Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judge Dredd Movie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Apparently the BBFC has slapped an 18 on it.

Nice one. The last time they slapped an 18 on
    a comic book film was with WATCHMEN.

And what a gem that turned out to be.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Apparently the BBFC has slapped an 18 on it.

Nice one. The last time they slapped an 18 on
    a comic book film was with WATCHMEN.

And what a gem that turned out to be.

:cool:
    Probably all the drug use , they are very strict about drug use.

And ultraviolence that too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Saw the trailer. Looks trash. A cheap rip off of The Raid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Memnoch wrote: »

:rolleyes: Except Dredd was written and filmed before The Raid and cost a lot more

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wrong, it's nothing of the sort: Dredd first began filming in late 2010, with the script history dating back to 2008. The Raid didn't start filming until 2011. Dredd was stuck in pre-production purgatory for quite a while, and it's just a pity that it finally comes out while the memories are still fresh of a similar action film. You may not like the look of it, but it ain't a rip-off by any means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

trustno1 wrote: »
    A.B.C. Warriors for me please!.. followed by Slaine and THEN followed by Rouge Trooper.. I would also be on for a decent Judge Dredd once it features Judge Death and Co..

Would like to see "Strontium Dog" on TV or the big screen...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

pixelburp wrote: »
    Wrong, it's nothing of the sort: Dredd first began filming in late 2010, with the script history dating back to 2008. The Raid didn't start filming until 2011. Dredd was stuck in pre-production purgatory for quite a while, and it's just a pity that it finally comes out while the memories are still fresh of a similar action film. You may not like the look of it, but it ain't a rip-off by any means.

And the script was the same was it? It hasn't been rewritten?
    Is it really just a coincidence that a drug king pin runs a towerblock that the hero has to attack and the only way is up. The king pin announces how there are 'lawmen,' in the building and the residents should kill them. Even one of the opening scenes from the raid with the three guys that get wacked by the main baddie at the start to establish how evil and psychotic he is seems to be replicated in the dredd trailer I saw. Yeah, I don't think this is a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Is it really just a coincidence that a drug king pin runs a towerblock that the hero has to attack and the only way is up. The king pin announces how there are 'lawmen,' in the building and the residents should kill them. Even one of the opening scenes from the raid with the three guys that get wacked by the main baddie at the start to establish how evil and psychotic he is seems to be replicated in the dredd trailer I saw. Yeah, I don't think this is a coincidence.
    Dredd started filming in November 2010.
    Dredd has always had massive city blocks in the Mega Cities and has fought through them on occasions (plus its an easy way to keep the budget down since sets can be kept relatively small and be re used)

Its a coincidence no matter what conspiracy theories you have

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Icarus Wings

Would like to see "Strontium Dog" on TV or the big screen...

A classic 2000AD character! :D

If another 2000AD strip was converted to the big screen, I'd say it's likely to be Rogue Trooper. There were around two videogames released a few years back and he's definitely one of the most popular characters alongside Dredd.

Personally, I'd love to see ABC warriors...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well I should hope the scripts went through drafts because films made on the first go tend to be pretty godawful. Believe what you want, the facts are there if you care to look 'em up; Dredd was in the melting pot from 2008-2010, I believe funding was a big stumbling block in production. And even if there was a conspiracy, the idea that having already started filming in '10 the Dredd filmmakers would then deliberately rewrite a script to match another plot from a film that had only just started shooting - a film that they likely knew nothing about (by all account The Raid kinda came out of nowhere really) - is a bit far-fetched.

If you don't like the look of the film, then fair enough it won't be for everyone, but shouting rip-off is just plain incorrect; The Raid simply had an easier / quicker path to production.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

And considering how Dredd was written and started filiming first, this would mean The Raid ripped off Dredd if anything

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

al28283 wrote: »
    And considering how Dredd was written and started filiming first, this would mean The Raid ripped off Dredd if anything

Didn't the guys that made Dredd actually comment on this when they saw The Raid?

