Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tp-Link Routers

Options
  • 22-07-2010 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭

Yup, another router Q! ...These routers seem pretty nifty, reliable and quite cheap, seem to be getting decent reviews and a nice way to get an N network

not to sure on specs n stuff but theres 2 ones on ebay..

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220637640259&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

and

http://cgi.ebay.ie/NEW-TP-LINK-WIRELESS-N-BROADBAND-CABLE-ROUTER-300MBPS-/220634500680?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item335ed74e48

is the 2nd one really worth the extra? not fully sure about the specs and stuff, but anything is better than what i have at the moment!

im on an unsecured network here at home, since the nearest house is 100m away through trees and walls.... so figure the first one is good enough to be good here but shudnt stretch too far if i leave it unsecured...

Anyways I have a desktop upstairs through 3 walls about 10m from the router then in the complete opposite direction about 20m away through 3 walls and there is a n compatable xbox and a wii there + a lappy floating around everywhere.... id imagine the first one is more than capable of doing the job

but i do have one of these external antenna's i could connect to the 2nd option there to completly get the inet goin - http://www.camelegg.com/product/N82E16833162132

...probably completly over thinking this rather simple issue! but yeah any input is welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 fr_ted

Hi -=al=-,

You are still going to be limited by your internet connection. N is no good unless you are transferring files between to N radio cards on client devices.

I Have the TP-Link 100Mb version and its top dog for local network.
    15 quid is cheap, as I got mine for 50 a year or more ago. Firmware is a bit limited..

If you want to hack a router and do some development I'd recommend
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54GL

Cheers
    Ted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Yeah internet is only like 3mb, lately its been super slow at that too and pretty much very very very bad upload speeds it's getting annoying!

Basicly need a nice reliable router with a pretty big range and no messing about... the house is a bungalow type and its about 100ft in length, the routers right in the middle but theres wifi equipment in each opposite end, router we have now is pants, i don't really intend on upgrading the next router for a while so these n routers should do the job

Probably will be transfering and sharing media between devices even though theres only one N compatable device but just want an upgrade with great range and reliability

Will there actually be much of a difference in the performance in the routers i mentioned? might just pay that lil bit extra to get the 300mbps one + can use that ridiculous massive external antenna i have!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭dunworth1

i'm the same i'm looking to upgrade my network to N

and i stumbled across your thread and looked at the routers above.

and had a search on ebay and came across a d-link dir-615 for only £19.99 and £5.95 p&p i think this is a great price for it

it gets great reviews and from what i have seen better ones then the tp-link routers you linked to

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290445786282&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

Thats the other one i was looking at, but ordered one of the tplink routers and a N usb adapter last friday morning, should be here this week, Ill let you know how i get on!

cheers i ordered a pcie mini card for my laptop aswell but thats coming from hk so will proberly have to wait

but i will update on my results aswell

p.s the terminator theme is awesome great job

• Advertisement

why thank you 8)

got the router and adapter today, easy to setup and install, done in minutes and i had the laptop, pc and xbox going...it definitly increased the range at least 3 times more than the old router, only losing 1-2 bars about 60m away through a lot of walls, didn't go outside to see how far the range extends but definitly a lot faster within the network, if only i can get my internet more than 3mbps! firmware can be upgraded but the browser setup is easy and a lot of options to mess with

On the Pc now its about 15m away upstairs through a wall and attic and im connected with full bars @ 243mbps

not the most sleek of routers but does a very good job, the adapter installed easy too without any software to use so just got the drivers for it and it uses windows network connections which i like, i hate when adapters use their own software

i recomend, worked out at €45 or so for the 2 items, + €10 shipping... a nice easy way to get 300mbps N network going!

do you have the n adapter for your xbox or just the normal one

Its the new xbox so it has N built in, half the reason why i upgraded, to get the xbox a better signal and just needed a general upgrade of the network! all working swimingly

i see i will have to pick up an n adapter aswell but have no money for it at the moment.

Advertisement