Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange Limited Site Access Issue

• 22-07-2010 10:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,540 ✭✭✭✭

We're having a weird problem accessing some of our sites from within our office.

The bullet points:

- The sites won't load in our browser.
    - If I ping any of them I get "Destination Port Unreachable" (not Destination Host Unreachable)
    - The sites are hosted on hosting365
    - We called H365, they say its not their problem, call Eircom.
    - We called Eircom, they say its not their problem, call H365.
    - We tried a different wireless modem (my home modem) - same issue (from the office - sites load fine from home).
    - My home modem is using OpenDNS, so its not an Eircom DNS issue.
    - I did ipconfig release, renew and flushdns on our PDC.
    - I tried a bunch of sites listed here and they all work.

Any ideas what else I can try?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

It's hard to say without knowing what sites you're talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,540 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

One of the sites is www.spinnakerpro.com

It seems to be accessible from anywhere on the outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

If non-standard ports are being used, are they filtered at your firewall?

To eliminate as many variables as possible, we wired a laptop directly into the modem. We've tried turning the firewall off (on the modem).

How far do you get using traceroute?
    And can you ping 82.195.146.32?

• Advertisement

Gets to step 10 on the tracert, and ends with this:

10 web8.hosting365.ie [82.195.146.32] reports: Destination protocol unreachable.

"Destination Port Unreachable" on that ping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭softdancomputer

Its this happening just on one PC, or on many?

All PCs in the office (that are connected to the net through that router)

A couple of the sites are on web8.hosting365.ie, a couple are on web3.hosting365.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Have you tried different browsers? Reason I ask is we have a similarly odd thing within our office using IE - if you google our company, any links to our website within google are un-clickable, in IE.... yes, literally, the links show up as links but they do nothing. Other links on the same google results page still work fine.

Not wanting to steal the thread but if anyone has any thoughts on that one, I'd love to hear them!

I just use Firefox. It's the only option that keeps me sane :)

Nope. If I can't even ping the site from the command line, then changing browser certainly won't help (I tried anyway, and it didn't work!)

• Advertisement

Its there any message when you try to load a site in browser?
    Did you try to type web8.hosting365.ie in address bar; its anything loading?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

i came across a similar issue yesterday. I flushed dns cache on the server and all PC's and re-registered and then set open dns as secondary dns server and all worked ok so im not sure which of the above steps actually resolved..

Its there any message when you try to load a site in browser?
    Did you try to type web8.hosting365.ie in address bar; its anything loading?

Same issue (can't ping either - destination port unreachable)
    corkcomp wrote: »
    i came across a similar issue yesterday. I flushed dns cache on the server and all PC's and re-registered and then set open dns as secondary dns server and all worked ok so im not sure which of the above steps actually resolved..

Tried releasing, flushing, renewing, changing to OpenDNS, nothing helped....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Mr E wrote: »
    Gets to step 10 on the tracert, and ends with this:

10 web8.hosting365.ie [82.195.146.32] reports: Destination protocol unreachable.
    That's with "tracert www.spinnakerpro.com'"? If yes, get back on to H365 and send them the trace because it's not an Eircom or DNS problem.

Do you have a static IP address from Eircom at the office? Maybe H365 poked holes in the server's firewall to allow your office IP address to access extra stuff but a misconfiguration is blocking normal service?

Mr E wrote: »
    Same issue (can't ping either - destination port unreachable)

Tried releasing, flushing, renewing, changing to OpenDNS, nothing helped....

Ping isnt necessary the best way of diagnose on the Internet, lots of sites block ICMP traffic.
    Try to go to the site via a proxy (anonymizer.com) and see if its working

Ping isnt necessary the best way of diagnose on the Internet, lots of sites block ICMP traffic.

Not in this case though.
    ping www.spinnakerpro.com
    PING www.spinnakerpro.com (82.195.146.32) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from web8.hosting365.ie (82.195.146.32): icmp_seq=1 ttl=54 time=33.3 ms

Advertisement