Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a wireless ad hoc network, I'm missing something!

Options
  • 22-07-2010 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Im trying to set up a wireless ad hoc network to share an internet connection with my ipod touch.

Im using a Dell Inspiron 6400, XP and Vodafone Mobile USB Broadband.

The wireless in the laptop is working, picks up neighbours signals etc.

I''ve set up the Ad Hoc network as shown in the link below, exactly as it says.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/adhoc.mspx

The problem I have is that the Ipod is not recognising the network, i.e. its not showing up on the Ipod. I've tried manually entering the network on the ipod but it still doesnt pick it up.

[IMG][/img]networki.jpg

This is a screenshot of my available wireless networks. Whats confusing me is how on the Ipodtouch connection is says "not connected" but below that it says "you are currently connected to this network".

Does the laptop have to connect to this connection first, (even though it;s the host!) before it will send out the signal to other devices?

Does anyone have an ad hoc connection set up for this purpose or similiar, or know what the problem is??

Thanks a million.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jebusmusic

It's ok, figured it out. Laptop was broadcasting 802.11a, iPod wouldn't pick that up, changed it and it works!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I'm having the same problem, (well, my screen shot would be exactly like yours) can you please explain what you changed? I know nadda about computers so I don't know what your second post meant!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jebusmusic

I dont know a whole lot about wireless/networking either! The way I got it to work was by going into my laptop's wireless adapter settings and changing the signal to 802.11g which is the more common standard.

My ipod then picked up the network etc and connected to the internet, but I found it unreliable so I got a program called Virtual Access Point, basically does it all for you, and works better I found.

Advertisement