Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judge Dredd Movie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭senor incognito

I liked the Raid: and the premise is indeed similar, but nobody would say that the strength of either film was originality of the plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Even the Grauniad gave it 4/5!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

no Rob Schneider = me not seeing this movie. Schneider should always be in a dread movie :p

rob.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I had today off so I figured on catching this in the morning; Screen 17 in Cineworld is not a bad place to sample a movie.

Initial thoughts? Mostly positive, it's a very good action film, really well crafted and happily it has a brain between its ears (even if it occasionally likes to make said brains splatter across Peachtrees Towers' floor). It would have been very easy to simply make this an idiotic actioner with no sense of threat or consequence, but both are present during the film: it doesn't beat the viewer over the head but you get a real sense of the squalor & desperation the 'victims' lived in, and by extension, the world in which they're trapped.

The world-building in the film deserves special mention; even if the look of the Dredd world isn't quite the future-dystopia from the comics - though even then it works really well - the society itself most definitely is. I hope that if a sequel is spawned, we delve more into Mega City 1s world, especially the more overtly sci-fi elements (that too was handled well)

I'd definitely recommend giving this a go, and really shows recent material like Expendables 2 as the idiotic dredge it is; and frankly the constant nonsense about The Raid is just that; if anything is more apt, think of this as Dirty Harry meets Die Hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

pixelburp wrote: »
    think of this as Dirty Harry meets Die Hard.

A great review, but this line sold the ticket to me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

pixelburp wrote: »
    I had today off so I figured on catching this in the morning; Screen 17 in Cineworld is not a bad place to sample a movie.

Initial thoughts? Mostly positive, it's a very good action film, really well crafted and happily it has a brain between its ears (even if it occasionally likes to said brains getting splattered across Peachtrees Towers' floor). It would have been very easy to simply make this an idiotic actioner with no sense of threat or consequence, but both are present during the film: it doesn't beat the viewer over the head but you get a real sense of the squalor & desperation the 'victims' lived in, and by extension, the world in which they're trapped.

The world-building in the film deserves special mention; even if the look of the Dredd world isn't quite the future-dystopia from the comics - though even then it works really well - the society itself most definitely is. I hope that if a sequel is spawned, we delve more into Mega City 1s world, especially the more overtly sci-fi elements (that too was handled well)

I'd definitely recommend giving this a go, and really shows recent material like Expendables 2 as the idiotic dredge it is; and frankly the constant nonsense about The Raid is just that; if anything is more apt, think of this as Dirty Harry meets Die Hard.

Did you see it in 2D or 3D?

Would you recommend the version you saw?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A great review, but this line sold the ticket to me...

Yeah; Dredd himself doesn't have any soft edges this time around & his rookie is definitely the audience surrogate (insofar as you can have one in a world this depraved and beyond redemption), and some of Karl Urbans mannerisms and inflections were very Harry Callaghan. The Die Hard bit you can guess if you watch the trailer, but the Tower Block isn't just a convenient arena for the violence, it's a living, breathing slum & the film doesn't ever let you forget this - people live in this place.
    quad_red wrote: »
    Did you see it in 2D or 3D?

Would you recommend the version you saw?

3D, though not entirely by choice - Cineworld has almost hourly showings in 3D, but only one in two-dimensions, at 6.30. I was only in town for the morning, so that forced my hand.

I hate 3D, but to be fair, they make good use of it - primarily in the Slo-Mo scenes. They're very well shot in the first instance - trippy & beautiful, despite often showing violence - but the 3D added an extra layer to make it a bit more surreal. So in that sense, the 3D doesn't lessen the movie - as it did with something like Avengers - so I'd give it a cautious recommendation.

I know some people around these parts hate slow-motion scenes with a passion, but they're not overdone, often make sense in context & are just plain nice to look at, even when it's some guys cheek being blown out.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

One 2D screening per day in cineworld... ONE?!?!!? :mad:

Luckily its at half 6 so I'll make it my business to go tomorrow.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Galvasean wrote: »
    One 2D screening per day in cineworld... ONE?!?!!? :mad:

Luckily its at half 6 so I'll make it my business to go tomorrow.

Since you changed your avatar I read all your posts with David Schwimmer's voice in my head. That one worked particularly well I have to say :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Since you changed your avatar I read all your posts with David Schwimmer's voice in my head. That one worked particularly well I have to say :pac:
    I thought I was the only one. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tayleur

Just back from it and I have to say I thought it was really good.
    Throws you straight in from the start and it doesnt stop till the end.

