Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3's data coverage down when on 2G?

Options
  • 22-07-2010 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed they cannot pick up data coverage when on the 2G band with 3 IRL?

Its like that for about a week for me now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It seems they may have stopped it, I just keep getting the splash page for the last week saying i've run out of credit but i'm on bill pay with the 1GB add on. I've a feeling they've blocked it working on all phones except blackberry with the blackberry add on.

Haven't called customer care yet but I can guess what there going to say, data only works on the 3G network.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭mooneyd

Because 3 only have a 3g network and you roam onto vodafone when on 2g service you do not recieve data coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Yeah, I've never been able to get data when i'm not on a 3g network... which means i can't be on skype when i'm at certain points of my bus journey, but no problems when i'm roaming in London! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

mooneyd wrote: »
    Because 3 only have a 3g network and you roam onto vodafone when on 2g service you do not recieve data coverage

Thats not true. I have been with 3 almost 4 years and used to lock my phone to 2G as its easier on battery and always had data coverage. Even the phone indicated I was roaming (also I have data roaming enabled) I never had data coverage problems on 2G up till last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Celestial Deity

Thats not true. I have been with 3 almost 4 years and used to lock my phone to 2G as its easier on battery and always had data coverage. Even the phone indicated I was roaming (also I have data roaming enabled) I never had data coverage problems on 2G up till last week.
    You must be mistaken.

Three decided to use 3G from the start, which means they have terrific 3G coverage. However, they don't have coverage everywhere so they signed an agreement with Vodafone to use their 2G network for voice and text, but no data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

3 do have data coverage when roaming on 2g. I have used it a lot. It's been a bit dodgy the past week tho. Sometimes it has worked, other times it hasn't.
    It used to be the case that 2g data would only work when your apn was set to 3ireland.ie and not when it was set to 3internet but it s been temperamental this week, dunno what's up but its a bit annoying...

You must be mistaken.

Three decided to use 3G from the start, which means they have terrific 3G coverage. However, they don't have coverage everywhere so they signed an agreement with Vodafone to use their 2G network for voice and text, but no data.
    I'm not mistaken, I have been using 2G on 3 for a long time now as have other users here.

I'm not mistaken, I have been using 2G on 3 for a long time now as have other users here.

Can you still use it? Have you done today?

No hasn't worked since some time last week.

Same as, think I need the blackberry add on for my iphone:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Can you still use it? Have you done today?

I'm posting this using 2g only. If you cannot read this post then it doesn't work.

However I might be superstitious but it seems to be fickle during the changeover if the data confection is online.

Three trick that seems to work though is to go to my3 first before browsing to another page. That always lets me surf normally after.

After roaming in the north it sometimes will not let me or past the my3 site unless I go to airplane mode first even if I have a 3g connection

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭LightHugger

Anybody know if theres a solution to this problem?

To recap, I'm a bill pay customer, well inside my monthly data allowance, but when I roam out of the 3g area, if I try to browse the web I get redirected to the three out-of-credit page. I've been with three for years, and this problem only started happening :mad:a few weeks ago.

BTW my phone is a htc desire.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

You need to contract three customer care and get them to fix up your profile. I'm using a desire too on billpay with flawless switching between 3g and 2g data.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭LightHugger

Just spoke to a Three tech support guy about this. Initially he said that it was a problem with my particular model of phone (HTC Desire). I pointed out that this didn't make sense because A) the "out of credit" page was being displayed (thus proving that the phone could receive 2G data) and B) I knew another Three customer with a HTC Desire who could browse the web in a 2G area.

He then went off and made some further enquiries and came back with another story. You see I'm a bit old fashioned. I like to keep my expenditure down to reasonable levels. So I'm only paying €29 a month to Three (the old 150 Flexiunit plan). The guy from Three said that you need to be on one of the smartphone plans before they allow you to get data in the 2G area. (The cheapest one of these is €40.) He said there was nothing more he could do for me, because of the plan I'm currently on.

Methinks I won't be paying an extra €130 a year for the privilege of getting data in the 2G area.

I'd be interested to hear what Three have told other people who have had this problem. In the (no doubt unlikely) event that different agents are telling different stories. ;)

Advertisement