Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you come to NZ on a 1 year WHV can you get a second year?

Options
  • 22-07-2010 3:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭

As in the title.

I came to nz and thought i was only going to be here for a few months but now think i might want to stay.

Is there a way of getting the 1 year extended to a 2 year?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

As in the title.

I came to nz and thought i was only going to be here for a few months but now think i might want to stay.

Is there a way of getting the 1 year extended to a 2 year?

Thanks in advance.

simple answer is no - think you can if you are English and even then I think you may have had to apply for a 2 year visa up front...

i think you can get 3 months extra if you do 3 months rural work but that would be crazy...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Yeap on the face of it No. If you are from the UK though you can get a 24 month WHV! Nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

You can still apply for a normal work permit.
    They have tightened up on it in the past year or so, but are still giving them out.

I'll be applying for my 4th permit soon :)

Rabies wrote: »
    You can still apply for a normal work permit.
    They have tightened up on it in the past year or so, but are still giving them out.

I'll be applying for my 4th permit soon :)

Wow, wouldnt you be better off going for PR at this stage?

Yeah... have the forms here beside now.
    But left it too late this year.
    Current permit is up first week of nov i think.

So will apply for another. Should get it, no probs there.
    Then I'll do my expression of interest and PR. Wil cost extra, but thats my screw up :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Yeah... have the forms here beside now.
    But left it too late this year.
    Current permit is up first week of nov i think.

So will apply for another. Should get it, no probs there.
    Then I'll do my expression of interest and PR. Wil cost extra, but thats my screw up :/

Is this what you are talking about>

how long is it for?

Is this what you are talking about>

how long is it for?

From an expression of interest to PR getting granted and can take 6 months to a year.
    Long time.

From an expression of interest to PR getting granted and can take 6 months to a year.
    Long time.

No I mean how long does the work permit last for?

oh.. sorry :)

Normal permit is for up to 2yrs.

I came here on WHV, then 1yr permit, then 2yr permit. Now need another.
    Get the letters from works so its all good.

oh.. sorry :)

Normal permit is for up to 2yrs.

I came here on WHV, then 1yr permit, then 2yr permit. Now need another.
    Get the letters from works so its all good.
    hmmm any chance you could run me through it a bit. Letterd from work saying what? Is there any hassle getting the visa?

If not thats fine too.

• Advertisement

Work give a letter saying I'm employed by them and they couldn't find a suitable NZ'er to fill the role (give proof of adverts placed), i give my employer a form to fill out for immigration, I fill out mine. Do the medical, and hey presto.

But I am employeed, have been with these guys for over 3.5yrs. Get paid good money (i just spend it all), and my job is at a level now that it needs a few years experience :)

Long time.

Yea man, I put my EOI in last year and I am still waiting to hear back. May not even need it now after all but hey its a backup plan.
    No I mean how long does the work permit last for?

Lasts as long as your contract up to 1 or 2 years.
    Work give a letter saying I'm employed by them and they couldn't find a suitable NZ'er to fill the role (give proof of adverts placed), i give my employer a form to fill out for immigration, I fill out mine. Do the medical, and hey presto.

But I am employeed, have been with these guys for over 3.5yrs. Get paid good money (i just spend it all), and my job is at a level now that it needs a few years experience :)

Isnt it also based on the type of job? I was able to get a work permit/visa but as I was in IT and my job was on the Skills shortage list it was all ok. The OH on the other hand was working in retail and she couldnt get sponsored even though she was a manager of the place. So it also depends on the job you are doing.

Oh and it HAS to be a full time permanent job. Part time or contract work makes it very tricky. This part fcuked me over for me EOI.

Look up the INZ website, its all there. Are you working brendan?

jank wrote: »
    Yea man, I put my EOI in last year and I am still waiting to hear back. May not even need it now after all but hey its a backup plan.

Lasts as long as your contract up to 1 or 2 years.

Isnt it also based on the type of job? I was able to get a work permit/visa but as I was in IT and my job was on the Skills shortage list it was all ok. The OH on the other hand was working in retail and she couldnt get sponsored even though she was a manager of the place. So it also depends on the job you are doing.

Oh and it HAS to be a full time permanent job. Part time or contract work makes it very tricky. This part fcuked me over for me EOI.

Look up the INZ website, its all there. Are you working brendan?

Where you based? I've had mates get EOI cleared in 4-6 months.
    My job is/was on the skill shortage list :)
    It falls under hotel/restaurant manager for the hospitality industry. I manage 2 clubs in the CBD. Both well know and busy. So right now I'm ok, with the rugby wc on the way there will be a boom in the industry next winter in the lead up. Already seeing venues making changes and its 14 months away.

It was supposed to be straight forward but as I only had a contracted role than it fcuked things up. Still though I am on the home stretch now I think / or hope!

Advertisement