Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judge Dredd Movie

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Enjoyed it surprisingly, as I felt that the trailers were horrendous. Also, it's nice for once to see a film like this that doesn't have a love interest or romantic aspect to the relationship of the two leads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

caught this yesterday meself.

thought the 3D was fecking useless. honestly maybe its the cinema i was in but i cant think of a single scene that benefited from it. i was already annoyed that there was no option for a 2D in the cinema i was at but that just topped it off.

as to the film itself i thought it was great.

not briliant but a good solid actioner that managed to combine futuristic and gritty nicely . in many ways i felt i was watching a sci/fi dirty harry film which is no bad thing.

urban was practically channeling clint at times in this.

i really liked how the relationship with anderson devleoped. the contrast between the two characters stopped it becoming just a tough guy slaugterfest - the handling of her PSI powers was inspired too. loved her interrogation scene. i echo others thoughts on how they managed to develop a good senses of danger for the protagonists. hell i cant remember the last time a good guy in an action film ran out of bullets :D

the critics have been pissing and moaning about this one on the radio as they didnt get their free viewing but i think you could do a hell of alot worse than to check out dredd.

the only thing i didnt like about it was being forced to watch it in 3D .

Hopefully itll do good enough to get a sequel as personally i think its set up nicely for a sequel with judge death :D

TBH though coming out of it all i could really think of is "why the hell cant i get my rogue trooper film ? "

i give it 7 out of 10.

if your squemish ya might be put off a bit in places , but its all very stylishly done.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tayleur

caught this yesterday meself.

thought the 3D was fecking useless. honestly maybe its the cinema i was in but i cant think of a single scene that benefited from it. i was already annoyed that there was no option for a 2D in the cinema i was at but that just topped it off.

as to the film itself i thought it was great.

not briliant but a good solid actioner that managed to combine futuristic and gritty nicely . in many ways i felt i was watching a sci/fi dirty harry film which is no bad thing.

urban was practically channeling clint at times in this.

i really liked how the relationship with anderson devleoped. the contrast between the two characters stopped it becoming just a tough guy slaugterfest - the handling of her PSI powers was inspired too. loved her interrogation scene. i echo others thoughts on how they managed to develop a good senses of danger for the protagonists. hell i cant remember the last time a good guy in an action film ran out of bullets :D

the critics have been pissing and moaning about this one on the radio as they didnt get their free viewing but i think you could do a hell of alot worse than to check out dredd.

the only thing i didnt like about it was being forced to watch it in 3D .

Hopefully itll do good enough to get a sequel as personally i think its set up nicely for a sequel with judge death :D

TBH though coming out of it all i could really think of is "why the hell cant i get my rogue trooper film ? "

i give it 7 out of 10.

if your squemish ya might be put off a bit in places , but its all very stylishly done.

Thought I read somewhere (maybe even this thread) that if the movie makes a certain amount at the box office they intend to make a sequel with Judge Death.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

I really really enjoyed this. Nice to see an action film that's not made with a view to getting as many kids in as they can.

I thought the 3D was done well it did nt distract from the film but its mainly used in the landscape scenes and the credits.

Its hard to find plot holes but I can think of one "that's convenient" moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Enjoyed Dredd a lot. A pleasant surprise considering I wasn't impressed by the trailers at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

pixelburp wrote: »
    That's the silliest reason not to go see the movie, especially when you openly say you want to; go see it and judge it on its own merits, rather than some predetermined bias, just because some people insist on making connections / conspiracies between movies when none exist. Look at it this way - in 3/4 years time, do you think it'll matter one iota who is similar to who?

It's a good movie, comparisons with The Raid are both unfair, somewhat inaccurate and petty; Dredd should be judged (ohoho!) on the strength of its script, its lead stars & the admittedly modest action. There's no hyperactive chop-socky but that's scarcely a legitimate criticism; the gunplay and intensity is there so again, it's a bit petty to compare two different sub-genres of action cinema.

Well, I saw the trailer and about half of it seemed to be a direct copy of the story of the raid.

