Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Generating ERD Diagram from Oracle Database

Options
  • 22-07-2010 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

Hey guys!

I have a question about generating an ERD diagram from an Oracle (9i) database, which I'm hoping someone here can help me with....

I'm working on application which has a pretty big Oracle database behind it. The database has approx 300 tables and I would like to extract/generate a database diagram from it to make it easier to understand the table relationships. I did not work on the design of the database myself.

Are there any free tools out there which can help me here? I've done my googling already but I still cannot find anything reliable.

Thanks for your help!

Tommy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I'm not sure if Oracle SQL Developer data modeller is free... but looks like it can import an existing database metadata.

Oracle SQL Developer data modeller

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

I'm not sure if Oracle SQL Developer data modeller is free... but looks like it can import an existing database metadata.

Oracle SQL Developer data modeller

Thanks for that, I use SQL Developer but didn't know they had a modeller edition too. I just checked it out and it looks like it's free, will give it a whirl and update here with how it goes in case any comes across this in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

This visio can do this. Generated one from our SQL database.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

voxpop wrote: »
    This visio can do this. Generated one from our SQL database.

Was your db Oracle based though voxpop? Did it bring up any problems for you? I read some threads saying that there are a lot problems related to importing Oracle db schemas in to Visio....though I have not yet tried it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Was your db Oracle based though voxpop? Did it bring up any problems for you? I read some threads saying that there are a lot problems related to importing Oracle db schemas in to Visio....though I have not yet tried it myself.

No SQL 2000 and 2005 - it uses a dsn to connect to the database. Comes with a native SQL driver and an ODBC oracle driver (visio 2000). Not sure how well it will work tbh, but works great with mssql

• Advertisement
Advertisement