Some of the slow mo scenes where just stunning and for once I would recommend seeing this film in 3d just for those scenes alone. Nice to finally see some good and intelligent use of 3d and slow motion. Well worth seeing.

As for Dredd. Well what can I say, he (as it should be) is the best thing about the movie. They got him so right and I personally cant wait to see what they can do with him next, in a bigger budgeted sequel that will hopefully explore more of the Dredd universe but still stay true to this movies vision of Dredd.

Well worth going to. Hopefully will spawn a new franchise for us all to enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

Great flick very faithful to source material. Amazing soundtrack too...

Deisler wrote: »
    Great flick very faithful to source material. Amazing soundtrack too...

Totally agree about the soundtrack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Another +1 on the soundtrack. Already on iTunes looking for it!

Great movie - thought it did justice (pun intended:) ) to the source material. No messing about - straight into the story from the word go.

I thought the Sci-fi elements were well handled - nothing ridiculous and nothing that distracted from the story and plot development.

I saw it in 3D (Screen 1 Movies @ Swords - a fairly small screen compared to the other screens) and while I would not be a fan of 3D I thought in this case it was fine - the director didn't seem to want to show off through 3D and it quickly blended into the background.

It has a passing resemblance to The Raid (in my opinion) but it has a lot more subtlety in respect of the issues it raises - you can see it as an actioner, or meditation on where society is headed.

Already looking forward to the sequel. I also see there was some mention / discussion on developing it into a TV series - if they maintained the production values that would be ok by me!!

Jawgap wrote: »
    Another +1 on the soundtrack. Already on iTunes looking for it!

Great movie - thought it did justice (pun intended:) ) to the source material. No messing about - straight into the story from the word go.

I thought the Sci-fi elements were well handled - nothing ridiculous and nothing that distracted from the story and plot development.

I saw it in 3D (Screen 1 Movies @ Swords - a fairly small screen compared to the other screens) and while I would not be a fan of 3D I thought in this case it was fine - the director didn't seem to want to show off through 3D and it quickly blended into the background.

It has a passing resemblance to The Raid (in my opinion) but it has a lot more subtlety in respect of the issues it raises - you can see it as an actioner, or meditation on where society is headed.

Already looking forward to the sequel. I also see there was some mention / discussion on developing it into a TV series - if they maintained the production values that would be ok by me!!

I guess we where at the same screening :) Pity about the screen alright.

I personally hope they go for movie sequels. I want Judge Death and he could only be done right in a big budget sequel.

All the same though it would make a pretty cool tv show. Just not yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Just saw it this today. Having been bored out of my mind by Total Recall and not being impressed by the trailer, I was not expecting much from yet another 90s remake. Actually I was pleasantly surprised. I have vague memories of Sylvester "I aaammm........the laaaaaawwwww" Stallone's contribution to the franchise, but this movie is completely different in tone. The sense of danger the two leads were in felt quite real and Karl Urban's voice sounded absolutely badass. There are a few moments of black humour (not cheesy) which got good laughs from myself and the rest of the audience at my screen. Despite a fair amount of CG to enhance the environment, there is a good old fashioned vibe to the movie. Recommended.

(My screening was slightly ruined by some dope at the front who clearly has no f*cking clue how to talk quietly. There was a trailer for a horror with Jennifer Lawrence and he said loudly to his female friend/sister/mother/possible hostage "It's f*cking Blair Watch all over again". Aside from the fact it is a horror, I could see no similarities between the two movies. Also, there is a rather interesting death near the beginning of the movie, and he loudly says "Ah just like in the comic" with the same enthusiasm as someone at an All-Ireland final. After that, I had to move away from him, but I could still hear his rambling during the movie. I'd happily pay high ticket prices to any cinema that enforced Kermode's Code of Conduct)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Long time 2000AD reader here - I thought they did a great job with this movie - and they did'nt make it too long either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Really enjoyed this last night! The slow mo scenes were fantastic, appropriate level of violence for a Dredd movie too!

