Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property recession? someone should tell this guy..

Options

Comments

• syklops wrote: »
    Thats the scary thing. Thats why everything is so expensive in Ireland. The first law of Economics: Something is worth whatever someone else is willing to pay for it. And unfortunately, there are lots of people who are willing to part with large sums of money for holes like that. As a result of people paying 500 a month for dives like that, people with 'nicer' places say to themselves, "Well if Billy can get 500 a month for the worst flat in history, then I should be able to get 700 a month for my flat which was runner up in the worst places to live competition". Then someone with a genuinely decent place to let thinks he/she will get a grand for their small 1 bedroom flat in Drimnagh or Crumlin.

It's a vicious circle though - once people start paying 700 euro for a room, that becomes the standard price and you're forced to pay it. I always knew rent in Dublin was ridiculous, but there wasn't a lot I could do about it. If I refused to pay what they were asking, they'd just get someone else in, no hassle. Some of the places linked on here, I'd have been delighted to get for 500e a few years ago. At the time you'd be lucky to get a single room in a nice house/area for that. 500e for your own kitchen with full cooker and dining table would have seemed too good to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Daft is right

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

how bleak must the bathroom be to not include a picture? someone get a photo of it off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Between this thread, Tom O'C and the rocky bars I truly believe we're living in a golden age of AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

the rent for ****holes like these were at 8/900 yoyo's per month until 2 years ago.
    Blame the landlord and all the money he has raised exploiting some f***ing stupid student/professional

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Blackpitts wrote: »
    exploiting some f***ing stupid student/professional

If someone ends up paying too much for a crap apartment then it is their fault and nobody else's. Anyone letting their place will obviously take the highest offer.

EDIT: I think they're the most horrible armchairs I've ever seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

It looks like the ceiling light fittings are new, probably because the last tennant broke them as he/she swung from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

from the sublime to the ridiculous....

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=909778

€9000 a month.

Now, this house is stunning, but 9k a month? Who the hell would have 9k a month to put into a rental property?

You've inspired me to search for the most expensive rental on daft. There's two at €15,000 PM.

This which might be a joke becasue there's no pictures of the house itself, but why would anyone pay €22 to put up a fake ad?

And this (unfurnished!!!) Georgian house in Ballsbridge. Amazing kitchen.

EDIT: And the cheapest is this box in Omagh at €72 PM, but at least it's better than the OP property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

€9000 a month.

Now, this house is stunning, but 9k a month? Who the hell would have 9k a month to put into a rental property?

Gym and sauna :eek:
    But yeah - even if couples were in every room it would be over 1k each

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

€9000 a month.

Somebody's obviously trying to pay at least two mortgages if they're angling for 9k rent a month...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

€9000 a month.

And what did it cost to buy if they think its rental value is 100k a year?

I emailed billy yesterday btw to see if he'd take 420 but he hasn't gotten back to me yet, I fail at trolling. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

eightyfish wrote: »
    You've inspired me to search for the most expensive rental on daft. There's two at €15,000 PM.

This which might be a joke becasue there's no pictures of the house itself, but why would anyone pay €22 to put up a fake ad?

EDIT: And the cheapest is this box in Omagh at €72 PM, but at least it's better than the OP property.

Rofl
    such a joke
    There was a castle up for rent at one point?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

I thought this crap would have died with the Celtic tiger. obviously not. they don't even show the house, they are making the selling point the road it's located on. 15k a month to live on Ailesbury road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

At €6,500 a month, I wouldn't mind living here. I'd have to do a fair bit of illegal sub-letting for the other 6 bedrooms though!

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=926668

15k a month to live on Ailesbury road.

I think you could rent the whole street with a hotel in Monopoly for less than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

The 2nd one is unreal!

The 3rd one is way nicer than the OP (still a hell-hole though, but compared to the OP it's like a palace) - It'd nearly be worth paying the train fares up and back to Dublin every day - you'd still be paying out less, and have a (slightly) better gaff than the one in the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Oh my god.

I'm crying here. These repsonses are getting funnier and funnier and I'm only on the 18th post. Excellent all round thus far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Fcuck knows how many "properties" billy has on the go..probably not all of them are as modern as this one too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭mojesius

And what did it cost to buy if they think its rental value is 100k a year?

I emailed billy yesterday btw to see if he'd take 420 but he hasn't gotten back to me yet, I fail at trolling. :(

Fear not, he's probably too busy nailing up teeny tiny pictures on his self-constructed walls to reply. :)

He'll probably look at this thread from his vortex of delusion and think it's great publicity for his 'flat'.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

If anyone does get a viewing, we could get a large group together and all go at the same time. Would be funny to see how many people you can pack into the room :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

mojesius wrote: »
    Fear not, he's probably too busy nailing up teeny tiny pictures on his self-constructed walls to reply. :)

He'll probably look at this thread from his vortex of delusion and think it's great publicity for his 'flat'.

Are the tiny pictures intended to create a false sense of spaciousness? Clever ol' billy!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Paulyh wrote: »
    If anyone does get a viewing, we could get a large group together and all go at the same time. Would be funny to see how many people you can pack into the room :D

You'd fit more in a chest of drawers tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭mashling

How about this one - €475 a month to sleep in a cage over the bathroom :/

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=858777

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭mojesius

mashling wrote: »

F*ckin hell! Imagine trying to climb up that thing after a few drinks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Paulyh wrote: »

This has to happen.

The original viewer says he's bringing along 'a friend' to help him, and we all arrive in dribs and drabs. Watch Billy progressively unravel...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

They are all for corporate letting.. I did some work for a guy who was moved over here from London to setup a company for a group he worked for.

They were paying for his house and all expenses, kids schooling, 2 company cars and all expenses, one for him and one for his wife and relocation fees.

The rent on the house alone was over €5.5k a month, a 5 bed in Foxrock.. add in the bills for utilities, cars and running expense, schools etc, I reckon he was getting close to 120k a year in "extras" on top of his salary and benefits.. which I'm sure were substantial too..

I remember reading an article on a guy who is involved in the running of Eircom but works for Babcock and Brown had a corporate pad costing €15k a month and he only spent 6 months a year using it.. such a waste :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭George Orwell 1982

mashling wrote: »

WTF? :eek:

Rents in Dublin are still ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

That really is some sh1thole alright. Billy will be lucky if he gets 50 a month for that dump, never mind 500.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement