Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frank Fahey, what an embarrassment

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

mike kelly wrote: »
    and what exactly has he done?

Actually he has done great work at the local level in roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

skelliser wrote: »
    Actually he has done great work at the local level in roscommon.

example?

example?

Well not being from Roscommon i cant give specifics, but the record of being elected twice to the council, topping the poll in 2004 and also being elected Mayor of Roscommon must mean he has done some good work.

I do hear he is really approachable and doesnt favour any party lines. Big time involvement in the Roscommon hospital action committee. Also i know he did object to alot of crazy rezoning attempts and suceeded in getting a few overturned even tho the tide was against him.

Well not being from Roscommon i cant give specifics, but the record of being elected twice to the council, topping the poll in 2004 and also being elected Mayor of Roscommon must mean he has done some good work.

by that logic, Frank Fahey is a great man. Anyway, let's get back on topic here

• Advertisement

Fahey on the last occasion was only elected on the 13th count.
    Also i dont think he ever topped any poll, so your logic is incorrect!

But back on topic.

I reckon Derek Nolan will run with Michael D. If they both get in Michael d will then go for the aras.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,588 ✭✭✭✭kippy

so the question, which TDs should the people of Galway west return after the next election? Despite all the anger that's out there, I'm not confident that we'll really see much change.

We should be crying out for change.
    I've started writing to government ministers who I believe have made absolutely cack handed decisions and CC'ing all of the local TD's that claim to represent me.
    Email number 1 was this weekend to Eoin Ryan over the absolutely shambolic decision to increase electricity prices. One of the local TD's has replied to me on this.
    Email number 2 was to Noel Dempsey over his trip to Donegal. The gist of the email was that I wanted to see less politicians in the country in general and a more streamlined approach to politics. A more streamlined approach would be like turkeys voting for christmas.

The politics in this country will change when the voters demand it and chose not to accept what is going on. Politicians will bend over backwards at times to do all those small "favours" for tom dick and harry, if the voter asks for something that isnt the usual and enough of them do it, politics will change, however the appetitie has to be with the voter to force this to happen.

The result of the last election saw Fahey elected on the 13th count with 8,139 votes. The qouta was 9,183.
    Crowe got 7,159 , some 900 less then Fahey. Fahey is in serious trouble.
    http://electionsireland.org/result.cfm?election=2007&cons=129

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Change will only come about when voters start to think on a national not local level when voting for their TDs.
    In the UK voting is done mainly along party lines, in other words which party you think will do the best job governing the country, unlike here where it is done on a parochial basis (who got our planning permission done, is so-and-so's grandson etc) so what you basically have here are a bunch of local Councillors who are running the country not good politicians

Sorry had the wrong figues, 1st pref. instead of final tallies.
    Complete count is here
    http://electionsireland.org/counts.cfm?election=2007&cons=129&ref=

• Advertisement

Sorry had the wrong figues, 1st pref. instead of final tallies.
    Complete count is here
    http://electionsireland.org/counts.cfm?election=2007&cons=129&ref=

out of that list I don't see anyone who represents real change...are there any potential new candidates on the horizon?

55,000 votes out of an electorate of 86,000 is hardly encouraging either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

so the question, which TDs should the people of Galway west return after the next election? Despite all the anger that's out there, I'm not confident that we'll really see much change.

If you're not confident, why not try and change it and join with a political party or canvass?

If you want to see real change I suppose any SF candidate (won't happen though), Catherine Connolly(very impressive politician and person), Michael D Higgins( is a bit hit and miss at times and if he's FG lead in government, he'll keep quiet), don't know much about the younger lad in Labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭forumfiend

kippy wrote: »
    We should be crying out for change.
    Email number 1 was this weekend to Eoin Ryan over the absolutely shambolic decision to increase electricity prices. One of the local TD's has replied to me on this.

You'd have been better off sending it to Eamon Ryan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

and what exactly has he done?

THE NEWLY elected Mayor of Roscommon County Council Cllr Luke ‘Ming’ Flanagan got his first official meeting as mayor off to a controversial start on Monday when a war of words broke out over recitation of a prayer!

Prior to every monthly meeting of the county council, the mayor typically leads members in a short prayer before the meeting commences.

A the July meeting of the council on Monday the ever controversial ‘Ming’ declined to say the prayer and instead asked the Meetings Administrator Fiona Ni Chuinn, to do the honours.

