Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Westbury and Shannon Banks to become part of LCC?

• 22-07-2010 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

According to D'Leader, Denis Brosnan is recommending that Westbury and Shannon Banks are to be included in one new local authority to govern the whole of Limerick City and County.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/One-local-authority-should-govern.6433540.jp

It'll be interesting to see if this is acted upon. From a quango point of view, having both a city and county local authority does seem a bit ridiculous.

It'll also dramatically reduce the number of gombeens councillors currently in existence.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/One-local-authority-should-govern.6433540.jp

It'll also dramatically reduce the number of gombeens councillors currently in existence.[/QUOTE]

if you believe that you also believe in santy, sorry o.p. short of extermenation there is no way to get rid of them, there will be cosy nests provided for them one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

pff, this will never happen, clare county council deliberately built their offices there so this wouldnt happen..also the Limerick examiner claimed the area had over 10,000 people living there? i find that hard to believe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

dave 27 wrote: »
    pff, this will never happen, clare county council deliberately built their offices there so this wouldnt happen..also the Limerick examiner claimed the area had over 10,000 people living there? i find that hard to believe!

I wouldn't be overly worried about the location of any offices Clare have there, Limerick County Council have offices by the Crescent (and previously had their offices on O'Connell street) and eventually everyone knows the Crescent will end up in Limerick city, whether it's this year or in 10 years time. LCC should have built their offices in NCW to develop a proper county town there, imo.

The population of Westbury and Shannon banks is surprisingly low, I'd be surprised if it's anything over 2,000 people, possibly a good bit less.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

I wouldn't be overly worried about the location of any offices Clare have there, Limerick County Council have offices by the Crescent (and previously had their offices on O'Connell street) and eventually everyone knows the Crescent will end up in Limerick city, whether it's this year or in 10 years time. LCC should have built their offices in NCW to develop a proper county town there, imo.

The population of Westbury and Shannon banks is surprisingly low, I'd be surprised if it's anything over 2,000 people, possibly a good bit less.

There are approx 970 houses in Westbury alone so I would guess the population of Westbury is well over 3000.
    As for the whole Limerick/Clare thing I think the best thing would be to do a door to door survey asking which local authority they would prefer to be managed by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

the answer some shannon banks resident gave on the wireless earlier today

"all the buses go into limerick, our kids go to limerick schools. Clare did nothing for us."

I would also like to see the Clare campus of UL anexed into limerick. if only to piss off Cathal Crowe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

the answer some shannon banks resident gave on the wireless earlier today

"all the buses go into limerick, our kids go to limerick schools. Clare did nothing for us."

I would also like to see the Clare campus of UL anexed into limerick. if only to piss off Cathal Crowe.

totally totally agree, all the people from the "clare suburbs", have probably gone to school in Limerick, college in Limerick, shop in Limerick, go out in Limerick and even work in Limerick..some of them even put Limerick on their post so the get it a day earlier..

I remember there was a survey done a few years ago in the dooradoyle area on whether the local residences would be in favour of a boundary extension so they would be in the city and the overwhelming majority thought that they were already in the city!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

totally totally agree, all the people from the "clare suburbs", have probably gone to school in Limerick, college in Limerick, shop in Limerick, go out in Limerick and even work in Limerick..some of them even put Limerick on their post so the get it a day earlier..

I remember there was a survey done a few years ago in the dooradoyle area on whether the local residences would be in favour of a boundary extension so they would be in the city and the overwhelming majority thought that they were already in the city!

