Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help me to find the right pet

Options
  • 22-07-2010 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭

Hi guys
    i'm writing this because I need help from you, pet lovers :p
    My wife wants a pet to love, she is thinking at a cat or a small dog so I'd love to make a present a take a puppy for her.
    and here are the questions...I never had a pet so I really dunno what it is involved in this decision.
    We live in a double bed apt, we work from 9 to 5 and there is nobody at home during this time, we usually hit the gym 2 or 3 times a week, which means that sometimes we are not at home for the most part of the day.
    From one side i think a cat would be better in this scenario, on the other I think that a pet might feel lonely staying all this time on his own :confused:
    what do you think?
    then, how much is a vaccination in ireland? how much would cost if we need to leave him with a "per-sitter" if we go abroad for holidays etc..? (we are not irish so we spend at least from 2 to 3 weeks outisde the country, so putting a pet on the plane with us might not be an option sometimes)
    any suggestion would be really appreciated. ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Since you'll be gone so long I'd recommend a cat, well actually two cats! Two kittens would be better to leave alone than a dog. They'd play with each other all day, you could leave out dry kitten food and water and they are easily litter trained. You couldn't leave a puppy in an apartment all day, not even an adult dog cos they'd need to poo, and would need attention. If you got an adult dog and got someone to walk it at lunchtime then that might be ok. And maybe instead of going to the gym, just walked the dog instead! But puppies would need attention at regular times through the day really, for the first few months at least.

If you did go for an adult dog, then I'd recommend something like a cavalier king charles or a bichon frise, which are small and lovely dogs, even though they need a lot of attention. You could probably find adult ones on donedeal or somewhere. Or to go for an adult small dog from a shelter if you want. Then you can figure out which one might be ok to leave alone for the day.

I'd really think a cat would be more suitable for you though. Two kittens are as easy to look after as one, and wouldn't need as much attention. And cats are a lot easier to look after than dogs. And are still lovely pets :)

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I don't think a dog is a good option for you as it would be on its own for much too long.

Even cats need company however. You could get two cats so that they will be company for each other while you are at work. However, if you are both also at the gym in the evenings, and presumably have a few other nights out - your cats will still be on their own too much, I would think, especially if they will be locked in an apartment alone.

Maybe you would be better looking at a small animal like a hamster, as it won't need as much attention?

BTW - catteries cost upwards of €12 a day per cat the last time I used one.

If you do get cats, then make sure to have loads of toys, scratching posts, cat trees, and things like cardboard boxes with holes in them etc. that they can play in. My cat I had in an apartment was really bored and lonely during the day, and had behavioural problems, so that he got really hyper and bold and destructive. He would chew cables, but only to get attention, like if I wasn't looking at him he'd go over to the cables to get attention, and then pretend he was going to bite them because he knew he'd get given out to. Or he'd jump on the counters or something because he knew I'd go over to him them. (He then got to move, with me, to the countryside and become an outdoor cat and play with three other cats, so he was happy!)

So you have to be careful they don't get destructive if they're bored. Like be careful of electrical cables, don't leave glasses or anything on counters or tables, don't have breakable things in general!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭zeusnero

Blackpitts wrote: »
    Hi guys
    My wife wants a pet to love, she is thinking at a cat or a small dog so I'd love to make a present a take a puppy for her.

Has she ever though about getting a Rabbit?

We live in a double bed apt, we work from 9 to 5 and there is nobody at home during this time, we usually hit the gym 2 or 3 times a week, which means that sometimes we are not at home for the most part of the day.
    From one side i think a cat would be better in this scenario, on the other I think that a pet might feel lonely staying all this time on his own :confused:
    what do you think?

The fact that there won't be anybody at home for most of the day, multiple days a week would make for a very sad pet (be it a dog or cat). Your best option here, as already voiced in earlier posts, would be to go for 2 cats that can keep each other company.
    then, how much is a vaccination in ireland? how much would cost if we need to leave him with a "per-sitter" if we go abroad for holidays etc..? (we are not irish so we spend at least from 2 to 3 weeks outisde the country, so putting a pet on the plane with us might not be an option sometimes)

Is there any possibility of having someone you know mind the pet (in the case of a dog) when you go on holidays? Or in the case of a cat/cats, checking in on them every couple of days?

zeusnero wrote: »
    Has she ever though about getting a Rabbit?

Or two rabbits :) they like company too! And can be very friendly, intelligent and make great house pets. They can be littertrained quite easily (usually) and then it just takes two minutes to clean them out and they won't smell if the littertray is emptied everyday. They make a good "starter pet" for adults too as they don't need quite as much attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I've thought again about this - and I think even with 2 cats they won't be happy if they are on their own in the apartment, all day & evening for most of the week. Maybe if you & your partner went to the gym on different days so that your cats would have company most evenings?

I used to live in an apartment with 2 cats and I made a lot of effort to play with them every evening, and had tons of toys, climbing posts, & scratching posts for them. I did notice that if I was out for the evening, they would really get the crazies and get v. wound up.

