Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moonkin

Options
  • 22-07-2010 10:12am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So im levelling up an old Druid alt atm and went dual spec to try out Moonkin.
    I had intended being resto spec @ 80 but since my main is a holy priest and i find healing on priest a lot more fun than a druid im considering Moonkin as main spec as to my surprise its a lot of fun.
    Currently lvl 76 and im constantly topping the damage meters in randoms,i have 4 heirlooms equipped but even still i never remember my lock or rogue doing so much damage at this lvl.
    Being a healer as a main while raiding i never bothered looking at damage meters etc so i cant say how well the moonkins perform so my question to you guys in the know are moomkins up there with the top dps?
    Moonkin is very enjoyable atm and i may even have this guy as my main dps alt or even a main as im enjoying it so much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Heh, Lazer chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

im resto/moonkin

Great fun alright. I have all the healing classes above 75, and i find my druid to be the most fun to heal with. I dont know why, i just like juggling the heals.

Im not geared for DPS, but its very easy to do damage with him. if you are 80 with anyway decent gear you should get over 3.5-4k min on a single target, which imo is alright. The problem is single target DPS gets boring fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

I also found it quiet boring to dps as boomkin. Love healing on the druid though. Stick with going resto at 80 anyway for instant dungeons to gear up quickly, you'll have a full resto and boomkin set in a couple days and sure you can just use some resto pieces for boomkin until you get better specific gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

a good played boomkin can get some great damage out. but Anyone I talked to that has played boomkin says its extremly boaring. Im currently leveling up a druid 76 at the moment. And still undecided what spec I should go.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

What rotation isn't boring ? My boomkin is well geared and was pulling between 11-12k on ten man and more on 25 , I find managing the eclipses to be the most.challenging of any dps class.

Much like any class once you know what your doing the can get good results.

Icc is very negative towards boomkins due to the large element off movement. This for me makes it more enjoyable having an obstacle to overcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Cullly poke maxi if when he's on. Has been required to respec boomkin now so might be able to advise/help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

Like any new class it will be fun to play for a while. But it will get boring after a while. I'm still yet to see a boomkin top the meters in Icc on any fight. Do they just need buffing, or is it that the people playing them just arn't that good?

Bit of both really I'd say. Reckon though it's people playing them get so bored they actually miss a rotation, which is all of what, 2 or 3 keys you press constantly ? Also, if you're lagged at all, you will miss getting the best from your dps rotation, or eclipse will proc mid cast while casting the opposite spell you should be casting to take full advantage of it's buff.

The boomkin Tree itself isn't that great either for adding damage multipliers and all that stuff. Feral is a lot more involved, tricky and generally harder to pull off (imo anyway).

I suppose it's the drawback of a true hybrid class, you'll never compare to more pure dps classes, like a hunter or warlock for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Like any new class it will be fun to play for a while. But it will get boring after a while. I'm still yet to see a boomkin top the meters in Icc on any fight. Do they just need buffing, or is it that the people playing them just arn't that good?

It is a bit of both.

ICC doesnt lend itself well to boomkins. A lot of the fights ( especially hard modes) require a lot of movement and sometimes target swopping.

Boomkins by design rely heavily on procs to do damage, so on occasions your relying heavily on procing at the right time ( this is the reason behind the change in cata)

Boomkins on average wont top meters but there is plenty of good players who will. A friend of mine in my guild, when he plays boomkin is usually pushing first spot.

In my guild on our ten mans runs our dps is very, very ,very high, so I'd be pushing the top 1-2 places with a hefty amount of dps.

In 25mans I'm usually top 5-10 again with alot of dps. But when your faced with the likes of rogues, fire mages and warlocks who operate much more efficently under target swopping and movement, it is easy to see why boomkins are not top.

ICC is melee prefered, and punishes boomkins due to heavy movement :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Sorry to go a little off topic, but since we talking druids. Im lvling a druid as restro (i know it doesnt work for questing, figured that out pretty fast), he is 67 atm. I only lvl him via dungeons mostly with rested exp. Just wondering what sort of addons i would need for healing, im finding im liking healing alot with a druid, its the first healer ive used. Healing has gotten alot harder since i hit Outland, but i manage. Only problem i really find is that most the randoms i join have DK's as tanks who have no clue how to tank or dont have the gear (inspected one guy wondering why i couldnt keep him up, turns out he had gear with SP among other things:confused:).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

My mate who is an insane Druid healer (solo BQL 10 hc :o) uses x-perl always and swears by it! I'll try and get more out of him but take a look at it :) just so you know, instance healing and raid healing are very different :o

but back on topic, boomkins are a lot of fun to play! My boomkin isn't fantastically geared but still, ten man pugs with it I'm usually first if not second, last 25 man lk I remember I was coming 5th and that was as a pug in a guild run! With another much better geared boomkin at 2nd. We are under-estimated, which is the reason I love playing him :) it's really learning when is the best time to do what. A lot of boomkins have problems with starfall timers for instance, it's totally the players knowledge that gets you through it.

Stinky, I don't use any addons for healing with the Druid, don't see any need for them. All I do is put the tank on focus with focus frame moved to bottom central location to keep an easy eye on it. Rest is mostly just hots on party when required.
    Most DK's haven't a clue at tanking or spec'ing right for it so you'll have to get used to that, bit of a challenge to keep them alive.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Stinky check out vuhdo addon for healing.
    I use it on my main holy priest,pala and druid.
    Ive tried pretty much all healing addons and just prefer what vuhdo offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

your main options are probably
    healbot
    Grid
    Vuhdo

imo healbot is the easiest out-of-the-box addon

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've wanted to roll a Druid for a while now, but i think i'll wait till Cata and roll a Worgen Druid.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

I play my dudu fairly rarely - for the odd instance or raid. Like a previous poster said, Healbot is easiest out of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,460 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Kiith wrote: »
    I've wanted to roll a Druid for a while now, but i think i'll wait till Cata and roll a Worgen Druid.
    Same. I've got a Nightelf Druid up to level 33 but to be frank I found the NE zones really not to my liking and it threw me off the toon. It also doesnt help that im in a Twink-Funk: Dont wanna quest and randoms keep taking me to the Same. Damn. Instance. Every. Time. And the being a low 30 makes you a joke in the BG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 CamomileCurt

Shougeki wrote: »
    I play my dudu fairly rarely - for the odd instance or raid. Like a previous poster said, Healbot is easiest out of the box.

...I think you are underestimating what you can achieve with your dudu; you need to play with it more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

played moonkin for a while last night.. was doing decent enough dps, 4.4k on a single (boss) target wasnt too bad i thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Soulsos

I tend too top dps in most randoms/raids .. unless there's a mage in the group .. at 80 I still think mages have the the top dps spot. .. not that much more

• Advertisement
Advertisement