Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shots in Mervue?

Options
  • 22-07-2010 1:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

was just sittin down in my kitchen when i heard some gunshot sounds at different intervals i'd swear it came from the old mervue area not to sure anyone else hear anything??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I'd put money on the bangs you heard being fireworks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

put your money where your mouth is! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DOTHEDOG

probabally but these things sounded like gun shots different than fireworks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

mink_man wrote: »
    put your money where your mouth is! :P
    euro3f.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

euro3f.jpg

impressive sir!

• Advertisement

fakes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I lived in Mervue a couple of years ago. You hear some strange stuff around there!!

ya mrs barry and her screams

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Was it military training at the barracks perhaps?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Mactard wrote: »
    Was it military training at the barracks perhaps?

They never fire weapons in residential areas.
    Father was a soldier and we lived like 10 yards from a barracks and you'd never hear anything besides the band practicing, some trucks and the air raid siren once a week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Father was a soldier and we lived like 10 yards from a barracks and you'd never hear anything besides the band practicing, some trucks and the air raid siren once a week.

Odd that, when I was in GMIT (Cluain Mhuire) I heard what sounded like gunshots (in unison) fairly often and was told it was from the barracks.

no wasn't the barracks you would know them as they fire

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Mactard wrote: »
    Odd that, when I was in GMIT (Cluain Mhuire) I heard what sounded like gunshots (in unison) fairly often and was told it was from the barracks.

You did indeed, you actually heard the recoil ( a clack) rather than the bullet ( a crack). I often heard the noise myself around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Wow, I didn't realise Ireland had that many air raids.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Wow, I didn't realise Ireland had that many air raids.

Siren in Athlone is tested every Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Siren in Athlone is tested every Friday.
    Jesus their invading us from all angles, is it them feckin Chinese is it?

ScumLord wrote: »
    Jesus their invading us from all angles, is it them feckin Chinese is it?

Nah, sure the chinese are a great bunch of lads.

I've never once heard the air raid siren. When does it usually go off?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

its not an "Air Raid" siren, it is a "general alarm". Most army barracks test them weekly. We used to do it in the Navy.

Back to subject, isn't there a small arms gun range in the barracks? I am sure I have the sound of gun shots coming from the barracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

That's not true! :rolleyes:
    They have a range at the back of the Renmore barracks and they do fire guns there. I know that for a fact because my other half used to shoot there.
    And when I was growing up, you'd often here the guns going off on a Sunday morning!!

/edit
    sorry just realised you said 'a' barracks..... not specifically renmore barracks

• Advertisement

I',
    m genuinely surprised that they had a range in Renmore, The barracks in Athlone is much bigger with more open space but they never fire there, they always go out to Cushla.

Also, when I lived in Renmore I never heard a thing...

It may be because the range faces out towards the sea. The other range used to be out on the road between Oranmore and Claregalway. In fact you can see the huge mounds of earth are still there.

Athlone barracks is practically right in the town centre and has urban areas on all sides.

NTC wrote: »
    its not an "Air Raid" siren, it is a "general alarm". Most army barracks test them weekly. We used to do in the Navy.

Back to subject, isn't there a small arms gun range in the barracks? I am sure I have the sound of gun shots coming from the barracks.

Did ye do this in the Navy too?

Sorry i couldn't resist :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

Did ye do this in the Navy too?

Sorry i couldn't resist :pac:

LOL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

If its a "clack clack" sound then yes you are hearing the Army or Gardai firing sidearms down at the range at the back of the Barracks firing the BAP ( Not sure if still in use ) or the USP.

The bigger weapons like the Steyr are fired on proper large Ranges built for that purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

NTC wrote: »

Yes there is, i have fired the BAP there on numerous occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

I have heard shots from renmore also...
    And on the subject of a siren, the pope john paul centre has one which is like an air raid siren.. You don't hear it that often, only when testing it afaik...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Where exactly is Mervue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

Up the hill from the eye cinema away from Lough Atalia, directly opposite the huntsman and up about 500 metres. spreads along between Connolly Avenue and either side of Michael Collins Rd as far as Ballybane Rd and Dublin Rd.
    ?ui=2&ik=2abad8575f&view=att&th=129fc82daaf14ee4&attid=0.3&disp=attd
    (apologies to all if this isn't entirely accurate...)

• Advertisement

Mervue runs between the Monivea Road, Ballybane Road and Dublin Road.

Sorry to all those in Monivea Park and Glenina Heights who prefer to tack Ballybane/Renmore onto their addresses :rolleyes:

Advertisement