Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taking photos without annoying people?

• 22-07-2010 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭

Hey. I am relatively new to photography, only have a point and shoot - Lumix TZ7, but am trying to get into it now that I have free time.

I enjoy taking photos of people, especially at partys, nights out etc. but I find it difficult. I think the best photos are the ones where no on realises you are taking it, but this is a challenge in itself as everyone's going to notice a big camera in their face! Sometimes I have to resort to quick photos, or holding the camera at an awkward angle out of sight where I cant even see what I'm photographing!

Then, if you're lucky enough to get some photos some people don't like it! I don't know if any of you experience it but a lot of people don't like being photographed unless they're "ready" and procede to tell you to stop unless you inform them you are taking a photo. :/

Is there anyway to overcome this or what has been your experience?

Also, what do consider appropriate occasions to photograph people? Partys, average night out, just a few mates over for a few drinks? I always feel awkward taking out my camera if I think the situation isn't right!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Street photography one I use is to pretend to be taking a pic of something behind them and look annoyed if they look at you as if they are taking a picture of them might not work in a static environment of a party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I take photos all the time at home. I bring my camera with me most times I'm visiting others too. They just know I'm going to take some pics, like it or not! I think confidence is the key. use a bit of charm to relax people, just say you're messing with your cam and will probably delete most of them later ... might relax them a bit. people can be paranoid [mostly vanity, if they don't look their best they don't like to be photographed, but never seem to mind when dolled up to the nines] If someone has an issue with you taking pics, well, either leave them out - or just admit defeat and put it away. Most times it's just paranoia, so as I said, relax them. Make it playful. if you're nervous about taking the pics, it rubs off. Confidence :) Act like a pro!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

zoom lens :pac: but then again zooming in isn't going to work to well at a party in general because of the low light and then your subject is going to be too far away to light up with the flash...

your probably best of just getting the settings right and basically hop the camera out and snap and catch them unawares.. it is pretty tricky especially if people don't want to pose

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my friends became used to me hovering around with a camera so i was getting fairly natural shots; plus, i was taking on film, so would only ever go to the bother of scanning the good stuff, so they never had to worry about seeing unflattering shots of themselves; i don't know if that was a significant point, but people are more likely to pose if they think the shot will be unflattering.

either way, don't dump every single shot you take at a party into a flickr or facebook stream, because people will become far more conscious of you hovering with the camera if they've seen shots you've taken of them which they don't like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

either way, don't dump every single shot you take at a party into a flickr or facebook stream, because people will become far more conscious of you hovering with the camera if they've seen shots you've taken of them which they don't like.

I am constantly amazed at the horrific photos people upload on facebook! It's like they just stick in the card, transfer and upload every single shot without checking. Blurred shots, shots of feet/the floor/backs of people's heads etc ... they'll maybe have 10/100 passable shots, even just for FB.

Anything I upload gets tweaked and resized before upping. I'm fussy even about family shots. It might be because once you're into photography, people just presume every shot you take should be great. And you do become very conscious of that. I've had comments from people on basic shots of the kids like "nicely composed" ... it might have just been a quick snap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

I am constantly amazed at the horrific photos people upload on facebook! It's like they just stick in the card, transfer and upload every single shot without checking. Blurred shots, shots of feet/the floor/backs of people's heads etc ... they'll maybe have 10/100 passable shots, even just for FB.

I happen to know that's exactly what they do - I asked one of the girls a while ago where was "so and so photos" from a trip we went on and she just goes "oh i don't know, i just stuck in the card and let it put them all up".

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭VonLuck

So the key to taking photos of people you know is to annoy them enough that they know it's going to happen anyways? Guess I'll be disliked for a while! Haha.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

VonLuck wrote: »
    Hey. I am relatively new to photography, only have a point and shoot - Lumix TZ7, but am trying to get into it now that I have free time.

I enjoy taking photos of people, especially at partys, nights out etc. but I find it difficult. I think the best photos are the ones where no on realises you are taking it, but this is a challenge in itself as everyone's going to notice a big camera in their face! Sometimes I have to resort to quick photos, or holding the camera at an awkward angle out of sight where I cant even see what I'm photographing!

Then, if you're lucky enough to get some photos some people don't like it! I don't know if any of you experience it but a lot of people don't like being photographed unless they're "ready" and procede to tell you to stop unless you inform them you are taking a photo. :/

Is there anyway to overcome this or what has been your experience?

Also, what do consider appropriate occasions to photograph people? Partys, average night out, just a few mates over for a few drinks? I always feel awkward taking out my camera if I think the situation isn't right!

Try shooting by "the hip" literally hold the camera at your hip and snap away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

thefly wrote: »
    Try shooting by "the hip" literally hold the camera at your hip and snap away
    That's kinda creepy and stalkerish :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

This is where the 50mm on a crop sensor excels imho: candid party shots. Most people don't even notice you taking the pic from across the room/bar.

Don't know if the compact would have a wide enough aperture to handle that focal range without a flash though?

• Advertisement

steve06 wrote: »
    That's kinda creepy and stalkerish :D

If it's good enough for Joel Meyerowitz it's good enough for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I tried the hip shoot thing but just ends up with something in the way or the person being cut off at the edge or something.

What sort of "events" do you guys bring your camera to? Would you bring it to a pub, sports event, house parties? I'd hate to bring a camera and start taking pictures of people only for them to say "Why did you bring it?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

Get a TLR or any camera with a waist level viewfinder, Hasselblad, Exakta etc... These are far less intrusive and people do not feel as uncomfortable as with a eye level SLR

VonLuck wrote: »
    I tried the hip shoot thing but just ends up with something in the way or the person being cut off at the edge or something.

What sort of "events" do you guys bring your camera to? Would you bring it to a pub, sports event, house parties? I'd hate to bring a camera and start taking pictures of people only for them to say "Why did you bring it?"

Practice makes perfect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

I found most of my preconceptions about how peple feel about being photographed were wrong....I find now that most people love it and cant get enough.

Ive generally found if you carry on snapping and act casual about it people tend to respond better, if your sheepish about it well it transmits and makes people uneasy...if they have a problem they usually say so and you can just delete it and re assure them that they're not that ugly:D:D

Advertisement