Lets annoy Cathal Crowe !!!! Woohoo !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I'm liking the idea of an amalgamated city and county council, always said the city council should be gotten rid of, the county council do a better job anyway.

as for shannon banks and westbury, fair enough, have em, but they shouldnt get parteen etc. one city councillor recently came out for a debate on the matter and stated "I was surprised by how close parteen is on my way out here!" you've never even been there but want to control it. f off.

fkin city council make my blood boil so much, useless tossers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

zuroph wrote: »
    I'm liking the idea of an amalgamated city and county council, always said the city council should be gotten rid of, the county council do a better job anyway.

as for shannon banks and westbury, fair enough, have em, but they shouldnt get parteen etc. one city councillor recently came out for a debate on the matter and stated "I was surprised by how close parteen is on my way out here!" you've never even been there but want to control it. f off.

fkin city council make my blood boil so much, useless tossers.

wrong the county council is a shambles. It's uses the city as a ATM machine. That money then goes empty after a while or put back into the suburbs to pump more holes in the city. The city will eventually die at this rate. Thus the suburbs will collapse eventually if the core of the city is dead.

Limerick county council has a disgraceful record in developing it's towns over the last 40 years. Limerick county for it's size has not one town over 6,000. NCW only recently reached 6,000 in the last census. Places like Adare, Rathkeale, Croom, Askeaton, Mungret, Abbeyfeale, Foynes and many other areas of Limerick are like stuck in the 1960s.

So please lay of the ****e talk. If Limerick suburbs were part of the city council, the city council would be able to properly manage the city. Just like Galway and Cork. The rates would be back down to levels comparable to other cities.

You can try fool other's. But your nonsense won't fool me.

The city should manage the city end of.

mysterious wrote: »
    wrong the county council is a shambles. It's uses the city as a ATM machine. That money then goes empty after a while or put back into the suburbs to pump more holes in the city. The city will eventually die at this rate. Thus the suburbs will collapse eventually if the core of the city is dead.

Limerick county council has a disgraceful record in developing it's towns over the last 40 years. Limerick county for it's size has not one town over 6,000. NCW only recently reached 6,000 in the last census. Places like Adare, Rathkeale, Croom, Askeaton, Mungret, Abbeyfeale, Foynes and many other areas of Limerick are like stuck in the 1960s.

So please lay of the ****e talk. If Limerick suburbs were part of the city council, the city council would be able to properly manage the city. Just like Galway and Cork. The rates would be back down to levels comparable to other cities.

the city almost managed to bankrupt itself getting a bit of a sewer system put in.. checkmate.

• Advertisement

mysterious wrote: »

also, read the recommendation, an amalgamation, running the whole lot as one unit, not the city running everything. Like I just pointed out, they sent a rep to talk about how limerick should run parteen, and she never even bothered to visit before the meeting?!

the city almost managed to bankrupt itself getting a bit of a sewer system put in.. checkmate.

Wow, I expect some posters on this site to be ignorant, you're not one of them. You've enough intelligence, surely, to see where both the city and county councils have messed up? Mysterious raises good points about rural Limerick, imo.

The problem at the minute is both sides have created this mess, why does anyone expect both sides to be able to fix it?

I'm still holding out for a new Thomond, with a larger Limerick Urban area separate inside it. Brian Boru had it right, damn Vikings!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

The city council has already been bankrupt.
    Your still not winning this argument.

also, read the recommendation, an amalgamation, running the whole lot as one unit, not the city running everything. Like I just pointed out, they sent a rep to talk about how limerick should run parteen, and she never even bothered to visit before the meeting?!

Like i said, I've no interest in Limerick getting Parteen, but what has Ennis ever done for them either?

I'd like to see a link to that quote btw, there's no way anyone on the city council hasn't been to Parteen, do you think city councillors should waste their time canvassing Parteen or something?

Like i said, I've no interest in Limerick getting Parteen, but what has Ennis ever done for them either?

I'd like to see a link to that quote btw, there's no way anyone on the city council hasn't been to Parteen, do you think city councillors should waste their time canvassing Parteen or something?

AFAIK it was a radio interview, I'll see if I can find out more details tomorrow.

AFAIK it was a radio interview, I'll see if I can find out more details tomorrow.

