Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judge Dredd Movie

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Saw it today and loved it. Will be going again during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,204 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Seen it on Friday, very impressed, not much of the city shown though but maybe gives a better insight into the level of crime in it than a lot of scenes set in the outside would have, was more of an action movie than a Dredd movie if you get me, could have been used for a lot of different franchises and while I was very happy with it overall I'd like to see more of the universe in the hopefully inevitable sequel because apart from the opening and closing scenes you really don't see too much of what seems to be a well crafted city, even if it is the same for endless miles :P

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

Saw this tonight and have to say I was well impressed with it. I thought that Karl Urban did a fantastic job of getting the character of Dredd across on the big screen. I also thought that for a film with such a limited budget, what was done was done well. MegaCity1 and block life in general came across as being an absolutely grinding existence. I also liked the block graffiti nods to the various other Judge Dredd stories that pop up throughout the movie.

All in all I got a kick out of this and would recommend it to those who might be still on the fence about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Just back and quite enjoyed. Wife thought it was very violent and she is used to me and my zombie movies LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Just back from watching this in Sheffield; the other half only had the Stallone heresy (of which we shall speak no more) to go on and she absolutely loved Karl Urban's portrayal of Dredd as much as I did. I was a bit apprehensive about Karl Urban playing Dredd from the images I had seen to date, but he plays the part very well.

I found myself smiling like a child at Christmas through much of the film and have to hand it to the crew & cast for providing a really good - and pretty faithful - take on Mega-City One & the Judges. Yeah, sure there were a few gripes and one particular moment I didn't like but on the whole, a solid 2000AD rendition I think. The 3D also really enhanced the visual portrayal of the film; I'd definitely recommend seeing it in 3D.

Also ...
    the helmet stays on!! \o/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Saw this tonight and I am not a fan of the comics so my only exposure to the character before was the 1995 one but I was awear that fans hated that portrayal.

Really enjoyed this. It is really beautiful in places and I never felt the violence was there just for the sake of it. If you are suffering from a hangover I would wait till the next day before going to see it all the same. The plot is nice and simple and moves along at a decent pace.

If there is a sequel I will certainly be looking forward to it. Just out of curiosity what is the year in this film?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

phil1nj wrote: »
    .. I also liked the block graffiti nods to the various other Judge Dredd stories that pop up throughout the movie.
    As I was watching the film I was curious if there was much of this, and if there were many easter eggs throughout the film for the eagle-eyed, longterm fans?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

pixelburp wrote: »
    As I was watching the film I was curious if there was much of this, and if there were many easter eggs throughout the film for the eagle-eyed, longterm fans?

I saw
    Judge Hershey's
    name pop up on a screen early on in the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Sorry if it's been answered before but don't want to go back through in case of spoilers: Is there anything during or after the credits to stick around for?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Went to see Dredd with the other half last night, she was horrified by the gore and I absolutely loved it! I haven’t seen that kind of ultra violence since the original Robocop! I really hope that we see a few sequals as there's a rich history there to be explored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

seen
    chopper
    referenced myself.

:D

i dont actually recall that many but that could be because i was enjoying the main story so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

There were three or four that were pretty obvious:
    Chopper's tag was clearly seen in one of the shots
    There was also a reference to Kenny Who, multiple references to "muties" on severeal walls and I'm pretty sure that one of the stores in the block was called Otto's most likely a reference to Otto Sump. At the beginning of the movie, the ticker at the bottom of the screen also makes reference to stumm gas being used during a riot

I'm sure there are many more but I was pretty caught up in the movie to notice them (will watch out for them on the DVD).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

There’s also a couple of Fatties in the food court of Peach Tree block. Just a pity they weren’t on their little motorcycles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Looking forward to this, just curious though, does the majority of the film take place in the one block?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Looking forward to this, just curious though, does the majority of the film take place in the one block?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tayleur

Jason Todd wrote: »

Yep. I guess they had to do this due to a limited budget. You will not be disappointed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

I saw this today and was pleasantly surprised. Very brutal and extremely LOUD, but also quite effective in what it was trying to achieve. I loved the "The Raid"-like premise with the building and Lena Headey was absolutely bad-ass.
    Bit silly at times and the effects were terrible in some scenes, but it was aesthetically pleasing (especially the Slo-Mo scenes) and I never got bored.

