Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Campagnolo 10sp chain tool

• 22-07-2010 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Looking to fit a 10 speed campy chain, does anyone have the tool for it that I could borrow? (Or have one for sale if they've moved to 11 speed)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bbosco

D!armu!d wrote: »
    Looking to fit a 10 speed campy chain, does anyone have the tool for it that I could borrow? (Or have one for sale if they've moved to 11 speed)

Cheers

FWIW it's worth I've used a standard Topeak chain tool on Campy 10s chains for years with no issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

You must be confusing it with the 11 speed tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭D!armu!d

So a regular chain tool works fine with the 10 speed? Going by all the instructions that came with it they seemed to be saying you had to use their tool

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Standard 9/10 speed chain tools work fine and are quite cheap. 11 speed is the only one that needs the Campagnolo's own tool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

el tonto wrote: »
    11 speed is the only one that needs the Campagnolo's own tool.

Not any more.

There may be others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Lumen wrote: »
    Not any more.

There may be others.

Too soon!
    Have tried it on an 11-speed chain and it doesn't work. It can remove a pin but can't push the long Campag coupling pin through without displacing the outer link plate. It also won't let you push against the new pin to deform and seal it on the outside as it doesn't have a 'closed' position like the Campag tool. Sadly, it can't replace the expensive Campag tool.

Read more: http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/forum/forummessages.asp?URN=15&UTN=118368&chklast=1#ixzz0uPL6OFqS

I hope that guy is wrong though, I'm not willing to test it and see though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

How about the Park one?

"The CT-4.2 will work with “hour-glass” shaped 8, 9, 10 and 11 speed chains"

(sorry, this is off-topic for 10 speed)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Never had to use a specific chain tool using a 10 speed Campy chain myself but then I've been using splitting links since day one and never joined the chain using their niggly little joining pins.

As for 11 speed - any 10 speed chain tool and then this FTW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

The Park Tool chain tools, those rated for 10-speeds, should work fine for Campag 10-speed chains. The CT-4.2 is the latest Park chain tool, which handles 11-speed too, but the much older CT-3 is rated for 10-speeds. The hollow pins on the new 11-speed chains require a different process, and therefore a different tool, when re-joining the chain, plus Campag talk about having to deal with much tighter tolerances too with the new chains and claim that this requires their finer 11-speed chaintool.

Incidentally, the Park CT-4.2 can split an 11-speed Campag chain, and can push in the new pin when rejoining, but it can't peen the new pin so to complete the re-joining of the chain you need the CT-11 which does nothing other than peen the new pin. The combined cost of the CT-4.2 plus the CT-11 is very close to the cost of a new Campag 11-speed chain tool. Not properly peening the new pin dramatically increases the risk of the chain breaking in use, so for an 11-speed chain I certainly am willing to pay for the right tool(s) for the job it is cheaper than paying someone later to scrape me off the road following an avoidable spill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

11 speed sounds like a world of fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

blorg wrote: »
    11 speed sounds like a world of fun.

It sure does - especially at ~140 GBP for the chain tool.

I like 11-speed. I made the jump from 9-speed so it now seems like I have a bucket load of gears to choose from. Not great if you suffer from choice anxiety though!

The chaintool is certainly expensive, so is something to bear in mind when budgeting if you prefer to do your own bike maintenance. I can live with that though, as I don't mind investing in good tools (assuming it proves to be good). What is harder to take though is that Campag say that you can split and re-join an 11-speed chain a maximum of 2 times (which I read as 2 times after the chain is first joined) - any more than that and they will not stand over the reliability of the chain. I can only assume that the new hollow pins fitted each time the chain is re-joined are not considered as secure/reliable as those installed at the factory. So these chains will not suit someone who likes to swap between different rear cassettes and using a dedicated chain for each.

To be honest even 10 speed goes out of whack much easier than 9 speed in my experience. 9 speed I think was optimal, enough gears and reliable.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

doozerie wrote: »
    The chaintool is certainly expensive, so is something to bear in mind when budgeting if you prefer to do your own bike maintenance...

Or just do what everyone else on Boards does, borrow mine.

Now you tell me! Wanna buy a new unused one to replace your one which must be worn out by now? You could start a chaintool farm and make a nice profit when they breed. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bbosco

blorg wrote: »
    To be honest even 10 speed goes out of whack much easier than 9 speed in my experience. 9 speed I think was optimal, enough gears and reliable.

Bah, bet you have only 3 blades on your razor too :p

Sorry, this is getting even further off-topic, but as regards the reliability of 11-speed I have had no problems whatsoever with mine so far. I've only been using it for a few months and haven't clocked up much mileage yet so it's obviously far too early to pass judgement on how it'll perform in the long run but so far I have been very impressed. It changes smoothly and cleanly, even under load, and despite my efforts I haven't even been able to get the chain even close to falling off the inside of the inner chainring (which I have seen some people describe as a problem they encountered occasionally).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Been running 11 speed with that lickbike splitting link since the Spring and zero problems in gearing terms (short of difficulty in finding a 11-25 cassette online for reasonable money). After seeing Shlecks chain 'issue' I am happy that I'm running a chain catcher just in case though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭Al Wright

My bike is fitted with Campag 10 speed, I split the chain with a standard chain tool. The pins appear to be tighter than the normal 8 speed chains. I rejoin the chain using KMC split link, they are available from Chain Reaction Cycles if LBS don't have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

penexpers wrote: »
    It sure does - especially at ~140 GBP for the chain tool.
    I've seen it at c. €120 locally

Campy want you to buy their tool, thats why they say to use it. The Campy tools are the best by a long shot though. The pin lasts years in workshop use, a lifetime at home. For 10s use the tool you have if its decent

• Advertisement

I've seen it at c. €120 locally
    Well there's a bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

Still pricey:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Thats what you get for being the campagnolo groupie

abcdggs wrote: »
    Thats what you get for being the campagnolo groupie

I'm the Campagnolo Maven. The tool borrowers are the groupies. ;)

Advertisement