I know the interview you're referring to, and I know the cllr, if you think she's never been to Parteen then you missed the joke. I assume by the use of "AFAIK" you didn't actually hear the interview?

On the otherhand, I don't see why you'd expect a city councillor who's ward isn't in anyway attached to Parteen to be out there in any official capacity? Limerick city council have said repeatedly they don't want to change the county boundary out there, and that at best they'd like to see Parteen and Clonlara to remain in Clare but under a Greater Limerick Urban area. Parts of the area is already covered by Limerick Fire Services etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Clare co co seem to want nothing to do with Westbury, the roads, grass and streetlights (pile of them not working) are not looked after. If this is the case then let city council take over if they want it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

But if an incident happens out there then you can't say anymore "Close that thread! It's in Co.Clare and not Limesick City!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,378 ✭✭✭✭phog

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    Clare co co seem to want nothing to do with Westbury, the roads, grass and streetlights (pile of them not working) are not looked after. If this is the case then let city council take over if they want it.

I'd much prefer to see the city council maintain and manage what they have before grabbing from surrounding areas.

phog wrote: »
    I'd much prefer to see the city council maintain and manage what they have before grabbing from surrounding areas.

What you're actually saying is you want to see the midwest decline in importance compared to other regions, you just don't realise it.

The future of the midwest depends on the rejuvenation of Limerick city, you might dislike this but your dislike doesn't have enough power to make it untrue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

I want a successful future for LIMERICK i could not care less if its city or county or borders of clare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

That Limerick city and county councils should be merged is beyond obvious, and will surely happen soon if the mutterings are anything to go by. It will also mean Limerick regaining third place in the Republic.

I'm only a blow-in of 11 years to the area and when I came first I thought the idea of Limerick taking over a part of Clare as ridiculous.

However, having seen the joke Clare Co Council have been over the years they DO deserve to lose it. So, overall I've gone from pro staying in Co Clare to being Neutral as I couldn't stand up for Clare Co Co.

As an aside I find Cathal Crowe to be grand, but as for the that muppet Pascal. ;) His only input to the area I could see was to put up a no dumping sign along side his house because people were putting grass cuttings into the long hedgerow on his side of the road, and delighted to say even more grass cuttings have been placed into the hedgerow since. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

[/I][/B]

Mmm, seem to remember from history like minded thinking ended in a bad way for Europe.

What you're actually saying is you want to see the midwest decline in importance compared to other regions, you just don't realise it.

The future of the midwest depends on the rejuvenation of Limerick city, you might dislike this but your dislike doesn't have enough power to make it untrue.

No, that's not what I'm saying and please dont put words in my mouth. Did you read what I replied to, it was quoted in my reply.

I have more faith in Clare CC than Limerick City Council but that does not mean I'm against a Mid West Region Authority that would look after the planning and investment of the region.

In fact if I had my way I close all the town, city and county councils and set up regional boards but that's another story.

If Clare co co want nothing to do with the place then let the City have it. Recently the residents of Clonard and Riverdale were trying to raise money to have the grass cut themselves so bad is the problem.

If Clare co co want nothing to do with the place then let the City have it. Recently the residents of Clonard and Riverdale were trying to raise money to have the grass cut themselves so bad is the problem.

How sure are you the city will maintain the area if they take it over? Have a look at the state of the roads around Stenson Park and Fort Mary park and see what the city council are doing about it. Look at the shrubs/trees growing out of the Old City Walls, a major tourist attraction and no on cares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

What people seem to forget is that during my life on this earth, living in Shannon banks, during the 80's and 90's Limerick City Council looked after the estates with CCC looking after the roads(not very well).

Street lighting, grass cutting, collection of bins(bins said Limerick City on them) and other things Im sure when in the jurisdiction.

Corbally ended at Shannon banks as such. There was no Westbury or Westbury Centre. They were fields. One had a GAA pitch and the other had a Soccer Pitch.