I haven't actually seen the original nor have I read the comics, but I enjoyed that thoroughly!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I really enjoyed this. Was fun. I've seen The Raid and I think they're 2 completely different movies just with a similar premise. Kind of like Battle Royale and Hunger Games. This movie made me want to start reading the Dredd comics.
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who was kind of disappointed they didn't show her squashing up like an accordion at the end. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

good film for the girlfriend baring in mind she loved all the other cbms this year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Saw this tonight. Loved it. Loved the Raid too and they are different films really.

Some jarring sections with
    Dredd chasing an oul banger camper van that somehow escaped from mad max era Oz
    being a lowlight but a good movie for randomers and a great movie if you've read the comic growing up considering the budget- so a great movie for me:D

I hope they manage to keep the same gritty vibe going if they get a bigger budget sequel greenlit.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

good film for the girlfriend baring in mind she loved all the other cbms this year ?

It may be a comic book movie but its not a superhero film. Very different beast to the likes of Avengers or TDKR, it earns it's 18s cert with the violence. Can't hurt to give it a go though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭_GOD_

Loads. went to see it for a second time last night and noticed in order;
    Sternhammer block, named after Wulf Sternhammer from Strontium Dog.

The riots on the news at the start called the 'Fergee memorial rights' on the news, hopefully the film maker saying "we've killed rob Schneider".

Judge Hershey being referenced on the screen at control.

Hottie house in the lobby of the building he chases the first perp into, reference to the 'hottie house siege' from a one off in the megazine about 20 years ago.

The same scene, a 'Fattie' dead on the ground, complete with little trolley for his gut.

Munch stand in Peach Trees atrium.

Chopper and Kenny Who? graffiti.

Possible Otto Sump or 'ugly' in the onlookers in the atrium.

Possible Judge Child reference on a poster outside the phone box where Dredd makes his announcement.

In Ma-Ma's final scene the judges helmet behind her looks a bit like the helmet from the Stalone movie, but I only saw it for a second.

There's also a lot of the humour from the comic in places like
    the homeless guys 'will debase self for credits sign', the 'no creds, no meds' sign in the medical centre and the american flag only having 5 stars on it.

Saw it in 2D last night after seeing it in 3D and it holds up about the same. the 2D looses some of teh stunning slo-mo visuals you get with 3D. Loved it even more the second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Anybody spot Anderson holding a gun that wasn't her own as she comes to Dredd's aid? It was the big shot gun type weapon that the black judge had. How was able to use it if her DNA wasn't aligned to it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Red Hand wrote: »
    Anybody spot Anderson holding a gun that wasn't her own as she comes to Dredd's aid? It was the big shot gun type weapon that the black judge had. How was able to use it if her DNA wasn't aligned to it?
    It's the multi-purpose pistols that are DNA-encoded iirc - the Lawmaker I think they're called - the other guns wouldn't have been

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

It's the multi-purpose pistols that are DNA-encoded iirc - the Lawmaker I think they're called - the other guns wouldn't have been

Aha! Thanks pixelburp!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Its the lawgiver, and yes they are the only DNA coded ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Meesared wrote: »
    Its the lawgiver, and yes they are the only DNA coded ones.

Maybe because she was a Judge (although only a rookie on her trial)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Red Hand wrote: »
    Pretty certain she lifted what looked like a HK MP5 submachine-gun variant from a guy she floors after escaping her attempted execution, not the rifle the black judge was carrying; that was far larger. In any case, how would she have gotten to it without Judge Lex noticing since she entered the room from behind him, and what did she use to kill the female Judge with if not what she picked up before saving Dredd?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Really enjoyed it, I loved how gritty it looked (be it Mega-City or Dredd's helmet) and the violence - if you dig violence - is fantastic and imaginative.

While I liked the lack of back story, for me too many comic book films waste time telling us information we already know, the plot itself was not all that interesting. It was fine and serviced the action... but it didn't feel film worthy... like it could have been done as a mini-series or something (if that makes sense...)

Still, It was pretty damn good overall and I'd love to see a sequel with more interesting villains and developments.

Also.......................
    FACE-PLANT!
    ................................:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Thought this was excellent fun. No expectations going in and fully entertained going out. It was cheesy but hell, what comic book film isn't these days. Felt a bit like 'The Raid' yet still maintained a sense of originality.

Really enjoyed it. One of the loudest films I think I've witnessed in the cinema for quite some time too. Not complaining but I did notice one or two in the row in front of me who jumped a mile when sudden loud scenes took place :pac:

Advertisement