Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eating in ballina

Options
  • 22-07-2010 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

going to ballina in a few weeks time can you recommend good eating places there chinese, italian and lunch or dinner during the day time thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

icehouse

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

Market Kitchen which is above Brennans Bar...opposite Penny's / Tesco car park.
    The Broken Jug also do good food (at the top of the main street beside the post office)...just bar food. I like them there for their service...the waitresses there are more concerned that you get what you want and the amount that you want than what you are!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

Dillons is another great place for food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

I see Quatro is closed again.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

finisklin wrote: »
    I see Quatro is closed again.....

I think the chef opened the Market Restaurant Brennans lane, for sure its one of the most popular in Ballina, I have been there about 10 times and its always full. Love how they have the open kitchen to the restaurant, nice to see them in action.

• Advertisement

Kieran is gone from Quattro since the Market Kitchen opened two years ago. Quattro was taken over recently by new management from Westport I think, but has closed in the last week. This really is a poor statement on the local economy and the bar/restaurant business in the current climate, given that this is supposed to be a busy time of year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

How long is Quattro's closed for?!

@OP - Love Lee's or Real Gourmet for chinese food (only a stones throw away from each other) - both are very nice.
    If you want normal food, try the Broken Jug for their carvery (evening menu not great, compared to other restaurants in town, imo) or Dillons - both are close to the town centre.
    Another suggestion would be Jordans on the Dublin road, haven't been there in a while but I was impressed with the food and they never seem to be short of customers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Love Lee's is the best Chinese...chicken dry hot and spicy YUM!

Normal food The Broken Jug is the best for lunch and Dillons for dinner/evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

I heard last night that the guy running Quattro closed the doors on Wednesday night last and the staff turned up for work on Thursday and could not get in. This is really bad for the town. And especially the location of quattro right in the middle of Pearse Street which has recently undergone a major facelift at enormous expense - it looks great. Sad for all those people who worked in Quattro. I used to go there on a night out for dinner and a drink or two. The staff were great and the food was lovely. During the day it was a nice place to pop in for a quiet drink or a coffee and a chat. It was a popular place at the weekends with the music and nightclub and on a Monday nights they had bands playing.
    But like everything else the recession has well and truly kicked in now and obviously the crowds had diminished and the bands were not playing.
    I was around the town late on Friday night and the place was like a ghost town. I think we are really and truly feeling the recession now in Ballina.

I see Jordan's are advertising a "if you catch it, we'll cook it" for salmon anglers.....sounds a great idea. Good innovation and if you are catching loads of salmon what better way to treat yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

If you want to chance your arm and grab some free food...the Auld Shabeen give you some free grub now and again...platters of cocktail sausages, chicken wings and onion rings were doing the rounds on Saturday night just past!!! There was a 60th birthday going on...maybe it was something to do with that...but I hear boxty does the rounds on Sundays afternoons!!!
    Not a bar I would often drink in...but it seems to be still packing them in...and if they are as good as what I've seen to their customers with the freebies...then they deserve the good business they're getting in hard financial times!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Ah, nothing beats the Chinese after Longneck's, what is it, King's or something. Apparently Murphy's is nice enough to eat in. Get ice-cream from Cafolla's, amazing! +1 for Ice House, fabulous food and a really nice setting. I believe the club house in the golf club do good food. Had dinner one time in Mount Falcon and that was really lovely, bit out of the way though...

Advertisement