Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC won't give/sell me wireless modem router..

• 22-07-2010 11:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭

I got the 5mb line before with the Cisco modem (not router)
    Now I want the 30mb line so called them to upgrade and asked for the wireless router please.
    They said that only comes free for new customers (I'm only with them a couple of months..) but there was no budging them. So I said OK how much do they cost..€49.99 but we don't sell them!!

What a total joke!!, jeeze..so OK i understand that you won't give me a free one..but you won't sell me one either despite apparently having a cost for it?!!

UPC customer service...nothing ever changes....

Anyone have any recommendation for a cable modem wireless router?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Supercell wrote: »
    Anyone have any recommendation for a cable modem wireless router?

I heartily recommend the Linkysys WRTG54L/UK. You can even put other firmwares on it like tomato/dd-wrt and turn it into a €600 router :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You may be able to buy a cable modem, but it won't work unless UPC provision it's MAC address for you. They may or may not do that, though there was a poster here a week or so ago who got them to do it for him.

Any wireless router will work, as long as it's not a DSL modem too.

The Cisco combined cable modem & router that are very common these days, are crap. Getting your own router and plug it into the current cable modem, would be a better option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I heartily recommend the Linkysys WRTG54L/UK. You can even put other firmwares on it like tomato/dd-wrt and turn it into a €600 router :)

That makes sense, no need for the modem part i suppose and the inner nerd in me likes the idea of tinkering.

I'm gonna host a website i'm currently paying for hosting on which is too slow and i reckon the 3mb upload speed should be more than adequate for it. I assume I can use dyndns with that (although it seems you keep the same ip address unless the router is rebooted during a power loss, dyndns seems prudent).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

They only supply a G router aswell. You'd be better off with a N router.

How bad is the all in one cisco unit. I hate the cable table of having a separate modem.

BostonB wrote: »
    They only supply a G router aswell. You'd be better off with a N router.

How bad is the all in one cisco unit. I hate the cable table of having a separate modem.

I wish I bleedin knew!, the Cisco modem i have is just a modem with one Ethernet port, no wireless. I currently have it hooked up to a Watchguard Solo but thats not a switch (its bandwidth /ports number which is crapola) Not much use for the likes of XBMC for the telly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

I got the 5mb line before with the Cisco modem (not router)
    Now I want the 30mb line so called them to upgrade and asked for the wireless router please.
    They said that only comes free for new customers (I'm only with them a couple of months..) but there was no budging them. So I said OK how much do they cost..€49.99 but we don't sell them!!

My friend has been thru' the mill with them in a similar situation, except that it was a new installation and they gave him the wrong router as he'd asked for wireless. Basically support say it's a presales issue and sales say it's a support issue. Support are classic NTL style, and kept telling him that he should just go out and buy one himself. In the end he got a wireless access point off them - but given the effort and expense he would have probably been better just getting one himself, regardless of it being their mistake.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

Wish I you had come on about 2 wks ago and we could have swapped :)

To be honest - I wouldn't recommend the CISCO wireless router anyways.

However, I have one if you really want it though - just pay for postage. As mentioned you will need to get UPC to provision it. I had success when "downgrading" to a modem only - not sure if you will have success - maybe give the guys a call and explain a "friend" has one which was connected to UPC only 2wks ago - would they provision it if you got the MAC address to them...

I've a Dlink DIR-655. They now seem to have fixed most of the firmware issues and are reliable once more. It's great. Automatically links to dynamic DNS when it aquires the link, supports lots of connections, QoS functionality, etc..
    They can be picked up pretty cheaply these days - and mine is now 4yrs old and very reliable.

Media streaming around the house (XMBC) over wireless is ok on 11G if you don't have a lot of interference from other networks. Moving to N will help slightly, but as it's in the same frequency range as 11G you will have same problems unless you move to the 5GHz 11N which dual band routers support. However, if it's only 1 router your buying you will need to get one that is simulataneous dualband (some can only do 1) so you can hook in legacy wireless devices as well - these cost more.

Thanks RikD I did a little reading up and it seems TouchingVirus's recommendation is spot on.
    So I pulled the trigger and ordered one from Elara, hopefully should be able collect into my grubby little hands tomorrow to play with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes. Far better with your own router/WiFi than an integrated one as you can change it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'm gonna host a website i'm currently paying for hosting on which is too slow and i reckon the 3mb upload speed should be more than adequate for it. I assume I can use dyndns with that (although it seems you keep the same ip address unless the router is rebooted during a power loss, dyndns seems prudent).
    Check the contract; most if not all ISPs don't let you host anything short of using their company versions of access. Also that is not 3MB for you alone all the way out on the Internet; keep that in mind...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

That makes sense, no need for the modem part i suppose and the inner nerd in me likes the idea of tinkering.

I might even have one at home I could see you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Seriously BAD idea.
    For MANY reasons.

Investigate other hosting solutions.
    Hosting365, Blacknight, Digiweb

The hosting should be in country that most of your users/visitors are in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Think of their refusal as an act of kindness...that Cisco thing is utter rubbish.
    So you are far better off with a standalone router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

watty wrote: »
    Seriously BAD idea.
    For MANY reasons.

Investigate other hosting solutions.
    Hosting365, Blacknight, Digiweb

The hosting should be in country that most of your users/visitors are in.

Agreed. And hosting a website is against the UPC ToS as far as I am aware. They can generate massive bandwidth usage depending on the site.

Advertisement