Now I don't know whether that is pure coincidence or intentional, but either way that kind of spoils the fun of the story for me.

The reviews confirm what I thought based on the trailer. So now my interest isn't as strong as it was before the trailer come out.

Therefore, don't think I'll bother with watching it in the cinema.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Memnoch wrote: »
    Well, I saw the trailer and about half of it seemed to be a direct copy of the story of the raid.

Now I don't know whether that is pure coincidence or intentional, but either way that kind of spoils the fun of the story for me.

You brought it up before, and it was made clear that it's all just a coincidence, it happens. It's not a copy of The Raid, and if anything it would be the other way around given the lifecycle of both films. Dredds plot shares some similarities but beyond the setting of a tower block, these similarities are pretty skin deep. *shrug*

If you don't wanna see it then that's that, fair enough :) but I'd contest any reviews suggesting it's the same movie. What reviews anyway?
    It's annoying because god knows 90% of mainstream blockbuster cinema is recycled, so I don't see why in this particular case we get a decent, R-rated comicbook film and all some people can focus on is that it has some echoes of another film from a different genre, which Dredd predates anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Kinski wrote: »
    because I think martial arts movies are retarded.
    What's retarded about skillfully choreographed and edited action? A lengthy, intense and well sequenced fight scene can be an art in itself.

Nothing to do with Dredd I know, just thought that was a strange statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

e_e wrote: »
    What's retarded about skillfully choreographed and edited action? A lengthy, intense and well sequenced fight scene can be an art in itself.

One adjective commonly applied to that sort of screen violence is balletic, which I'd actually consider a bad thing. Ballet is an art in itself too, but I definitely wouldn't want to sit through one.

And I don't find them tense either, because they are so ostentatiously choreographed. Comparing Dredd with The Raid, Mark Kermode sneered at the former's "clumping" violence, as if all action films now had to feature dazzling martial arts (and as if that would be in keeping with the tone of Dredd's source material). But I prefer the "clumping" violence, because, even when over-the-top like in this film, it's still more grounded in reality than what you get in martial arts films.

IMO one of the most effective ultra-violent scenes in film history is the climax of Taxi Driver, where Travis Bickle storms the brothel. Ok, in no sense an action film, but the combat is in that scene is just so awkward, with Bickle blowing off one guy's fingers with his gun, and wrestling with another on the floor, groping for the knife taped to his boot - which is just what I imagine it would be like if someone pulled that stunt in reality.

For me, that makes for much tenser, more compelling viewing than any number of high-kicks or what have you from Jet Li.

The reviews confirm what I thought based on the trailer. So now my interest isn't as strong as it was before the trailer come out.

Therefore, don't think I'll bother with watching it in the cinema.

Unfortunately for you, you will then miss one of the best movies this year in the cinema.

I personally feel that having seen both movies this year in the cinema I got to see two great action flicks and I appreciate both movies for what they are

I personally feel we should be celebrating both movies and their qualities rather than putting one movie against the other, especailly when you actually hav nt seen both. Watch Dredd and then form a balanced opinion based on the fact you have seen both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Well, based on a the trailer, I wasn't sold. It seems very by the numbers.

There's recycled and there's I just saw that one month ago. I've seen enough action films over the years that just action alone doesn't do it for me anymore. There has to be some energy and soul to it which is sadly a rare thing these days.

Anyway... it's cheap on a wednesday at the Odeons/UCI, you guys have convinced me to the point that I might wander in.

As for martial arts well Crouching tiger still holds a soft spot for me but that was more for the characters and the story. But generally I prefer more realism. Zatoichi(2003) would be my perfect action/martial arts film.

As for the raid. I enjoyed it a lot, but I didn't think it was the best movie of the year. I'm kind of sick of 20 guys standing in a line and attacking the hero one by one so he can show off his skills. The final mad dog fight was pure awesome though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Saw this last night and was surprised by how good it was. Less than half the budget of Stallones film and five times the movie it ever could have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Forgot to say that I thought Urban was great, such a comical stiff. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

The Raid........Dredd..........just vertical variations on Blackhawk Down, the Gauntlet, 16 Blocks etc. They all just look different.