It's just coincidence folks,if we were to ban every movie that was similar to another,we'd have no Rom-Coms ever again (actually that could be good)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭senor incognito

Okay, I'm just back from the Premiere in Soho.( I won a ticket)

No spoilers,-- all I will say is I recommend it: it's really a very very different animal from the Indonesian martial arts film. Mega-City One comes across as a nasty, frantic Knackeragua turned up to eleven: the film depicts some extremely ugly things in an aesthetically beautiful way and the the eponymous Judge is entirely consistent with the comic-character. Also,-see it in 3D if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Why are people saying its ripping off the raid? Cause they go into a big run down building and shoot out?

If that the case they both ripped of Punisher warzone and countless other movies :rolleyes:

nix wrote: »
    Why are people saying its ripping off the raid?
    The basic plot is the same, despite the films being almost as different from each other as 'Barb Wire' is from 'Casablanca' (two films which also share the same plot).

I've seen both, and what makes 'The Raid' work is the fantastically filmed and fought balletic fight sequences, but in fairness... the story the characters and the world are really hardly there at all.

The violence in Dredd is much more realistic, much nastier and more brutal but it is shot with an aesthetic sensitivity that elevates it to something else... and it has much more sharply defined characters, the world is more fully realised , the story's much clearer and there's definately a sense of a lot more at stake. Bizarre as it sounds: 'Dredd's the more grown-up of the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Was Judge Dredd in 'The Raid'? No he wasn't.

Y'all cop on now!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

Wasn't Dredd's script leaked onto the Net very early on?

Rael wrote: »
    Wasn't Dredd's script leaked onto the Net very early on?
    Yep, but there's no suspicion of the Raid people using it- it's just a coincidence that both films went for the same, simple, premise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I know Judge Dredd was the first one in production, but the reason people were and will compare it to the Raid is because The Raid was out first and upon first viewing of the trailer we can all admit that there are a lot of similaritys between the two.

But im sure from what I have read that when viewed all comparisons go out the window, so chill out people Im sure we can all enjoy both films for what they are :).

P.S The Raid is out soon on blu ray I for one cant wait to give it a second viewing :p.

Feck sake, Omniplex in cork dont seem to be showing it :mad:

May need to make a trip into town or ballincollig to see it.

• Advertisement

Check after Tuesday because it's on the Omniplex list of 'coming soon' on their website.

Check after Tuesday because it's on the Omniplex list of 'coming soon' on their website.
    Ya but them having films on their coming soon list and then not actually showing them are a unfortunate regular occurance :( someone mentioned disagreement with distributor or something before.

Well, balls to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Footy101

If Stallone could talk/act, he had the perfect 'look' for Dredd. That is all.

But not the perfect height.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Footy101 wrote: »
    If Stallone could talk/act, he had the perfect 'look' for Dredd. That is all.

I thought Stallone was too muscular for Dredd (coupled with the lack of acting/talking skills).

Clint Eastwood around the time of Pale Rider would have been an amazing Dredd. Or Unforgiven era Eastwood doing The Dead Man storyline - I'd buy that for a dollar.

Back on topic - really looking forward to this latest film of Dredd. They seem to have done things the right way this time around. Getting Garland on board to write the script was a good move - he's already said that if they get to make a sequel he wants to do the Chopper storyline which would make for a great movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Has this actually been confirmed to be showing anywhere yet? Can't see it in any of my local cinemas and am starting to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It's listed for Letterkenny cinema here. Unfortunately they're only showing the 3D version, and it's not even in one of the biggest screens.
    The 2 big screens are showing Lawless and That's My Boy. Think I need a new cinema

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

CastorTroy wrote: »
    It's listed for Letterkenny cinema here. Unfortunately they're only showing the 3D version, and it's not even in one of the biggest screens.
    The 2 big screens are showing Lawless and That's My Boy. Think I need a new cinema
    Theres a good one over the border in Derry thats showing both the 2D and the 3D.
    Oddly enough the 2D is 5 minutes longer than the 3D???:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yep. Was looking that up just after I posted. :) Haven't been to that one but I hear great things about it. Now is as good a time as any to go check the cinema out.

Advertisement