All animals need some kind of regular stimulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭zeusnero

morganafay wrote: »
    Or two rabbits :)

I was getting to that :)

(didn't want to scare the OP off with thoughts of hundreds of bunnies running around the place!)

Seriously though, I have 2 rabbits and they do make great pets. (just make damn sure you don't get two males or get ready for WW3)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

a kitten, you can train to your way of living
    a dog need room, they do need a door to go out to toilet
    they need company all the time
    they need walks
    they bark
    they whine while you are away
    cat is perfect for you, sleep quietly in her/his basket
    on your lap, easy maintain, you can go away for day or two, cat wont mind, they like nothing better than their own company most of the time,
    but while it is a kitten, give it all the attention you can, and train it
    you will have a quiet peaceful friend for years

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

thank u guys for all the suggestions.
    I think the "dog" option is out of the question unfortunately, we might take 1 cat but 2 would be too much.
    we haven't someone coming over for the pet when we are out, we have no family here and all our friends don't know how to take care of a animal, so the cattery might be a solution, although i don't like the idea of leaving him/her into a cage for a week or so.
    I'll think about the rabbit(s) although i know she would love a cat.
    maybe we won't go for any pet as we know it's not like a toy and we don't want to make its life miserable leaving it alone at home for most of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i had rabbits for 12 yrs
    dont go there
    they need alot of cleaning, and can stink out the place, loved them, but the cat can go out windows to toilet or you can put in a box of catlitter in some quiet place, or both

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭Heroditas

we might take 1 cat but 2 would be too much.

They really wouldn't be. There's zero extra effort in looking after two, bar giving out extra cuddles!
    Indoor cats are great because they are extremely affectionate.
    If the two come from the same litter, all the better because they will be well used to each other and will have a very strong bond.

I think two kittens are easier than one, because they need less attention really. One can be quite demanding for attention, and a bit hyper because you are the only one they can play with. I have two at the moment and they play together all day. I think they would be ok to leave alone until the evening, as long as you spent a few hours cuddling them in the evening, and a little while in the morning (maybe half an hour). Though mine get a lot of attention during the day at the moment, when they're older they won't cos I'll be at college.

Like my indoor cat was really lonely, but once we left him outdoors to play with the other cats he was a changed cat. He went from hyper and bold to really quiet and cuddly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Two kittens would be better or two adult cats from a rescue that just want somewhere comfy to curl up, there are lots of older cats in rescue that still have plenty of years left to live even a 3 or 4 year old cat can live till 18 yrs or so but they are passed the kittens stage but all cats esp. indoor cats need excercise to make sure they don't get overweight.
    But there are lots of fun toys out there.

It's funny though if you got a small dog you wouldn't need to pay for gym membership anymore dog walking is a brilliant form of excercise but not being there during the day would be a problem.

Cats can become lonley too, if ever my parents are away and a friend is feeding and looking after them they still miss them and George especially will sit at the door waiting for them to come home.

Vaccinations can be anything from 25 to 40 euro, if you get a rescue cat from a good rescue the cat will probably already be vaccinated and spayed/neutered so you give a donation to cover that or their set donation fee. There's also cat health insurance (allianz.ie) which is worth looking at.

There are some good catteries (pet sitters) around but some are dodgy so you'd need to check out the place before leaving your cat there if you go on holidays. Pet sitters can cost anything from 12 to 21 euro ish a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭JKM

If you're going to be away from the cat for any kind of extended period during the day and the cat is going to be housebound it is going to need a companion. Cats are very sociable animals. Please don't get just one kitten.
    I'm speaking from experience here (have four cats and am fostering a fifth) and trust me two really is as easy, if not easier than looking after one. OK you need to bear in mind that you will have twice the food bills, vet bills etc. But I would suggest that if this would put you off then reconsider whether you should get any pet at all.
    All animals (including humans) need company, attention and care. One animal alone half the day is not fair at all. Animals shouldn't be got with selfish motives in mind i.e. you want a pet to cuddle etc etc.
    My crew get on so well, always together, they would not be the same content animals they are without each other. And both me and my OH work at home so they're getting constant attention from us as well. Just think about it and do what's best for whatever animal(s) you may get, don't just consider whats best for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

goat2 wrote: »
    i had rabbits for 12 yrs
    dont go there
    they need alot of cleaning, and can stink out the place, loved them, but the cat can go out windows to toilet or you can put in a box of catlitter in some quiet place, or both

You can house train a rabbit very easily to go in a litter tray or to ask to go out...obviously for second option you need to be in the house when he/she asks :D

I house trained my rabbit very successfully, unfortunately he is no longer alive but when he always was extremely clean in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Id second everyone else's opinion in either 2 kittens or 2 rabbits.

