Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking the plunge-no regrets?

Options
  • 22-07-2010 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi, Im fairly new but I thinks boards members are much more generous with their advice than on alot of other forums dedicated to the arts so here goes! I have been acting for a good few years now but not completely full time though I have professional training. I am in my early 30's and I am at the point now where I feel it is make or break time for me as to where my passions lie.

Basically all I have ever really wanted to do was act, I have been in a good few shows, a couple of professional, semi professional and the amatuer route also. I have been in shows that attracted reviews but not shows that attracted an agent! (I dont have an agent.)
    I was wondering whether I am mad to even consider going full time without an agent?(this involves leaving a job where I earn decent money) what is the "secret" of getting agents to a show?

What to most actors do to pay the bills when they dont have work?
    I would be interested to hear how people get by financially, really just their experiences and advice as full time actors. Also as I know I would be competing with lots of sprightly 20 year olds! Am i too long in the tooth to consider this? I have seen my parents live with deep regret and I fear if I dont start being honest with myself I will end up the same. Thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭X-Calibre

Hi ladymuck. Your situation isn't far off myself although you're a bit older than me.

I've been acting part time for about 2 years (training and doing amateur/profit share shows). I'm 23 and I quit my full time job there a few months ago to pursue acting further. I had always said that as soon as the job got in the way of something acting related I would quit it. My reason for quitting was because I got a part in a play that would be rehearsing full time for a month and then running for a couple of months.

The show is only profit share and although it's doing very well, it's not enough to pay the bills. So luckily enough I just recently got a part time job in a call centre that allows me to pick my own hours. I haven't got an agent myself (work in progress!) but I signed up to fishpond.ie a few weeks ago and it got me my first commercial audition after a few days.

So my advice to you would be to definitely pursue acting further, there's no point in sitting back in 20 years time and regretting not trying. However I would try and have something acting related lined up before you do. There's no point in quitting your job and then sitting around all day doing nothing. Try and audition for things in between work if possible and then maybe think about quitting if you manage to get a part in something that requires you to quit work. I would also suggest trying to find a part time job or some other way of getting some money in before you quit your job.

All the best in whatever you decide to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Iompair

I have been in shows that attracted reviews but not shows that attracted an agent! (I dont have an agent.)

I was wondering whether I am mad to even consider going full time without an agent?(this involves leaving a job where I earn decent money) what is the "secret" of getting agents to a show?

The secret to getting an agent is contacting one and telling them you're looking for work and will be appearing in this show on whatever date. Have a CV and some headshots, a phone call is better then an email.

Contrary to popular belief agents rarely go out to random shows "scouting" talent, 99% of the time its up to you (the performer) to make the first move.

So be confident and the best of luck in your new career.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

If you are serious, you need an agent. Also, develop a portfolio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I've gotten more work over the age of 30 than under. I subsidise it by being a coach, facepainter/makeup artist (this came out of being an arts facilitator), I do role play and workshops.

I know of one actress who made the career change at 58, went to drama school full time, graduated at 60 and has been working solidly since.

I'm not saying it's easy, but the aformentioned 60 yr old actor realised it was her hearts desire all her life and she no longer had to prove anything to her parents (er.. they were dead). Best thing she ever did.

I'm not saying it's easy, but if it's a big part of you it's worth a shot, life is always changing so it's not like a pact with the devil or anything.

On the agent front, nice to have one, but Bill Murray doesn't:rolleyes:

Advertisement