Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can't get insurance quote on commercial jeep cos of my occupation

Options
  • 22-07-2010 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Does any body know of this? I am trying to get a quote on a commercial jeep & because of the occupation I'm down as & the age of the vehicle despite having a current D.O.E. certificate they won't quote me & I already have a policy on a private car. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

what's your occupation?
    Is it something you'll never actually need a jeep for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

what's your occupation?
    Is it something you'll never actually need a jeep for?

Why would your occupation make a difference?

You could be using it to transport your rubbish to the dump, once you don't carry any passengers in the back I can see no reason for you not getting a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

i thought that because motor insursnce is compulsory, you must always be provided with a quote, even if it is way too expensive. could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

funkyjebus wrote: »
    i thought that because motor insursnce is compulsory, you must always be provided with a quote, even if it is way too expensive. could be wrong
    AFAIK if five companies refuse you then you're entitled to a quote from one of them. I'd just try elsewhere though - if they don't want to quote then the premium will likely be sky-high.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

celticbest wrote: »
    Why would your occupation make a difference?

You could be using it to transport your rubbish to the dump, once you don't carry any passengers in the back I can see no reason for you not getting a quote.

I'm just being nosy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sirrah

My occupation is down as a"Parts Manager" & they aren't willing to quote for people in the motor trade & the jeep is 1989 so they say age is a factor. My argument with the broker was that it is for private use towing trailer e.g. collecting turf from the bog, doing clean ups from gardens etc. Not for motor trade use, even if it was is any of they're business once they've been paid they're premium. Also what's the point of testing the jeep & getting a cert for road worthyness if they won't insure it? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

sirrah wrote: »
    My occupation is down as a"Parts Manager" & they aren't willing to quote for people in the motor trade & the jeep is 1989 so they say age is a factor. My argument with the broker was that it is for private use towing trailer e.g. collecting turf from the bog, doing clean ups from gardens etc. Not for motor trade use, even if it was is any of they're business once they've been paid they're premium. Also what's the point of testing the jeep & getting a cert for road worthyness if they won't insure it? :mad:

If its for private use dont you have to get private and not commercial insurance?

draffodx wrote: »
    If its for private use dont you have to get private and not commercial insurance?

Yes it's a private policy I'm looking for as I'm not in business

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Just look for a private policy for a commercial vehicle. My insurance was 400 euro on a Hilux Surf.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Can you not apply to another company and put your occupation down as 'office / warehouse manager' which technically would be true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

put down warehouse employee not really a lie and it has no loading

put down warehouse employee not really a lie and it has no loading

Sounds good who did you get that quote with what year is the Hilux Surf? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

I'm pretty sure its the age of the vehicle that is the main problem, not many IC's will insure vehicles over 15yrs old. If your occupation has to do with the motor trade there will be a loading with most IC's also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Quinn will not cover anyone on a commercial policy if they are in the motor trade.

It is a disgrace and I had the same argument with them myself

Just look for a private policy for a commercial vehicle. My insurance was 400 euro on a Hilux Surf.

Cmar who was that with? Sounds good what year is the Hilux is it pass or comm? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

did you try this company?

http://www.setantainsurance.com/

through a broker ?

Tried companies & brokers frazzled @ this stage, going on the attack again on Monday I'm not beat down yet :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

first ireland insurance and quoteme.ie if you havent tried them you could put them on your list ,they are both brokers and as always with insurance in this country for some reason it is always easier and less hassle to phone

FBD - they sorted me out with Commercial Insurance in five minutes (Hilux Mk3 1995). Excellent service

Advertisement