Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to move, possibly near the Lough - help with location

Options
  • 22-07-2010 1:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭

I'm having trouble with this in the moment. Basically I need to be near CSN(on tramore road, near the end of Pouladuff road), but also within walking distance from town. Places that are just to the east of the Lough are in theory perfect for this.

However there are a few worries with this - like for example how far they are from the train station, it's completely the opposite side of town. I suppose I could get a bus, but the No. 3 bus that stops near there is hideously irregular. Unsure about the 14.

I'm worried it'll be a little hilly walking into/back from town, if i have heavy shopping. I have a bad arm and generally don't like to walk long distances. I tend to buy a lot of water, which can cost twice as much in corner shops like SPAR. However I'm also quite close to ALDI.

It might be easier to live closer to town, and get a bus in. It's nice to be able to walk in and out freely. However I also like to have a garden or be near a park which can be hard to come by near the city centre, but very common by the lough. Places in the city center tend to be very run down.

I'm very stuck on this at the moment as I don't want to end up not taking a place that i later decide is useful, and is snatched up. I'd like to hear from people that have lived in various locations and how they found them.

Comments

Wouldn't worry about the heavy shopping thing, SuperValue in The Lough shopping centre has everything the city centre Dunnes etc has. Wouldn't fancy walking out of town with heavy stuff up either Barrick Street or Friars walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 The Barron

SuperValue near The Lough will deliver your shopping to your door after you purchased them.

Numbers 3 and 14 buses go to the city center and the train station is only a 10 minute stroll from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

If you were to live on the Togher side of the Lough there's a Lidl for all your water needs :) Also closer to the 10 bus route if the 14 doesn't suit (though the 14 is more frequent).

Somewhere like Edward Walsh Road maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

RoverJames wrote: »
    Wouldn't worry about the heavy shopping thing, SuperValue in The Lough shopping centre has everything the city centre Dunnes etc has. Wouldn't fancy walking out of town with heavy stuff up either Barrick Street or Friars walk.

Is it as cheap though?

super valve and dunnes are much of a muchness price wise i believe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Russian Blue

Am moving to cork myself in a few weeks to start college and looking around the lough cause i love birds. Though im quite happy with a bed anywhere around the city.

Would like to get accommodation sorted before the leaving cert results are out and been checking out websites but suppose by the time i ring up a few places they'll be gone. Planning a trip in 2 weeks time to view places though. Hoping that will give me loads of time.

Anyway besides websites, are there any cork newpapers that has accommodation adds that i could keep an eye on?

Anyway besides websites, are there any cork newpapers that has accommodation adds that i could keep an eye on?

Evening Echo may be worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Am moving to cork myself in a few weeks to start college and looking around the lough cause i love birds. Though im quite happy with a bed anywhere around the city.

Would like to get accommodation sorted before the leaving cert results are out and been checking out websites but suppose by the time i ring up a few places they'll be gone. Planning a trip in 2 weeks time to view places though. Hoping that will give me loads of time.

if you do a search for accommodation office on ucc.ie they have a list of houses, also I live near UCC atm and there's plenty of places with signs up on the windows on college road, barrack street, highfield avenue etc.

Though barrack street can be dodgy enough, depends which bit of it you're on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

As was previously stated, the Evening Echo has accomodation ad's. I couldn't possibly recommend College rd, due to the state of some of the houses, same goes for Magazine rd. I've slept in a couple of those beds after being on the pull :) not pretty! There are one or two decent places on Bandon Rd and Barrack St. also on Proby's Quay you might find a half decent apartment close to the college.

All depends on your price range etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

if you do a search for accommodation office on ucc.ie they have a list of houses, also I live near UCC atm and there's plenty of places with signs up on the windows on college road, barrack street, highfield avenue etc.

Though barrack street can be dodgy enough, depends which bit of it you're on

I assume you mean Barrack St. accomodation can be dodgy enough? Barrack st itself is fine, whatever hassle you might've gotten there before is gone now.

Dave147 wrote: »
    I assume you mean Barrack St. accomodation can be dodgy enough? Barrack st itself is fine, whatever hassle you might've gotten there before is gone now.

Both really, some of the houses are really nice and most of the street is fine, just that area around the off licence and the corner leading to the hill down to college road, I've gotten hassle there frequently and recently, nothing major but enough to make me think twice about living there or walking there late at night. Mostly just of the leering "cut your haaaaair!" type, still, no point putting up with that when you can just live down the road.

The off license is on Bandon Road, not Barrack Street. The junction that has the corner shop on it just beyond Ladbrokes is the end of Barrack Street and the beginning of Bandon Road. I fully understand what you mean by that particular area (I live a few mins away from it and worked in the off licence years ago). Only last night I was coming home from the gym and there was a squad car there (very regular Garda presence not that it prevents what goes on there). There is quite a lot of unsocial behaviour there. I'm not going to go into detail. In saying that go 50 yards in either direction and problem solved.

Woops, always thought of that as Barrack Street for some reason, my mistake :o I don't envy you working in that offie either

Woops, always thought of that as Barrack Street for some reason,

So did I 'till I was about 15 ;)

Advertisement