Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Restricted Fazer 600

• 22-07-2010 2:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm thinking about getting a 2003 Fazer 600 hut will need it restricted.
    How are they restricted and does it mess them up completely?
    Also, how much are they to restrict?

Thanks for any replies...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

prob not much help for the 2003 model, but my '99 fazer is restricted with washers. Cost 300 to restrict when i purchased the bike. Have no idea where the washers went, all i know is a got the cert and the bike won't top 150kmph, which is good enough for me... for now anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

I had an 06 Fazer 600 factory restricted. Was fine for city/town stuff. Overtaking quickly and up hill into strong head winds on National roads and Motorways sucked a bit.

You'll easily cruise at 120-130kph but don't expect to get there in 5 seconds from a standing start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Have a restricted Fazer myself. Goes grand ... plenty of poke, good enough for national roads and motorways if you want to take that chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 sandphil

hi there. as a matter of interest how much was it to insure a restricted fazer 600 on a provisional licence bearing in mind i'm the ripe age of 39.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Get an online quote fron quinn.. If it's your first bike in a while this will be a good ball park figure..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭traco

Did 320kms on mine yesterday, grand but you need to be careful overtaking as its not a rocket when its up around 80-100kph, its not slow but you don't want to be taking a chance, give yourself lots of time.

Round the city, you wouldn't really notice it. Will pull away at lights quicker than any cage. Motorway is grand and it'll exceed legal limits if asked.

If you are starting its a good one to go with. Bandit would be similar. SV650 would have more torque low down as its a V-twin plus great sound.

I went with the Fazer as I figured after the restriction was removed it would be like a new bike again going from 33 - 97hp and I would be familiar with feel and handling so a good bike to progress on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

@traco, that's the idea I had too. I can't seem to find a pointy SV for anything other than stupid money. Even 99 bikes are going for over 2k.
    There's 2 nearby (and one may even be an FZ6!!) for around the 2k mark.
    The only problem is that a buyer for my car pulled out at the last minute and so the bike purchase is once again on hold ..ggrrrr.

Having said all that, the weekend deaths of bikers has made 'er indoors more worried and makes my job harder still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭traco

Sunday was targic for the biking community but there are risks in every aspect of life. I am sure that most of us have reflected on the weekends events and tried to take something from it.

Biking is a very technical skill, if you approach it with a level head and don't get carried away then you can reduce the risks. The most important and critical lesson to learn from very early on is to realise how much more you have to learn.

Treat every outing as a leraning experience and observe your progress / mistakes, don't judge it personally as that brings in emotion and you should be able to sit down afterwards and learn from the experience with an impartial view.

I don't know how much experience you have but I decided to take some lessons and bought the gear to see how biking suited me, I had ridden years ago. I didn't buy the bike until after I had passed the test and was sure I wanted to continue learning and progressing my ability and I still have a huge amount to learn.

Take your time, discuss it with your other half in respct to training, ability, bike type, conditions, weather etc Help her to understand what is involved as that will give her a better understanding. I don't think heading out under duress is wise as your head needs to focus on your needs and not be worrying about who you have left at home.

So take it handy, progress slowly and at your own pace, realise it will take time and enjoy the ongoing learning experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Pique wrote: »
    @traco, that's the idea I had too. I can't seem to find a pointy SV for anything other than stupid money. Even 99 bikes are going for over 2k.
    There's 2 nearby (and one may even be an FZ6!!) for around the 2k mark.
    The only problem is that a buyer for my car pulled out at the last minute and so the bike purchase is once again on hold ..ggrrrr.

Having said all that, the weekend deaths of bikers has made 'er indoors more worried and makes my job harder still.

Put your missus at ease by getting the training, but try not to take her out for a spin till you know you're a good rider. Also while she's on the bike, she's a rider aswell (she has to help you handle the bike), when my gf is on the bike she leans right into my back making it much easier for her to imitate my movements. Ya gotta buy her a set of gear too.

As for the '99 bikes, i think they all hold their prices pretty well, not sure of the reason though (maybe they were better built and last longer) My '99 fzs600 was 2400e with 20k miles on the clock. Cost 300 for the restriction, got it last september from a dealer on Pearse St.

Advertisement