CCC took the notion, Im sure, that they really took over the area from the "Jet Station/Boland & O'Reillys"(as it was known at the time) even though the old rusting sign welcoming you to Co Clare was where it is today, halfway along that low wall around 200mtrs passed the bridge.

People still use Limerick as their postal address to get their post faster and most, being suburbia, consider themselves from Limerick. Many then contradict the situation by claiming to be in Co Clare for the purposes of insuring the car or house and can do nothing about the fact that if they buy a new car they WILL get a CE registration.

There are always some crossovers in Healthcare and Tax purposes. I live, currently, in Tipperary and because Im so close to Limerick I needed to sign on in the Limerick Social Welfare Office. I found this out after driving all the way to Nenagh to be told certain parts of Tipperary and Clare are looked after by Limerick City.

The same applies to my Tax. I write to Charlottes Quay even though I have a Tax office in Nenagh.

There wouldn't be very much administration work to be done to consider people from Limerick. Back in the 80's/90's when my father would buy a car he would get an L registration even though technically he was from Parteen Co Clare.

I think most people in Clare and concerned about giving us their land to another county and some people really want to be living in Clare for whatever personal reason they have.

Personally I have no stake in the matter any longer. I could go either way when I was growing up in the area and still assume people feel the same.

I just think its inevitable but I think that Limerick City Council really want to push their borders out so that they can take Dooradoyle and Raheen for Commercial Rates from those factories and stores but must bubble out in other directions as a rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Hmmm...Fixed that road that runs outside the primary school about 18 years ago. That's about it I think.

How sure are you the city will maintain the area if they take it over?.

Id like to give them the benefit of the doubt considering Clare co co are doing zero anyway.

• Advertisement

Id like to give them the benefit of the doubt considering Clare co co are doing zero anyway.

..........and if Limerick City council do zero for your estate should Tipp NR take over the area then just so that they might cut the grass?

Has Clare Co Co taken over the estate that you mention, I live in an estate in Clare and th public areas are cut a few times a month by contractors on behalf of Clare Co Co.

..........and if Limerick City council do zero for your estate should Tipp NR take over the area then just so that they might cut the grass?

In that case at least my road tax money will be used on roads I acually use every day instead of it being used to fill some pothole in Tulla.

Limerick roads clogged up every morning by CE reg cars (worst drivers in the country IMO) and none of them contributing a cent.

If Clare wont hand it over I suggest blowing the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Clare County Council do sweet f**k all for Westbury and Shannon Banks.

And as for the Mayor of Clare Christy Curtin complaining during the week about this whole issue, what a joker he must be, I've lived in Westbury for the last 8 years and I've never even heard of him.

Bring on Limerick Council, sooner rather than later..

L.T.P. wrote: »
    I've lived in Westbury for the last 8 years and I've never even heard of him.

Mr Crowe is the only one who has ever knocked at my door (election time surprise surprise)

In that case at least my road tax money will be used on roads I acually use every day instead of it being used to fill some pothole in Tulla.

Limerick roads clogged up every morning by CE reg cars (worst drivers in the country IMO) and none of them contributing a cent.

If Clare wont hand it over I suggest blowing the bridge.

There's a section of road that was belonged to Limerick County Council and was taken over by Limerick city council in the last land grab, surprise surprise they haven't touched since they got it other throw a shovel of loose stones into swimming pools with the thought that will keep the natives happy.

Limerick cuty council have not interest in gaining housing estates they want to get their grubby hand on the industrial estates in Raheen and Castletroy, so that they get more rates from the business community to build more bus lanes on roads that dont have buses.

you don't think road tax actually goes to local roads do you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭molard

the reason clare co co do nothing in westbury is the estate is not taking in charge yet.i read in the paper they are looking at clonard at the moment. any residents interested should look for the running track,tennis courts and speed ramps promised with this development to be put in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Given the state of the country I don't think it matters one bit. All of this boundary rivalry is laughable.

Advertisement