“I’m an Agnostic and I have to believe in what I say, I won’t be a hypocrite,” said Cllr Flanagan.

The mayor said that he had asked the meetings administrator to say the prayer as she believed in what she was saying.

The mayor’s stance on the prayer resulted in a heated debate with Cllr Tom Crosby proposing that Cllr Flanagan vacate the chair and allow the Vice-Chairman, Cllr Ernie Keenan, to lead councillors in the prayer. “You have to respect a tradition which has gone on for 111 years,” fumed Cllr Crosby.

Cllrs Valerie Byrne and Paula McNamara came to the defence of Mayor Flanagan, their alliance colleague, with Cllr Byrne saying: “Every person is entitled to their religious beliefs. He didn’t say that the prayer could not be said...............................................

http://www.roscommonherald.ie/news/story/?trs=kfauqlkfmh&cat=news

• Registered Users Posts: 18,588 ✭✭✭✭kippy

forumfiend wrote: »
    You'd have been better off sending it to Eamon Ryan :D
    Mike Kelly,
    I already outlined how to influence the current set of politicians in this country........(outside of brown envelopes)
    If enough people ask for the right stuff to be fucused on that is what they are going to have to do.
    Saying "the other shower" are no better doesnt work - we may as well all get out of the country if that is the case.
    Forumfiend, yep thats who I sent it do......I think if more people who posted on here made their feelings know to their elected representatives we would have a good starting point......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

THE NEWLY elected Mayor of Roscommon County Council Cllr Luke ‘Ming’ Flanagan got his first official meeting as mayor off to a controversial start on Monday when a war of words broke out over recitation of a prayer!

Prior to every monthly meeting of the county council, the mayor typically leads members in a short prayer before the meeting commences.

A the July meeting of the council on Monday the ever controversial ‘Ming’ declined to say the prayer and instead asked the Meetings Administrator Fiona Ni Chuinn, to do the honours.

“I’m an Agnostic and I have to believe in what I say, I won’t be a hypocrite,” said Cllr Flanagan.

The mayor said that he had asked the meetings administrator to say the prayer as she believed in what she was saying.

The mayor’s stance on the prayer resulted in a heated debate with Cllr Tom Crosby proposing that Cllr Flanagan vacate the chair and allow the Vice-Chairman, Cllr Ernie Keenan, to lead councillors in the prayer. “You have to respect a tradition which has gone on for 111 years,” fumed Cllr Crosby.

Cllrs Valerie Byrne and Paula McNamara came to the defence of Mayor Flanagan, their alliance colleague, with Cllr Byrne saying: “Every person is entitled to their religious beliefs. He didn’t say that the prayer could not be said...............................................

This shows up what idiots are in the councils, Ming was dead right.

This crosby <snip> should be asked about the tradition of female genital mutilation, I'm sure he wouldn't mind putting that aside if he moved to Nigeria

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭galwayfellaBETA

Dear [insert your chosen deity here], I haven't felt so down hearted for this country in a while. Is this what we are paying them for?

As for prayers on taxpayers time..... so for 111 years we have paid for a room full of people to listen to a little prayer before business..... no wonder this country is as Fu@ked as it is.

Cllr Tom Crosby - you are a <snip> of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭forumfiend

kippy wrote: »
    Forumfiend, yep thats who I sent it do......I think if more people who posted on here made their feelings know to their elected representatives we would have a good starting point......

The only dealings I've ever had with a politician left me very frustrated. It was about a planning application I was objecting to, and every utterance from him began with "you may remember, I called for such and such" or "I am on the record as saying such and such" but he was only interested if there was a whole residents association involved, couldn't give a toss about an individual.

From that experience and what I see in the local media, they are almost all gob****es and Frank Fahey is exhibit A. They make a big deal about how hard they work when in reality they are doing f**k all. The majority of them are lazy, two-faced, self-interested, disorganized cute hoors who are inattentive to detail and unable to understand half of what they are talking about. If that post from Roscommon is anything to go by, it's the same there too. Fair play to Ming, nobody took him seriously when he was in Galway but if he ran again he would get my #1 for sure.

Kippy, you make a fair point about making your feelings known and I am going to take up your challenge and write a few letters myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Please refrain from calling politicians bad words.
    If you cannot get your point across with resorting to abuse then don't post.

This thread is about Franks policies, if you need to discuss other politicians the Politics forum is available.

• Advertisement
Advertisement