouse I might actually buy one.

M$ seem to have no interest in making a console more like a pc, its not got a browser, thats just completely pants on head stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im just countering people looking down on consoles for having an inferior control system
    I don't diss the controller. I diss the hardware :p especially the poor 360 with a habit of breaking down.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Im happy that they even tried doing cross platform. Always something I'd like to see but realisticly certain games will have an advantage with the control pad over the Kb&m and vice versa so it wouldnt be very doable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

what kind of games would be better with a console controller?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sports games, fighting games, platformers maybe and arcade racing games would probably be better on joypads that keyboards and mouse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Wasnt there an FPS with bows and arrows that worked on pc and xbox?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Demons Souls
    Alan Wake
    Uncharted 1 & 2
    Super Street Fighter 4
    RDR
    Heavy Rain
    God of War 3

thats off the top of my head, most of those from the last 6 months. Shall i go on?

Aside from SSF4 and RDR, you have managed to use two gaming system's exclusives to counter one system. Why not ram Mario Galaxy 2 and No More Heroes 2 in there for good measure?

Exclusives to PC include Starcraft 2, The Sims (one of the biggest franchises ever), Football Manager, etc, etc.

Im just countering people looking down on consoles for having an inferior control system and being all 'lolol pc gaming master race' etc by pointing out that not many big exclusives come out for PC anymore, and anything that is good and exclusive tends tob e fairly niche like ARMA.

People aren't necessarily looking down on consoles for having inferior controls but stating that if you put a PC K&M combo against a Console controller, the PC player would win. Yes, there are games that are much better to control on consoles (sports & racing) but handily, I can buy an XBox pad that also plugs into my PC - letting me play these games perfectly.

Console games have a degree of Auto-aim...that's automatically admitting that you don't have the same level of precision.

🤪

theres also performance issues to consider. someone playing a console at 30 frames per second is disadvantaged against someone running 90. Especially when the example is sniping: Twitch-Reflexes rely heavily on how much information you can feed to your eyeballs and how quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Aside from SSF4 and RDR, you have managed to use two gaming system's exclusives to counter one system. Why not ram Mario Galaxy 2 and No More Heroes 2 in there for good measure?
    He quite possibly should have since his only point was that the console has been home to the majority of the best games for the last couple of years. A point which is unfortunately (and I use italics to stress that point) true.
    Sabre0001 wrote: »
    People aren't necessarily looking down on consoles for having inferior controls but stating that if you put a PC K&M combo against a Console controller, the PC player would win. Yes, there are games that are much better to control on consoles (sports & racing) but handily, I can buy an XBox pad that also plugs into my PC - letting me play these games perfectly.
    The latter point is moot since it's not really the topic of this thread, however, the more interesting question is whether or not the platform holders and/or developers should encourage the opposite setup i.e. allow more kb/m control schemes on the consoles. Personally I think that'd be an absolutely awful idea, splitting the player base at best or horribly unbalancing games at the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

45617314zi1mu6copypp8.jpg

/thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I suggest you re-watch that particular episode of Zero Punctuation because I think you missed the irony of what he was saying. :o

On the other hand you may just be kidding in which case, lol. :)

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

The majority of game are multiplatform these days, so PC gets a good selection of games.

As for lacking in exclusives. It only seems that way when compared against 2 or 3 of the current generation consoles.

I'm pretty sure we will see RDR and SSF IV on PC soon enough.

As for the controller. Outside of sports games, the keyboard is generally superior. Racing games are better with a joypad for sure but a steering wheel is best.
    Among the fighting game community there seems to be a considerable number of people who think that keyboard is actually superior to pad when playing fighting games, though neither is as good as an arcade stick.

FPS, RPG(MMO) and RTS are all best suited to a mouse and keyboard.
    TPS again I would go for mouse and keyboard.
    JRPG don't exsist in great numbers on PC but I'm sure the controller type would make no difference in these games.
    Flight Sims, you really need a flight stick to use in conjuction with mouse and keyboard.
    Arcade Flyers then a joypad or joystick is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Extra, Extra... Blatantly Loaded Article Spawns Forum Pissing Match.

Fnz wrote: »
    Extra, Extra... Blatantly Loaded Article Spawns Forum Pissing Match.
    ..he types, from his superior keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

45617314zi1mu6copypp8.jpg

/thread

hahahaha its true!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Keyboard and mouse offers better results for FPS, but I hate using them. I just enjoy the experience far more with a controller.
    dreamers75 wrote: »
    Wasnt there an FPS with bows and arrows that worked on pc and xbox?

Are you thinking of Shadowrun?

Advertisement