IMO, Dredd looks good, plays well and is multi-layered. It deserves a sequel and hopefully it's successful enough that as we type producers are perusing old copies of 2000AD for more material - Rogue Trooper, Strontium Dog, Ro-Busters etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Jawgap wrote: »
    The Raid........Dredd..........just vertical variations on Blackhawk Down, the Gauntlet, 16 Blocks etc. They all just look different.

IMO, Dredd looks good, plays well and is multi-layered. It deserves a sequel and hopefully it's successful enough that as we type producers are perusing old copies of 2000AD for more material - Rogue Trooper, Strontium Dog, Ro-Busters etc.

Rogue has been mentioned elsewhere about the possibility of a movie, would be fantastic.

Well, based on a the trailer, I wasn't sold. It seems very by the numbers.

There's recycled and there's I just saw that one month ago. I've seen enough action films over the years that just action alone doesn't do it for me anymore. There has to be some energy and soul to it which is sadly a rare thing these days.

Anyway... it's cheap on a wednesday at the Odeons/UCI, you guys have convinced me to the point that I might wander in.

As for martial arts well Crouching tiger still holds a soft spot for me but that was more for the characters and the story. But generally I prefer more realism. Zatoichi(2003) would be my perfect action/martial arts film.

As for the raid. I enjoyed it a lot, but I didn't think it was the best movie of the year. I'm kind of sick of 20 guys standing in a line and attacking the hero one by one so he can show off his skills. The final mad dog fight was pure awesome though.

Job done;)

Hope you enjoy it as it is rare for these type of movies to be good anymore.

Exactly.

Sure we could say the two where a copy of the French Zombie flick the Horde (2009) if we wanted to start doing that and we could keep going back to movies who are similar and saying they all copied each.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Tayleur wrote: »
    Exactly.

Sure we could say the two where a copy of the French Zombie flick the Horde (2009) if we wanted to start doing that and we could keep going back to movies who are similar and saying they all copied each.

We forgot Die Hard,hero stuck in a high rise building fighting against bad guys.

Maybe I won't watch Westerns ever again either as I've seen films with cowboys in them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

Okay I got to see this yesterday, and in 2D which shouldn't make a huge difference generally but given how few screens are giving this option I felt like it was a bonus!

I loved it. This is a solid action film, at it's worst it's a nuts and bolts simply structured action flick and at it's best it has some very memorable moments (
    the 3 guys been pushed from the high levels manages to be effectively nauseating
    )

I haven't seen the 'other' film with all the chopsocky it's being compared to, it's also being compared to Die Hard, and Urban's being likened to Eastwood. I'm not sure if this one has been mentioned but this reminded me lot of Robocop in some ways - the heightened reality, the female partner element, and of course the violence. It feels like an 80's movie (in the best possible ways) because it's taut, the bullets look like they hurt and it doesn't scream 'I'm a franchise builder'.

In my book there are 3 major things the film has going for it:

1. The story is simple - refreshingly after every other action movie this year seems to gets lost and convoluted with the story this has a singular narrative thread.

2. It's mercifully lean - 95 mins. Too many of the films out this year just dragged on and screamed of needing to pack everything in and equaling extra running time with quality film time. Nothing in this ever feels unnecessary.

3. It's violent - must be the first 18's action film I've seen in an age. I'm not some bloodthirsty movie goer but I think if you're gonna have a action movie that claims to be violent, make it violent. This is based in the 2000AD world and there are no holds barred, as it should be. Sometimes it's unpleasant to look at but I think that should be the point.

Staying with point 3 and this is more of a ratings remark (and moving slightly off topic) but the problem with a lot of films these days is that they purport to be action films but feel like video games* (the trailer for the new Total Recall certainly make it feel like a game) where the violence doesn't have any impact. I know the studios tone down the violence to get in the lucrative 12+ market but I really some action films can cater towards that age group while others should remain strictly for adults. Obviously I'm saying nothing new here.