That Hotshot scene was awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I was a big 2000AD fan as a kid - had issue (or should that be prog) 1 at some stage. Hated going to the dentist but loved nicking back issues from the waiting room:D Anyway can't wait to see this film but my missus hates sci-fi and probably wouldn't want to waste a babysitter on this. I might be able to persuade her by agreeing to go to Anna Karenina with her :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just saw it this today. Having been bored out of my mind by Total Recall and not being impressed by the trailer, I was not expecting much from yet another 90s remake. Actually I was pleasantly surprised. I have vague memories of Sylvester "I aaammm........the laaaaaawwwww" Stallone's contribution to the franchise, but this movie is completely different in tone. The sense of danger the two leads were in felt quite real and Karl Urban's voice sounded absolutely badass. There are a few moments of black humour (not cheesy) which got good laughs from myself and the rest of the audience at my screen. Despite a fair amount of CG to enhance the environment, there is a good old fashioned vibe to the movie. Recommended.

(My screening was slightly ruined by some dope at the front who clearly has no f*cking clue how to talk quietly. There was a trailer for a horror with Jennifer Lawrence and he said loudly to his female friend/sister/mother/possible hostage "It's f*cking Blair Watch all over again". Aside from the fact it is a horror, I could see no similarities between the two movies. Also, there is a rather interesting death near the beginning of the movie, and he loudly says "Ah just like in the comic" with the same enthusiasm as someone at an All-Ireland final. After that, I had to move away from him, but I could still hear his rambling during the movie. I'd happily pay high ticket prices to any cinema that enforced Kermode's Code of Conduct)

You should have "Judged" him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

It's only showing at one cinema in Galway and only in 3D! :mad:

Don't see how there could be a sequel at this rate when its limiting the market.

I don't want to wear glasses either while watching a movie ....what next? ...Hooking me up some electric shock machine so I can feel the pain on screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

In fairness the 3D is very well done in this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Meesared wrote: »

And we've heard that said in relation to countless films before :pac:

Looking forward to seeing this but will likely be late next week before I get a chance.

And we've heard that said in relation to countless films before :pac:

Looking forward to seeing this but will likely be late next week before I get a chance.

Other than the drug ('Slo-Mo') induced moments, the 3D isn't actually used, at least I didn't notice it outside of those scenes. Admittedly it was used in the titles when they flew at the viewer, but otherwise there wasn't any of that clichéd use of the format. It's use is inoffensive, which is about as good as it'll get with that bloody gimmick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Meesared wrote: »

Look, i'll take your word for it but I don't want to have to go the cinema and start wearing specs to watch a film. I'm just one of these people who is not all that impressed with the 3D format, it just feels tacked on to a lot films lately just to get a 'wow' factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

I'm really tempted to go see this but on the fence since I'm not sure I want to fork out money for a film that is basically the raid but with action that's not as good. (according to most decent reviews I've read)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I enjoyed it. 3d was rubbish though - that gimmicky **** needs to be abandoned. This may well be the last time I watch a film that way.

Some have complained that it doesn't come off well in comparison with The Raid, but I haven't seen that, and don't plan to because I think martial arts movies are retarded.

Memnoch wrote: »
    I'm really tempted to go see this but on the fence since I'm not sure I want to fork out money for a film that is basically the raid but with action that's not as good. (according to most decent reviews I've read)

That's the silliest reason not to go see the movie, especially when you openly say you want to; go see it and judge it on its own merits, rather than some predetermined bias, just because some people insist on making connections / conspiracies between movies when none exist. Look at it this way - in 3/4 years time, do you think it'll matter one iota who is similar to who?

It's a good movie, comparisons with The Raid are both unfair, somewhat inaccurate and petty; Dredd should be judged (ohoho!) on the strength of its script, its lead stars & the admittedly modest action. There's no hyperactive chop-socky but that's scarcely a legitimate criticism; the gunplay and intensity is there so again, it's a bit petty to compare two different sub-genres of action cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

3D is used well, who cares about The Raid ?

Just go and enjoy Dredd.

• Advertisement

FlashD wrote: »
    Look, i'll take your word for it but I don't want to have to go the cinema and start wearing specs to watch a film. I'm just one of these people who is not all that impressed with the 3D format, it just feels tacked on to a lot films lately just to get a 'wow' factor.

I would be the same about the 3d normally but in this case the slo mo scenes would not be nearly half as good without it. Im glad I seen this in 3d (no other option in the cinema) I dont want to give away why but these scenes just worked great for the 3d format
    As for the rest of the film, the 3d didnt matter either way.
    Memnoch wrote: »

Well then just go for Dredd alone. He is the best thing about the movie. Worth the price of the ticket alone.

Iv seen the raid too and loved it and also loved Dredd

Advertisement