Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Wire a Circuit Breaker??

Options
  • 22-07-2010 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hey,

I need to wire up an element which has about a 12A draw, but I need to understand a bit more about circuit breakers first....

In the pic attached, would I be right in thinking that the 'C16' indicates that it is a 16A circuit breaker and that the 240/415V means it can run off either 240 or 415V? Do any of the other markings mean anything significant?

I'll be wiring up the element to run off standard Irish Voltage (230/240 I think), so I think I need a 2 pole circuit breaker....... I already have 3 or 4 of the MCB's from the pic, if I put two of them side by side (& tie the switches together) and run the live through one of them and the neutral through the other does this mean it will work as a 16A double pole circuit breaker??

Thanks for any help

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Phil%200879704202/Desktop/Circuit%20Breaker.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Phil%200879704202/Desktop/Circuit%20Breaker.jpg[/IMG]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You need to be posting in this forum, I believe:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1018

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Moved here from Home Entertainment DIY - hope one of you good people can give the OP "safety checked" advice..... :)

Thanks,

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

Seriously, if you have to ask about tying them together, i think you'd better keep away from it and let a pro do it for you.

I'm not being smart but seriously.....tying 2 breakers together???????????

What leads you to believe that you need double pole breakers anyway?

The "C" on the breaker is to do with it's tripping characteristics etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 philhway

Your advice to get an electrician is probably what i'll do in the end to be honest... always like to have a good understanding of what i'm asking for before I get one though! I thought if I was wiring a on a 240V circuit that i'd need 2 poles?

Text from ehow.com below

For those appliances that require 240-volts, two power legs are connected to them, each with 120-volts, but that are in opposite phase. The voltage from either leg to the neutral line is 120 volts, but across the two "hot" legs is 240 volts, which is double the 120-volt supply. To safely protect 240-volt appliances, a circuit breaker must be connected to each of the 120-volt legs. "Double pole" circuit breakers are used in this case, which consist of two single circuit breakers whose trip handles are physically tied together. That way, if either "hot" leg draws too much current, both breakers will trip simultaneously, effectively stopping all voltage to the appliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

That ehow text is relevant to thge US where they use 120V.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

philhway wrote: »
    Your advice to get an electrician is probably what i'll do in the end to be honest... always like to have a good understanding of what i'm asking for before I get one though! I thought if I was wiring a on a 240V circuit that i'd need 2 poles?

Text from ehow.com below

For those appliances that require 240-volts, two power legs are connected to them, each with 120-volts, but that are in opposite phase. The voltage from either leg to the neutral line is 120 volts, but across the two "hot" legs is 240 volts, which is double the 120-volt supply. To safely protect 240-volt appliances, a circuit breaker must be connected to each of the 120-volt legs. "Double pole" circuit breakers are used in this case, which consist of two single circuit breakers whose trip handles are physically tied together. That way, if either "hot" leg draws too much current, both breakers will trip simultaneously, effectively stopping all voltage to the appliance.

That sounds to me like he is talking about where there is a centre tapped earth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

'split -phase 'secondary winding

it can be either the reduced low-voltage we use here on sites(CTE)

or the 2 hot legs and neutral they use in USA for 120/240

anyway you got the correct rating of mcb OP- but you don't need the C type(usually) or 2-pole mcb

get a sparkie

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

get a sparkie
    My thoughts exactly. The questions being asked shown that the OP does not have enough knowledge to carry out this task in a safe manner.

No offense intended. The consequences of getting this wrong can be quite serious.

Advertisement