* Ironically some of the video games are now far more violent than the movies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

fluke wrote: »
    I haven't seen the 'other' film with all the chopsocky it's being compared to, it's also being compared to Die Hard, and Urban's being likened to Eastwood. I'm not sure if this one has been mentioned but this reminded me lot of Robocop in some ways - the heightened reality, the female partner element, and of course the violence. It feels like an 80's movie (in the best possible ways)

Dredd is the acknowledged inspiration for Robocop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

Ahh...I didn't know that. Ironic how that came back around.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

slaine_h.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Indeed, in fact Rob Bottin's initial design for Robocop looked ... familiar:

5842750530_68364a565f.jpg

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Caught this lastnight. Absolutely loved it. Urban really is channeling Clint in this and it works very well. I was pretty sceptical the first time I saw a pic of him in the get up but well done that man. I love how relentless he is,
    when Ma explains the bomb to him at the end and he just says "This isn't a negotiation, the judgement is death", he was perfectly willing to risk the bomb going off rather than let the perp have their way!

I loved how this is basically just an old fashioned action movie, in a way it completely out does more tongue in cheek affairs like THe Expendables in emulating the golden age of 80's/90's action movies. Except of course with a fascist right wing nutjob as the hero, just a shame they didn't have him giving out about stinking liberals at any point :D

I was very much reminded of The Enforcer at first where Harry Callahan gets a female partner he's fairly sceptical of. This is very much it's own beast though. Managed to avoid a few cliches too eg lack of love interest (which is a no no for Dredd in fairness, just couldn't work) and also I was convinced
    Anderson wouldn't kill anyone until the final third of the film, but no they had her shoot a guy right in the face while he was begging for his life straight away.

3D was lousy, it was used reasonably well but added nothing to the film for me, I took the glasses off for the few scenes that were in 2D and was annoyed everytime I had to put them back on. Nowhere seems to be showing this in 2D though so don't let it put you off.

Overall, its not going to win any oscars but its a decent old fashioned action movie. As for comparisons to The Raid, they're pretty moot having seen the film, the setting is similar but the actual plot,characters, action and tone is pretty different. Plus its feckin Judge Dredd!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

100% on RottenTomatoes:
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dredd_3d/

I know they don't include every review that's out there, but where have people been reading these negative reviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

I really liked the film and thought the 3D was actually not too bad, at least it wasn't distracting or made it any more difficult to watch. The trailer was bad and not to mention the fact the it completely spoiled the ending
    Dredd pushing ma ma through the glass
    :eek::( Anyway im recommending this to all my friends and i'll be surprised if their disappointed, its hard to fault this movie imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

I thought it was a mixed bag; excellent in some ways, a little tedious in others. What I loved was how visceral it was, definitely refreshing to find an action/sci-fi not holding back. Urban was great and it was a great not to see him take the helmet off as that would have ruined the film (what is Bones doing in this film?! Damn it, I'm an executioner, not a doctor). The soundtrack was excellent, loved it and will definately be picking it up. Hate to repeat what has already been said, but the comparisions to The Raid are there and this film comes off second best. Still, I hope for once that they made a sequel, even if my first impressions of this film were mixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Is anywhere in dublin showing this in 2D? I have absolutely no interest in seeing another yet 3D film thats too dark and murky.

Edit-> seems like cineworld is the only place showing it in 2D so thats where I'll head to.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

What were the crowds like at the 3D screenings? I saw the 18.00 2D showing in Cineworld and there was a very good crowd for an 18 cert film on a really sunny day. Wondering if the 3D screenings were as busy. This is the first film were I had to really make an effort to see it in 2D.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    What were the crowds like at the 3D screenings? I saw the 18.00 2D showing in Cineworld and there was a very good crowd for an 18 cert film on a really sunny day. Wondering if the 3D screenings were as busy. This is the first film were I had to really make an effort to see it in 2D.

Cheers.

There was about 10 people in the iSense screen in the Point Village last night.

Advertisement