I had a rabbit years ago and he, in some ways, was just like a cat, loved attention and rubs, he wasn't litter trained but he could very easily have been as he only went on one corner in the house on newspaper, he was outside in a hutch at night and until about 3 in the afternoon then he had the run of the house all day, he loved sprawling out in front of the fire in the evening while we watched tv and was happy with being let loose in the garden once a day (fully enclosed and very closely supervised), when we moved house and no longer had an enclosed garden he even adjusted to walking on a lead.
    I would consider them a very low maintenance pet once you have the hutch bought (which can be expensive for a suitable sized one, or if you know someone that can build one all the better), food is quite cheap and anything is considered a toy to them (cardboard boxes and toilet roll tubes), we were lucky in that he was never sick so vet's fees were minimal. One thing I would reccommend is getting them neutered which can be very expensive for rabbits but well worth the money. They need yearly vaccinations also.
    You'd also need to rabbit proof your house and make sure it doesn't have access to wires as they do chew them, trust me from experience of our fella going in behind the tv and chewing a load of wires (none of which were connected to plugs thank god).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭Heroditas

and George especially will sit at the door waiting for them to come home.

Both of ours do that, even if we go out to get the groceries!
    They have a remarkable way of making us feel bad about leaving them alone for any period of time.

As for when the suitcases are produced, good grief, they really pile on the guilt trip then!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I would highly recommend adopting an older cat, 3 or 4+ is a great age, still playful, but fond of a good sleep.
    I adopted a 3ish year old cat just over a year ago and he's great, was litter trained and very well mannered, and has no real issues other than he thinks he's one of the dogs:eek:
    He comes walkies with the dogs if I'm not careful, and plays fetch(well almost, he runs away with toys and won't give them back, but then so do the dogs sometimes).
    He had been handed in as he had a touch of cat flu and his previous owners didn't want to pay a vet bill and "had more cats anyway":rolleyes:
    There's often adult cats in shelters and you can meet them and see there personalities. They do need some time and lots of attention to settle in, but they have many advantages over kittens.

My rabbits are all littertrained (4 of them at the moment) though there will be a few stray poops, they always pee in the litter trays. My kittens are better though, they always go in the tray! I didn't need to littertrain the rabbits, they just chose a corner to go in so I put the litter trays in those corners. They're really smart and have nice individual personalities. I've always been a cat person, and had dogs too, but I'm really starting to like rabbits (and guinea pigs) more and more.

It's probably why I like cats more than dogs, I like nice quiet easy to look after pets, but still with nice personalities.

Anyway . . . I'll stop talking about rabbits now . . . and back on topic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

Two guinea pigs would also make a nice pet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

How about - fish - simple & can be left with a feeding block.

2 kittens always easier than 1!

Guinea pigs - but these are day time active.

Rats are active day & night.

A hamster small & easy to look after & noctural.

Lost of smal animals can make great pets - but please do a lot of reading up before you buy a surprise present for your other half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Aug2009

Cat

Because

1. they are independent so can handle themselves if you are away just get somebody to call with food:)
    2. they are so cute:P
    3. no need to walk them:cool:
    4. Did i mention that they are soooo cute:P?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fitzg

Do you live in Blackpitts Blackpitts? Because I do and I am an excellent, experienced minder of cats and other small pets for when you go away :)
    At the moment I have two very affectionate, playful and lovable guinea pigs - guinea pigs are cheerful, friendly little bundles of love - they live between 5 and 7 years - they are active day and night - mine are up munching and chattering as I write - they greet me with whistles when I come in the door and run up to the bar of their run to say hello :)
    Care-wise they do need daily attention - they can be nervous when they are babies if they haven't been handled much but they soon get to like you if you are gentle and patient and give them lots of safe and healthy treats like grass or a piece of carrot or apple.
    They reward your love by loving you back a thousand-fold!
    In my opinion (and I have had some really great rabbits in my time) they are easier to keep in an apartment than rabbits because they don't climb or chew things as much as rabbits and because guinea pigs will try and talk to you in their little language of squeaks, whistles and grunts!!
    ALSO!! I would recommend that you both go and visit the dspca shelter up in Rathfarnham - www.dspca.ie they have wonderful cats and kittens and if you do decide to go down the cat/kitten road they are a wonderful supportive informative start - they can find the cat that is right for your situation - ie a cat that is ok to be left alone or two cats that they believe will suit the situation. They also have small pets for rehoming from time to time. check the website or go and visit - they know all about looking after pets and will be happy to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

Fitzg wrote: »
    Do you live in Blackpitts Blackpitts? Because I do and I am an excellent, experienced minder of cats and other small pets for when you go away :)

yes, i used to live in Blackpitts, not living very far now, please PM your details as I might need your help in future ;)
    Fitzg wrote: »

so we have made our mind and we are going for a kitten, we are picking her up on sunday.
    to be honest I'm afraid to leave her alone at home (she is just 8 weeks old) so i'm really considering to take another one (possibly another female) so tehy can take each other company, unfortunately her little brothers and sister are already gone :(
    do you think i can take another one from another place and they will still get along with each other? i don't have a lot of experience so i'm afraid they can get into a fight or something...
    what would you think guys?/?

Advertisement